Emergency flotation bladder

Reaction score
I live on the beautiful northern coast of California, and I often fly over water to get scenic photos, whales and so forth. I know I'm taking a big risk every time. I have DJI Refresh still active on my P4A+, but using it requires recovering the crashed or dunked drone to return to them. I know there are little water activated marker float kits originally developed for fishing gear recovery. Unfortunately it requires a minimum depth of water to activate, and it has a fishing line tethering a small marker buoy to the drone that sets a maximum depth that it is useful for. I think the useful range of depth it would work for is a minimum of 4-5 ft. of water, and a maximum of 20-30 ft. The marker float is tiny, and far too small to raise the drone.

So what I envision is a water-activated bladder, such as a mylar balloon, that could inflate and bring the crashed drone to the surface, and make it highly visible. It seems that this could be put into a small pack that could attach to the drone and that would weigh only about an ounce or so. A mixture of dry acid powder and baking soda would produce CO2 gas when water wets it. The trick would be how to keep the active ingredients perfectly dry until needed, yet allow water to quickly reach them and inflate the float bladder when the drone falls into the water.

Something like this would be far more compact and lightweight, and cause far less aerodynamic problems than the currently offered foam float and pontoon rigs that are available.

If anybody wants to run with this idea, be my guest. I could be one of your first customers. Discussion is encouraged.

Some time ago....i seen a video of a unit that attached to the drone and IF it fell in water.....the unit would water activate and send UP a day glo orange bobber and it was attached by either strong string or a length of nylon line....You nearly described it quite well.

Reactions: ArcheoDrone
I live on the beautiful northern coast of California, and I often fly over water to get scenic photos, whales and so forth. I know I'm taking a big risk every time.
Unless you fly in your backyard, you are taking a risk most of the times you fly.
Discussion is encouraged.
So if/when you have a splashdown and your drone is bobbing around in the surf 100 yards or a mile offshore .... what then?
I've seen some of your northern California surf and I'm not going out there to get it.

Reactions: trkr75
And you would have to have a big ocean going boat with twin screw props close and handy to retrieve the drone named "Bobber"
Good Post Meta4.

The GetterBack rig has water depth limitations that make it unsuitable for my situation. What I propose would make the drone recoverable with a surfboard or kayak, no need for "a big ocean going boat with twin screw props close and handy." Also wind, current and surf would tend to move the float to shore. It might not work in every case, but it would be a LOT better than the little GetterBack, and it could sell for under $100. DJI Care Refresh covers water damage, but only if I have the dead body to return to them.

I live on the beautiful northern coast of California, and I often fly over water to get scenic photos, whales and so forth. I know I'm taking a big risk every time. I have DJI Refresh still active on my P4A+, but using it requires recovering the crashed or dunked drone to return to them. I know there are little water activated marker float kits originally developed for fishing gear recovery. Unfortunately it requires a minimum depth of water to activate, and it has a fishing line tethering a small marker buoy to the drone that sets a maximum depth that it is useful for. I think the useful range of depth it would work for is a minimum of 4-5 ft. of water, and a maximum of 20-30 ft. The marker float is tiny, and far too small to raise the drone.

So what I envision is a water-activated bladder, such as a mylar balloon, that could inflate and bring the crashed drone to the surface, and make it highly visible. It seems that this could be put into a small pack that could attach to the drone and that would weigh only about an ounce or so. A mixture of dry acid powder and baking soda would produce CO2 gas when water wets it. The trick would be how to keep the active ingredients perfectly dry until needed, yet allow water to quickly reach them and inflate the float bladder when the drone falls into the water.

Something like this would be far more compact and lightweight, and cause far less aerodynamic problems than the currently offered foam float and pontoon rigs that are available.

If anybody wants to run with this idea, be my guest. I could be one of your first customers. Discussion is encouraged.

After using the Gettbacks we decided on a better solution as the failure rate for those were high.

We started with one and than had to go to two of getterbacks after we lost our first one in the lake on a test and never got it back.

Videos are posted on our vimeo site

So we designed our own product called the Phantom Rain Rescue Jacket.
Allows you to fly with the sensors off and it weighs 3 ounces.

We posted a few videos of a crash and float on the water.

Phantomrain.org
Gear for flying in and out of the storm

Reactions: ArcheoDrone
Model aircraft fail. But, it's no more likely to do so over water.

Just fly and don't encumber your aircraft with 'bolt-on' gimmicks.

DJI will likely find your crash was a result of pilot error which the majority are.

Any flight could be your last.

Model aircraft fail. But, it's no more likely to do so over water.

Just fly and don't encumber your aircraft with 'bolt-on' gimmicks.

DJI will likely find your crash was a result of pilot error which the majority are.

Any flight could be your last.
With DJI Care Refresh it doesn't matter if it's pilot error, they will replace the crashed drone. DJI Care Refresh covers water damage. I do fly over water all the time, more than I fly over land. The P4A has been totally reliable so far, but there have been some close calls with seagulls and other birds going after it, and eventually I think it will go in the drink. If so I will be out my $1200 investment unless I can recover the body and send it in for a replacement. I spent over $200 for a Marco Polo radio beacon so I improve my chances of finding and recovering the drone if it goes down in a forested or brushy area. The Marco Polo is useless if it's submerged in water. I'm prepared to spend a reasonable amount for an automatic float bladder if someone develops one. Maybe adapt an automotive air bag with the trigger device developed for the parachute system. But that would probably be too heavy. I'm sure there's a practical way to make a workable float bladder.

Reactions: LARA images

So we designed our own product called the Phantom Rain Rescue Jacket.
Allows you to fly with the sensors off and it weighs 3 ounces.

We posted a few videos of a crash and float on the water.

View attachment 110213View attachment 110214

Phantomrain.org
Gear for flying in and out of the storm

I considered that option, but it has drawbacks such as weight, aerodynamics, appearance, and interference with sensors.

This Thread brought back memories of an item we used to carry on our commercial fishing boats. It was the size of a tennis ball that we could throw to a Man Overboard and as soon as it hit the water it would inflate to a small life ring. It only took about 10 seconds to fully inflate and only weighed a quarter pound. Haven't seen them in years but I haven't looked either. I think it would work. KO

What about somehow mounting a empty plastic water bottle on top of the drone? Fasten the cap to drone top then screw the bottle on. Aerodynamics would change so travel slower, no interferences, but sure would look funny. Just food for thought.

I considered that option, but it has drawbacks such as weight, aerodynamics, appearance, and interference with sensors.

Weight is 3 ounces,
Aerodynamics , I think are outstanding. Check out the Drone Wheelie , as I push the drone abilities for testing purposes.
Only thing that makes any sense that mentioned is that the sensors need to be turned off.

The fact that the Drone can Float on the water and take off again. Award Winning in my book.

We just got done adding the Rescue Utility Belt as an Add on to carry Life jackets out to sea , to save lives.
Ugly as it may be. lol .

Phantomrain.org
Approved Vendor
Gear to fly in and out of the Storm.

"Nick"...Honest it might be good to take scuba diving classes Just In case you have to take a dive to get that submerged Drone back !

Last edited:
All reviews on Amazon about Getterback device say that drone owners who bought it did not have to use it yet, one said that the capsule fail not working at all !! after a plunge in lake.
I bought a couple of Gettrbacks a while ago. Dunked one in water, waited overnight. Nothing happened. Dunked the other in the water. Waited overnight. Nothing happened. It was a nice idea but just doesn't seem to be reliable enough. Flying over water is a risk. So is flying around 200 foot trees. Oh well....

What about somehow mounting a empty plastic water bottle on top of the drone? Fasten the cap to drone top then screw the bottle on. Aerodynamics would change so travel slower, no interferences, but sure would look funny. Just food for thought.

Aerodynamics would be messed up as you note. You could also zip tie some pool noodle bits to the legs.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1