FAA just contacted me

I offered up my logs and told him I was WELL documented on facebook,

Understand where you are coming from ----- BUT way too much information, don't be intimidated by that kind of approach. Pretty lazy investigating using FB - however people complain about privacy invasions on a daily basis. Yet, on a daily basis they are constantly posting personal information about themselves - even hour by hour on social networks. Go figure.

Couldn't believe that list you linked eculuke, all those FAA reps and just for NC? Yikes, how many do they employ........that's a lot of tax payers dough for salaries and perks, so next time, make em work for it.

I just did a reverse lookup on his number and it came up on that page...I have no idea to what extent his actual reach is in this situation. Like I said I have nothing to hide.......None of my videos implicate me in any wrong doing....I was just amazed at the extent he was going video by video. Honestly I decided after this call to make my videos private.

Well, I think we all know by now that they're hawking forums. Just watch what you post and use privacy settings. Like I said, my videos are for personal use and the only people that see them are people I WANT to see them. Not on FB, YT, etc. Another flaw is titling the vids with words like "Drone, Phantom, flying, etc." This just makes it easier to find videos. On another note, if you're on the up-n-up and haven't done anything wrong or have nothing to hide then let the cards fall where they may. It's just a big hassle at that point.

Sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Don't worry. You said you did nothing wrong.

The FAA has zero jurisdiction over expression/free speech/art. Even the Constitution addresses this as "Congress shall pass no...

They do have jurisdiction over NAS, unsafe flights, etc. They also can extend a professional courtesy/heads up to Law Enforcement to enforce violations of reckless endangerment, criminal mischief, etc.

Just abide by the regs and use common sense and everyone is gtg.
To film unlawful activity with a drone and post it is just not a good idea.

Social media is a wealth of information for authorities to monitor for activity that is flagrant or borderline. Especially popular ones like FB and Youtube.

Sounds like you are good and handled it professionally and properly.
Now continue to enjoy your bird with a forewarned mind that people are monitoring.

As far as drone footage goes, anyone can easily download that from the internet and post that on any forum or social site. Are they going to get a call too?

there is no law against night flights

In both the posts I've seen they talk about height and night flight and eventually get around to 333 exemptions, which typically do have the restrictions against night flights and have a 400' ceiling.

Seems that the NC FAA people are trying to find someone with a 333 violating the terms.

Or are really bored.

Sounds like someone trolling as mentioned before. Really looks like someone setting up a scam. Next thing you know they will tell you that your fines can be paid using a pre-paid visa or some other hard to trace instrument. That one has been going around the Brazos Valley area claiming people have warrants or fines from traffic tickets.

A simple response: "is this in reference to a criminal or civil investigation that may lead to charges and or fines?" If yes: "please forward your information to me and I will have my attorney contact you." I'm not advocating be a jerk or anything but you could easily talk yourself in to charges. On top of that if it's a scam they won't want to give their info, only collect yours so it might give you some insight on if the person is legitimate.
You have the right to remain silent... Use it [emoji2]

Reactions: eaglegoaltender
Just got a facebook message from a guy saying to call him and identified himself as being from the FAA. He said he has had complaints in my area regarding UAS night flights. I mentioned that I didnt fly at night. He started going through every video I had posted on my youtube account (none showed night flying or any rules being broken). He made mention of the 400 ft rule in which I offered up my flight logs for his review. I also have an osmo and recently started doing realestate walkthroughs by hand for a friend. He asked if I was using my drone for this and reminded me of the 333 exemption. I mentioned to him I was looking to apply but was waiting on the possible rules change which he acknowledged. I have nothing to hide, I post sunrise/sunset shots on my local facebook community page, follow all the rules, registered my bird. I have had terrific response from the community, and offered demonstrations to put people at ease. This felt a little bullyish from this guy. He is legit...i wont say his name but he and his number are listed on this page.

https://directory.faa.gov/appsPub/N...VS-001/AFS-001/AEA-200/AEA-GSO-FSDO-39&ZV=I11
I would have said something like.
tell me your name and your supervisor and where you work, Ill call and talk to you there.

Reactions: Squirrel!
Contacted again via Facebook messenger

a2a6c6c2060a92583426aba90ffb2c11.jpg

Likely a complaint was received and their action list is to peruse the registration records in the complaint area for registered owners.
Then send standardized educational letters formally spelling out acceptable operating parameters.

It also nudges FB members and drone operators to not posts incriminating video. Looks to me like a friendly heads up guys, we can see you so don't post unlawful evidence and we won't have to take actions.

No more No less.

I would NOT offer up any info or even reply to these guys... Once someone has your flight logs and are able to prove where your drone was at certain times they could in theory make accusations that would match your flight log...

I would NOT offer up any info or even reply to these guys... Once someone has your flight logs and are able to prove where your drone was at certain times they could in theory make accusations that would match your flight log...
Responding does not entail turning over your flight logs.
If you don't respond, you will still be contacted by another means.
I've not heard of anyone of this list being asked for flight logs, but several have been contacted via Facebook or Youtube, sent safety letters and nothing more.

Contacted again via Facebook messenger

Dont even think about sending him your address. he's trying to intimidate you. if you roll over they will get more agressive and start messing with all of us. this guy has no right to harrass you.

I'd comply. What would it hurt?

You can, however, ask him (them) to contact you by email or phone in the future.

The FAA can and does contact people who post UAV videos, this is a fact. Just wait for the registered letter to arrive. They are doing this as they say in an attempt to educate flyers. I think it is more to intimidate flyers into the fear that they too may be in the FAA crosshairs even when breaking no rules. I understand contacting people who obviously are breaking the rules, not people who fly responsibly. And not for nothing, the rules are about as clear as mud so people can't fully understand them.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31