FAA Drone Proposal

Reaction score
Hi all,

Was just curious, I believe that March 2 was the end of the feedback period on the draft remote ID proposal. Does anyone know the timeline of and next steps in the process?

-Thanks

Reactions: ron-ep
COVID has slowed things down, but it's likely they'll have a final rule within 4-6 months. But will a total of 53,213 comments, that's going to create even more work. That's virtually unprecedented for comments on an NPRM.

While the FAA and DOT want this done as quickly as possible, they also want to get it right.

Don't expect a fast turnaround. But I'd be surprised if it's not out by the end of the summer.

Reactions: bhartwell
COVID has slowed things down, but it's likely they'll have a final rule within 4-6 months. But will a total of 53,213 comments, that's going to create even more work. That's virtually unprecedented for comments on an NPRM.

While the FAA and DOT want this done as quickly as possible, they also want to get it right.

Don't expect a fast turnaround. But I'd be surprised if it's not out by the end of the summer.

Thank you. I am debating buying a new Drone, however assuming to rules go into effect this year, it could well be obsolete in a year or two. Would hate to invest the money, just to have to invest again two to three years down the road.

Thank you. I am debating buying a new Drone, however assuming to rules go into effect this year, it could well be obsolete in a year or two. Would hate to invest the money, just to have to invest again two to three years down the road.

Sorry, I just saw this. Don't worry about it if you want to buy a new drone right now. These rules are a least 2 or 3 years from going into effect.

Hopefully we will have a change of administration and these rules that promote big business corporate interests to control the Drone airways will be shelved.

The biggest problem is lack of any plan (or apparently any intention) to grandfather older units. Even if implementation is still a few years away, who wants to buy such a relatively expensive item with no assurance that it can be used (at least outside of the very restricted allowances in the NPRM) in the future? I know I wouldn't.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.