Dyed props

Nice job!

Nice! Is the red really red? I've read/heard that red is tough to get right...
I used the racing red Rit Dyemore product. It turned out a perfect red for what I wanted. The Dyemore product took less time than what I have read others have used. That was 20 minutes max in the solution. I used have a bottle and enough water to cover them in a casserole (glass) dish. To get the deeper blue beyond the sapphire color I used a capful of black to deepen the color. I got lucky...I was guessing. ;-)

I used a casserole pan as well, worked great.

You say "solution"... I assume you just used water? I forgot how long I kept them in for, maybe 45 minutes I think? I got the "recipe" in another forum post. Glad the red worked out, might just get a set of props to try i t...

I'm about to try this also.. I assume you have to tape off the hub top and thread opening?

I used the racing red Rit Dyemore product. It turned out a perfect red for what I wanted. The Dyemore product took less time than what I have read others have used. That was 20 minutes max in the solution. I used have a bottle and enough water to cover them in a casserole (glass) dish. To get the deeper blue beyond the sapphire color I used a capful of black to deepen the color. I got lucky...I was guessing. ;-)

Are the props anymore visible when turning?

T

I used a casserole pan as well, worked great.

You say "solution"... I assume you just used water? I forgot how long I kept them in for, maybe 45 minutes I think? I got the "recipe" in another forum post. Glad the red worked out, might just get a set of props to try i t...
Yes, water to just barely boil, add the dye and go. The Dyemore seems to take less time based on what I have read.

Yes, water to just barely boil, add the dye and go. The Dyemore seems to take less time based on what I have read.

I've never seen the Dyemore before. Is that new? I'll have to see if I can get some...

This is a bigger shot of the pic I use for my avatar...

IMG_1089.JPG

Reactions: scootrkitz
I've never seen the Dyemore before. Is that new? I'll have to see if I can get some...

This is a bigger shot of the pic I use for my avatar...

View attachment 41162
Yes, it's new and (according to their marketing) is a synthetic dye that will color 100% polyester, acrylic, acetate, nylon and polyester/cotton blends.

Yes, it's new and (according to their marketing) is a synthetic dye that will color 100% polyester, acrylic, acetate, nylon and polyester/cotton blends.

So if I have any extra after dyeing the props I can make a tie-dyed t-shirt... ;)

Reactions: Innrkid
Very nice. I used sapphire with a couple caps full of black. It will give you a deep blue if you are ever after that look. I like the sapphire!

Good tip, thanks! I used 4 caps in 2 quarts, but the heat was lower than a simmer for the duration. Still experimenting. Just ordered 2 more sets of props to try other colors..

Just did mine with my son... Took it easy as to manage the total heat as well as rate of heating up/cooling down as it's hard to tell the impact of the processes on the props.. Seems OK but hard to really know without more time
2a4c97fda43d9feebcf9e5927366d688.jpg

RIT powder, denim blue (light) and royal blue (dark). 25 second on the light, 2 rounds of 25 -30 seconds on the dark.. Cool water rinse to set the dye.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I think many of us modify them in one way or another. I recommend the skin or sticker.
I just put one on my new P3. It was super simple to do & looks great.
And you ain't just whistling Dixie :)
FullSizeRender.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: adfischer

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers