Easy video editing software???

porl_hopkins said:
What is an easy to use video editing software?

At the reasonably priced end of the market there are many packages which work ok and are relatively easy to live with. For straight forward editing I use "Power Director" for the PC.

porl_hopkins said:

Adobe Premiere Elements 11 - soon to be 12 in 2 weeks.

You can get it in a bundle with Photoshop Elements for about $150.00

On a Mac would be iMovie
Already installed and super easy to use
Premier and FCP are far better and in a diff class as they are pro tools and iMovie is very consumer but again easy to use

marcus_canada said:
porl_hopkins said:

At the reasonably priced end of the market there are many packages which work ok and are relatively easy to live with. For straight forward editing I use "Power Director" for the PC.
I have a copy of powerdirector. Best I spend a bit of time and start learning to use it :D

Don't think there's such a thing as cheap and easy editing software and still be good. Personally I use the Adobe suite of editing software that includes Photoshop and Premier Pro.

Don

Iron Creek said:
Don't think there's such a thing as cheap and easy editing software and still be good. Personally I use the Adobe suite of editing software that includes Photoshop and Premier Pro.

Don
I use PS5 for photo editing

If you are serious about video editing, here is a review of the top 6. Most are in the $600 - $800 range, but like anything else, you get what you pay for. Our videographers seem to like Edius and Vegas the best due to ease of use and range of formats supported. By the way, I work for a pro AV company.

http://video-production-software-review ... views.com/

Hmm i have been in the industry for over 20 years and most Pro's i have seen editing have done so on a Mac.
Not to say there are not some production shops that use Win but COO and ROI for Win in prod ....lol

eckoner said:
Hmm i have been in the industry for over 20 years and most Pro's i have seen editing have done so on a Mac.
Not to say there are not some production shops that use Win but COO and ROI for Win in prod ....lol

If all you do is video, a Mac might be worth the investment. We use I-pads all day for Audio tuning but our production video is done in Vegas and Edius on PC's. It has to do with the fact that Mac doesn't support all the control systems we have to program, and we also use PC based Autocad for our engineering drawings. 90 percent of our industry software is PC based, more specifically Windows 7 as most of our stuff can't deal with 8. Our boss is the only one in the company with a Mac, and he doesn't even do video editing with it. We are in the Audio Visual industry, with sound systems being our primary focus. Any video shoots we do are typically edited and given to the customer in whatever format they require. Many of their video production people do use Macs and any further editing is done by them.

It might be my audio editing background, but I have found Sony's Vegas to be much easier than anything else I've tried. It is also very powerful in terms of the wide range of capabilities it has. It's nice that it can handle 4k video, as well as 3D (stereoscopic) video.

John.

eckoner said:

The OS is not very important, the high end editing software works just as well on both. The mac is much more limited and overpriced when it comes to hardware so id much rather build a custom win based editing setup then be limited to apple approved hardware and get the benefit of paying much more for it inside an apple box. :lol:

Most pro's I know have abandoned final cut for Adobe software if using either OS, and I dont edit with the OS but the editing program. I just use the OS to open the program and this can be done in anything that runs it and Apple runs on hardware that you can buy much cheaper for a pc or much higher performance for the same price. Apple was great at marketing and the OS works ok but is it worth paying so much more for? and its also much more limiting overall then windows is.

There is a big difference in editing software and I think for the casual user the new cineform v2.0 software will do all you need and is free. Then look at stuff like sony vegas which I know lots of guys use and it has been getting more and more features to become a true higher end setup. I use Adobe premiere pro as I have used it for quite a while, its not cheap or easy for a raw beginner but the only real limits are your creativity with this level of software but likely much more advanced then what most people will need.

Many thanks for all your replies and input on this matter. Guess I will have to have a go and see what I can get to grips with

I did take another look at the gopro software, I dont think there is much easier and the template feature is pretty cool if you want to use any of the gopro official edits and music then just change the clips to your own. There are a bunch of templetes you can download along with the few it comes with.

You can also easily remove fisheye now if you want to and I have always used it for colour grading most clips as its faster and easier to use then my higher end grading plugins. I only use those very rarely but if using gopro and looking for software to edit its definitely the one to try first as its easy, free and pretty good too.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20