Extreme cold weather flying

Good luck. Keep those fingers warm and let us know how it goes.
Thanks! Its 7:42 am here and a balmy minus 32C. Clear skies. Abit of ice fog atm but the sun will burn that off. Looking forward to flying!!!!

Didn't see it just the daytime and in sight at all times. I will reread
Here it is from the new rules:
Screenshot_20190205-075809_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: Ddubs63
Hey all, minus 31C test flight was a success, sort of. Only a 4 minute flight and during that time battery temp dropped from 25 to 22C so I cut it short. My screen recorder also wasn't cooperating so all I can post is the recorded video from the sd card which is uploading right now. Definitely too cold for the battery to hold it's temp, even during actual flight. But she flew without issue. My sister and brother in law thought I was insane (he also has a P3P but no way would he fly it today lol). Video to be posted shortly.

Here it is everyone! Possibly a P3 cold flying record!!! Minus 31C!!!

Here it is everyone! Possibly a P3 cold flying record!!! Minus 31C!!!

Congrats on a successful flight. Looks like it was a beautiful day. Where I am, it was plus 8C yesterday and today mini 8C - go figure! How about sending some of your snow our way. Some of our local Nordic ski areas closed because we lost most of our snow.

Chris

Reactions: 3rdof5
Congrats on a successful flight. Looks like it was a beautiful day. Where I am, it was plus 8C yesterday and today mini 8C - go figure! How about sending some of your snow our way. Some of our local Nordic ski areas closed because we lost most of our snow.

Chris
We have tons of snow to share!!! Yes it was a calm sunny day. I was very nervous, thinking, props dont fail me now! Mostly stayed over deep snow incase anything failed at such freezing temps, falling in a deep soft snow wouldnt have hurt anything. But she held her own :)

Ok video is uploading to you tube now, dam that was a cold flight, i will say i learned this: the barometer was definitely affected by the temp change, the AC kept rising on its own as it got colder and eventually i landed at almost minus 5 meters below take off altitude. Also the battery cooled off 1 degree during the flight altho I was mostly hovering and not stressing anything. Seems I found the line where it holds its own, barely anyway. Minus 24 C
So I believe I confirmed today that around -25c is the lowest temp a P3 can fly and at least maintain battery temp at around plus 24c. Minus 31c was too cold for the battery to stay warm even under moderate load. My guess is I still could have got a solid 10 minute flight for winter photography:)

Put the P4P up at -25C today thanks to @3rdof5 and the test flight info. At 91m (300') AGL and 450m (1500') away 7 minutes into the flight the battery had climbed from an initial temp of 20C to 33C.

Brought it home for a fully charged battery (swapped at +50% ~aiming for more like 65) and sent it away again.

Screen/iPad froze/turned off on return from 2nd trip so was without app details or recording details as I brought it in to land with the stick. Will heed the "handwarmer" suggestion going forward.
IMG_1522.PNG

Last edited:
Yes as of June 1st night flying will be allowed with appropriate lighting. It's clearly stated in the new rules and regs.

I'm looking into getting my Daytime Waiver.
Saw your post and it got me wondering.
A couple Google clicks later and see this Reg is for Canada only.

Enjoy!

Reactions: Ddubs63 and 3rdof5
I'm looking into getting my Daytime Waiver.
Saw your post and it got me wondering.
A couple Google clicks later and see this Reg is for Canada only.

Enjoy!
Yes I'm very much looking forward to being able to fly at night!!!

Put the P4P up at -25C today thanks to @3rdof5 and the test flight info. At 91m (300') AGL and 450m (1500') away 7 minutes into the flight the battery had climbed from an initial temp of 20C to 33C.

Brought it home for a fully charged battery (swapped at +50% ~aiming for more like 65) and sent it away again.

Screen/iPad froze/turned off on return from 2nd trip so was without app details or recording details as I brought it in to land with the stick. Will heed the "handwarmer" suggestion going forward.View attachment 108178

The problem you found is what I have been posting about on various cold weather threads ... the model is perfectly capable ... but the screen phone / tablet is not designed for being out in the cold. Its designed to stay in pocket or cover and only out for a short sms or call. We are making it stay out for longer and touch screens don't like it.
The personal keeping hands etc. warm is down to us !!

View attachment 108052

I flew during our cold spell here in MN this week. It was a clear day and light wind so I decided to get some pictures.
The store parking lots were quite bare for a Thursday morning at 11 AM.
I didn't notice any thing different during my flight although I was only out for about 6 minutes. My fingers couldn't take any more!

Enclosed is screen shot from my Airdata log.
Hi ya!
Where in MN are you? I'm in Mpls.

I bought a little glove thing that holds the controller and phone and your hands all enclosed . You look at the phone screen via . A clear plastic window .
925e48b8fd763cceba613ff7e4a44760.jpg

I bought a little glove thing that holds the controller and phone and your hands all enclosed . You look at the phone screen via . A clear plastic window .
925e48b8fd763cceba613ff7e4a44760.jpg
I have one of those too. I have the tablet mount mod on my controller so had to adapt the mitt by cutting a slit in it so the phone sits outside the window.

Chri

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj