esc errors

Reaction score
I crashed my phantom 4 , I ordered new shell new landing gear , and one new motor.
In the process of repairing I sliced the wires for the 4 motors and connect them then applied heat shrink
I did that because I figured it is difficult to soldier the wires to the esc .
Now when I start the phantom I do not get the starting chime . However the gimbal works and I could connect to the remote , however saying esc error 1 to 4
Any help in trouble shooting this .

Reactions: Tbird7
I crashed my phantom 4 , I ordered new shell new landing gear , and one new motor.
In the process of repairing I sliced the wires for the 4 motors and connect them then applied heat shrink
I did that because I figured it is difficult to soldier the wires to the esc .
Now when I start the phantom I do not get the starting chime . However the gimbal works and I could connect to the remote , however saying esc error 1 to 4
Any help in trouble shooting this .
Did you clean off the wires? The wires are enameled aside from the outer insulation, and not removing the enamel when replacing motors is a very common oversight which results in ESC errors.

Why you are getting esc error is because of you sliced the motor wires, the motor wires have to be soldered to the module. I know it is a difficult job but it is doable as i found out when I repaired a crashed P4.

Reactions: Droneted
Did you clean off the wires? The wires are enameled aside from the outer insulation, and not removing the enamel when replacing motors is a very common oversight which results in ESC errors.

In fact I did not because the sliced looked clean and shinny
IMG_1544061079.784520.jpg

The individual strands comprising the fly leads are simply extensions of the magnet wire from the motor windings. They are all separately insulated (clear coating).

If don’t have the equipment/basic soldering skills take it to someone who can do it for you. Unfortunately you have just butchered a perfectly good motor. It is more difficult to create a satisfactory splice than to terminate at the main board as intended.

Reactions: CradokaPhantomPilot
The individual strands comprising the fly leads are simply extensions of the magnet wire from the motor windings. They are all separately insulated (clear coating).

If don’t have the equipment/basic soldering skills take it to someone who can do it for you. Unfortunately you have just butchered a perfectly good motor. It is more difficult to create a satisfactory splice than to terminate at the main board as intended.

Any way to clean the sliced terminals from the insulator I am thinking of solvent

Any way to clean the sliced terminals from the insulator I am thinking of solvent
Mechanical means (blade, abrasive etc) or immersion in molten solder bath.

If your going to have a crack at this get serious and forget trying to just twist them together. These connections are critical to get right for very obvious reasons.

Mechanical means (blade, abrasive etc) or immersion in molten solder bath.

If your going to have a crack at this get serious and forget trying to just twist them together. These connections are critical to get right for very obvious reasons.

I think I have to replace the 4 motors now
But before ordering them ,having no chime on start
Can be the result of esc error ?

I think I have to replace the 4 motors now
But before ordering them ,having no chime on start
Can be the result of esc error ?
You can’t expect a chime if the motors aren’t electrically connected.

You should be able to join the wires if you take your time and have very basic soldering skills and an iron with sufficient rating.

In fact I did not because the sliced looked clean and shinny View attachment 106013
Wow. It never occurred to me that you didn't even solder the spliced wires. You're lucky that you got the ESC errors which kept your AC on the ground. That probably saved you from a bad crash sooner than later.

I agree that you should be able to fix it as long as you clear off the enameling, solder the wires, and insulate them adequately.

Reactions: JoBe
I have done dozens of these. It is best to just replace the motors at this point. You need a good soldering station. If you were near me I would be glad to help you out. Motors are fairly cheap.

Reactions: JoBe
Thank you for your help in my ESC issue
Just to update you my friends . I changed 3 motors and I found that spending $80 on a descent soldering iron pays back , I was using a 10 dollars piece of trash that makes soldering impossible and lured me to cut the wires of the motors , and then suffer with the very difficult task of removing the unseen electric isolation .
Now my bird is semi ready to calibrate and start flying again
Thank you all specially Ted4797 for your help

Reactions: Droneted and Oso

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4