Drone launch at sea to film dolphins

like it!

looks like a nice place but harden'ed.... tourist area? when is it warm in New Jersey France?

It's a wild place with 12m (40ft) tides, so most of what you see on the video is underwater at some point. And at low tide the beaches are amazing. The houses are for weekenders in the summer. We have 2 seals and loads of birds but no permanent humans. No real tourists apart from nature lovers on RIB excursions.The reef is 7 miles from Normandy

Oh yeah ... plenty to work with there and you did well.
That's a beautiful part of the world.
I sailed last year from St Malo to Portsmouth and shot the Gannet that's my avatar pretty close to there.

Looks like your dolphins are a bit more co-operative than the ones I've tried to shoot.
They come in close to the cliffs, until I launch and then go 2-300 metres out.
It's can be very hard to line up on them in the little phone screen on the P2V+ especially when you have to deal with the glare of the sun.
When the P3 arrives, I'll nail those suckers.
DJI02674a-L.jpg

Thanks for the feedback guys and the comments Meta4.

Your photo is cool; they are probably the same dolphins! Sometimes they co-operate and sometimes they don't.

Launching from a small boat is so nerve-wracking. The glare meant I could barely see the drone or the screen, the Go-Home is pointless as I am never going to get my boat back underneath a descending drone in a current of 4kts to catch it, the dolphins keep disappearing then re-appearing 150m away and sometimes I was down to 1m above sea level to try to get the perfect shot. I even thought a dolphin could take the drone out when it surfaced!

Twice I launched alone, drove the boat while flying the drone then landed and caught the drone is a strong current which meant that every time I let go the boat controls to catch the drone, the boat moved away. I honestly thought I'd never catch it and with 2 mins fly time left I realised (I was dumb not to think of this sooner) that to recover the drone I would have to hover it down-current at 2m asl then drift underneath it and catch it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31