Drone sightings reported over Newark, NJ Airport this evening.........

Reaction score
NBC News lead story tonight...... It is reported that drones have been sighted over Newark, NJ tonight, temporarily suspending airport operations there.
Back up of departures and landings.
Police are investigating and NBC News had no video or photographs confirming that drones were, in fact, flying over Newark.
It was stated by a pilot that a drone was seen.

More idiots doing stupid(and dangerous) stuff.

Certainly hope those responsible are caught.

I really enjoy flying my drone and I believe they will have so many restrictions put before us because there are some people out there that don’t give a [Language Removed by Moderator] and can’t follow rules[emoji35]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Testfoecho
Not necessarily.
Pilots report drones all over the place but that doesn't mean that drones were there.
Here are some other reported drone sightings, how many do you think were actually drones?
i-Cr8L9WD-X2.jpg

More reports encourage more people to think they are seeing drones.

Even with a firmware hack, are any hobby-grade drones capable of attaining 3500’ altitude in 25-degree ground temps?
Check out YouTube and see many who have made it much higher than that.

Check out YouTube and see many who have made it much higher than that.
There are plenty of hoax videos purporting to be Phantoms at such heights (although actually much lower).
Battery life wouldn't get a Phantom higher than 3000 metres for a quick up and back trip.
Winds at that level might mean you'd never see the drone again and low temperatures might also be a problem.

Yip must agree with above,have watched many clips and always wondered .. it might be phantom shell but what's inside it,,think one I watched was near space and landed,that ain't no phantom,,definitely a suicide run:rolleyes: but make conversation

Reactions: Gregg Kielma
I wonder how many so called sightings are because its 'news item' to report and actually are false.

The Teterboro (Newark) incident reports 3500ft altitude ... I wish !! No actually I don't - because likely loss of model is result.

It all reminds me of back in 60 - 70's - passengers and pilots reports of UFO's ... and the famous one where a UFO is seen flying alongside the plane ... turns out to be reflected tail of the plane !! Its a visual illusion caused by the clouds + window of the plane at the angle.

Nigel

Reactions: Gregg Kielma
Yip must agree with above,have watched many clips and always wondered .. it might be phantom shell but what's inside it,
Some of the common hoax videos are P2s but the text tries to make out they are more modern Phantoms.
The fisheye curved horizon and/or the underside of the motor arms gives them away.
They never show anything from the app to give a true indication of the height and probably only made 3-4 000 ft.

I do notice in the specs posted max service ceiling is “above sea level “ I don’t think that means total height above ground level where you launch. I have heard people having problems flying from the top of mountains because they are further above sea level.

Reactions: rounsavc
There are plenty of hoax videos purporting to be Phantoms at such heights (although actually much lower).
Battery life wouldn't get a Phantom higher than 3000 metres for a quick up and back trip.
Winds at that level might mean you'd never see the drone again and low temperatures might also be a problem.

The OP that I answered didn't say anything about Phantom or Phantom-like but merely hobby grade drones.

There are several "non-Phantom" hobby sUAS that can (and have) reached some insanely high altitudes AGL.

I do notice in the specs posted max service ceiling is “above sea level “ I don’t think that means total height above ground level where you launch. I have heard people having problems flying from the top of mountains because they are further above sea level.

Please do not confuse lift capability ceiling and max height by firmware limit.

Above sea level usually refers to the lift capability of the prop / motor / rpm combination. As the model ascends - the relative air density gets less and the props less efficient until you reach a height where lift = weight of model and you can ascend no more. If you were up a mountain sufficiently high enough - this would affect your flight capability.

Max height by firmware though is a set height by altitude reading based on barometric pressure backed up by less accurate GPS vertical. The FW is programmed to have a max height above the reference zero (take off point). It has no relation to Sea Level at all.

Nigel

NBC News lead story tonight...... It is reported that drones have been sighted over Newark, NJ tonight, temporarily suspending airport operations there.
Back up of departures and landings.
Police are investigating and NBC News had no video or photographs confirming that drones were, in fact, flying over Newark.

Certainly hope those responsible are caught.

The story I just watched on the news said the drone was at 35,000'??? What hobby drone flys that high? The news may have gotten the altitude incorrect. If this story is true we are doomed as a flying hobby. Please follow all FAA rules. Please don't ruin this for us that fly everyday and enjoy this hobby.

Please do not confuse lift capability ceiling and max height by firmware limit.

Above sea level usually refers to the lift capability of the prop / motor / rpm combination. As the model ascends - the relative air density gets less and the props less efficient until you reach a height where lift = weight of model and you can ascend no more. If you were up a mountain sufficiently high enough - this would affect your flight capability.

Max height by firmware though is a set height by altitude reading based on barometric pressure backed up by less accurate GPS vertical. The FW is programmed to have a max height above the reference zero (take off point). It has no relation to Sea Level at all.

Nigel

Well said Nigel

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues