Dumb operators also working in NZ

two cents...

Last July 4th, the television network's coverage of Macy's fireworks in NYC was all done by drones. And it looked great.

These days, I'm beginning to question the need for choppers for that sort of thing.

Yep good point. Here it would be a couple of thousand easy for the chopper. Maybe if it starts to impact their livelihood they might complaint a bit more.

Interesting, the pilot states he was about 1300 ft up, watching / filming as the case may be, fireworks being exploded over the city. Given this, we can assume this was at night. The “drone” was 30 meters distant, so about 100 ft away, give or take.

Now, at that height, it’s going to be quite dark, with light sources coming from the ground and city. The helicopter will have its navigation lights on, both sides, top and back, flashing white and red. The fireworks themselves will be putting out multicolor flashing lights, at various angles, intensity and color. Depending on distance, there may have been smoke and other debris in the air from the display.

So, we are being asked to believe that this pilot, given the extensive light distractions at the time, both internal from his own instruments and externally from these multitude of sources, picked out a drone in the sky at 100 plus feet away. The guy must have some sort of magic eyesight. What amazes me is no one bothers to confirm or even question the drone sighting itself. Given the conditions, it could have been anything from a balloon to a bag flying in the wind to a tired pilots imagination.

So, we take the assumption of a drone creating a risk at face value, even in so far as to raise and apply additional restrictions, without considering the validity of the risk in the first place. I wonder if the real education need here is not for an assumed drone pilot, but for the general public that take this sort of thing for fact.

Reactions: Africamedic
Interesting, the pilot states he was about 1300 ft up, watching / filming as the case may be, fireworks being exploded over the city. Given this, we can assume this was at night. The “drone” was 30 meters distant, so about 100 ft away, give or take.

Now, at that height, it’s going to be quite dark, with light sources coming from the ground and city. The helicopter will have its navigation lights on, both sides, top and back, flashing white and red. The fireworks themselves will be putting out multicolor flashing lights, at various angles, intensity and color. Depending on distance, there may have been smoke and other debris in the air from the display.

So, we are being asked to believe that this pilot, given the extensive light distractions at the time, both internal from his own instruments and externally from these multitude of sources, picked out a drone in the sky at 100 plus feet away. The guy must have some sort of magic eyesight. What amazes me is no one bothers to confirm or even question the drone sighting itself. Given the conditions, it could have been anything from a balloon to a bag flying in the wind to a tired pilots imagination.

So, we take the assumption of a drone creating a risk at face value, even in so far as to raise and apply additional restrictions, without considering the validity of the risk in the first place. I wonder if the real education need here is not for an assumed drone pilot, but for the general public that take this sort of thing for fact.

The report said that the pilot and crew saw it. How much confirmation would you like to see? Maybe the pilot was tired. Maybe they were all tired. Maybe they were all mistaken. Maybe it was a balloon. Or maybe you are just assuming far too much in order to make your contrived denial seem reasonable.

If you don't think that you could spot the flashing lights on a drone, at night at a range of 100 ft, probably against a dark background since it was reported to be at the same altitude, you probably shouldn't be flying anything.

The eagle helicopter (Police helicopter) said they saw one the night before as well. Unfortunately if it’s true or not the CAA (Civil Aviation Authority) have to investigate, which as per an above thread have found many times that drone sightings were other things (ie balloons).

Just pointing out that little old NZ isn’t immune from these things as well.

I think events like this will be monitored harder in future so they can catch anyone else possibly breaking the rules. Last New Years (2018 I think) a fireworks display had to be stopped in Queenstown due to a drone flying through it. The pilot was a tourist who said he knew he wasn’t allowed to fly but did it anyway. Got convicted.

I was just posting one of the many drone related articules below the OPs link .
We were watching the New Years fire works desplay on Sydney Harbour on TV and you could easily see a drone moving around (probably a large official drone ) It would have been 200m or more from the camera and it was easy to see.
Given the number of videos posted here showing Phantoms flying through fireworks I would say they were right about what they saw .The trouble is with these reports correct or incorrect is that the effect on public opinion is the same .

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj