Easy Battery Mods

The stock P3 battery is actually LiHV, not normal Lipo, if you read into the Dual Battery mod thread.

Right. I know that. The bird itself comes with HV Lipos...... but then people are adding NON HV lipos, in parallel to it. look at the link in post #1. Those are just plain everyday lipos.

The minute you hook that up and turn that on, the HV lipos of the bird are going to start charging the exterior, non HV lipos..... until.... BOOM!!!!!

All you want to know about battery mod is here
Dual Battery Mod At the end of the fist post there a doc done by Digdat which summarized the state of art in battery mod including this little clip I used too but the original DJI phantom 3 Phantom 2 Easy battery mods adaptor I agree,very smart and easy to use

:) cheers Surfer! I came to share the FAQ as well, looks like more folks are taking an interest to battery mods which is AMAZING!!

FAQ for battery modification

Always here to answer any questions! To those curious about times, it will vary .. my MS5200 gets me 33-35 min flight times. The MS6600 gets me 35-40min flight times. Don't put more than 600-700g of weight on the phantom ontop of the camera, as you can burn out your ESCs.

Right. I know that. The bird itself comes with HV Lipos...... but then people are adding NON HV lipos, in parallel to it. look at the link in post #1. Those are just plain everyday lipos.

The minute you hook that up and turn that on, the HV lipos of the bird are going to start charging the exterior, non HV lipos..... until.... BOOM!!!!!
Actually I remember somebody mentioned in the Dual Battery Mod thread that he used normal lipos just fine but they don't just give better flight time than LiHV ones.

Reactions: Digdat0
VPS is pretty much useless IMO so I have disabled it in the app. I wish I could remove it to lessen the overall weight.
you can remove the VPS from the bird, I've done it with no ill effects. Take off the plastic piece covering it, undo the ribbon and pop it out and good to go. The lightbridge module stays untouched, put the plastic back on and done.

Right. I know that. The bird itself comes with HV Lipos...... but then people are adding NON HV lipos, in parallel to it. look at the link in post #1. Those are just plain everyday lipos. The minute you hook that up and turn that on, the HV lipos of the bird are going to start charging the exterior, non HV lipos..... until.... BOOM!!!!!

With due respect, this aint gonna happen. This has been talked about in the dual battery mod thread alot and it wont and hasnt happened. I've flown with regular 4s lipo's piggybacked on my phantom alot (hundred times?), no issues at all. Infact, i've never read or heard any issues such as this. You should read the details in the dual battery mod thread, it will enlighten you.

Reactions: mandalay
Actually I remember somebody mentioned in the Dual Battery Mod thread that he used normal lipos just fine but they don't just give better flight time than LiHV ones.

It wasn't really flight times I was concerned with. I'd hate to see someones bird go up in a ball of flames, or even burn somebody's house down, because of mixing different types of LiPos. I've personally seen the aftermath of a LiPo fire after the guy accidently set the charger to NiMh. Not pretty. Burnt up his dresser and everything around. Good thing he was only in the next room and caught in when he did.

It wasn't really flight times I was concerned with. I'd hate to see someones bird go up in a ball of flames, or even burn somebody's house down, because of mixing different types of LiPos. I've personally seen the aftermath of a LiPo fire after the guy accidently set the charger to NiMh. Not pretty. Burnt up his dresser and everything around. Good thing jhe was only in the next room and caught in when he did.
Actually LiHV is an extension of lipo. So it works fine together technically and in real life as proven by @Digdat0 and other members here in that Dual Battery Mod thread.

Anyone here own a cell checker? (I do)

Anyways. Hook all of this up and turn the bird on, then hook the cell checker up to one of the external batteries. Tell me what happens.

Great_Planes_Electrifly_CellMatch_LiPo_26S_Balance.jpg

Anyone here own a cell checker? (I do)

Anyways. Hook all of this up and turn the bird on, then hook the cell checker up to one of the external batteries. Tell me what happens.

did that a few days ago, this happened ;) Only difference was, I flew really far .. and didn't use a cell checker.

ztZG39C.png

Get what you are saying, but it doesn't happen. Details are in the dual battery mod thread. The voltage in the external stays exactly where its at. The power draws from the battery, it doesn't go back into it.

Power could easily go back into the external batteries. It won't "stay where it's at". What's happens when you jump start a dead car? The voltage from the running car (higher voltage) goes into the non running car (lower voltage).

If you hooked 2 lipos together in parallel and one was at 3.8 per cell and the other was at 4.2 per cell, then you took a volt meter to either one, while still hooked together, you will get a reading of 4.0v. After a little while, they will even read 4.0v even after unhooking them because the higher one will charge the lower one. 2 batteries in parallel will always try to balance themselves out. The only way around this is with a diode.

P.S. I'm not trying to be an ***.... I'm just trying to figure this out. I see the dual battery thread, but it's 116 pages long. Any Idea where the discussion on mixing batteries would be?

This is an easy battery mod setup for P3's. I will post links to each . All you have to do is choose your batteries.

DJI Phantom 3 Battery Clip
DJI Phantom 3 Battery Wings
Venom XT60 Dual Battery Parallel Wiring Harness w/ Genuine Amass Connectors
Thunder Power RC TP2200-4SPX25

I am not affiliated with any website just the parts I have found for any easy mod.

Safe Flying !
What is the last item? Thunder Power RC TP2200-4SPX25. There is no picture. I am a visual person, lol.

Thanks in advance! This is awesome
Paul

I've been looking into this myself, and you bring up a good point about the mixing of 14.8 and 15.2 volt batteries. I also have not read through the 116 page thread, yet. But since both of these batteries are available, and the stock DJI battery is 15.2 volts, why would people buy the 14.8 volt one to begin with? The price is not that much different, is it the weight?

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor