Drone knucklehead . . . very UNCOOL stunt flying over HELICOPTER

Not saying he wasnt an idiot for flying too high, I'm just suggesting that he apparently wasnt within the no fly zone:

From Know Before You Fly - it seems to match the 93.71 lines:

Attachments

• Niagra2.jpg
    Niagra2.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 153
Very nice!

Skymonkey found the same. Again, the FAA apps that are provided for UAS pilots dont provide these details - and they should.

This would be a perfect image to Know Before you Fly, etc.

This is precisely why I highly suspect that in the not too distant future hobby operators are going to be required to take a test similar to what Part 107 operators are taking now. You need to know HOW to read sectionals and be able to understand where you can and can NOT fly. It should not be an option....

This is precisely why I highly suspect that in the not too distant future hobby operators are going to be required to take a test similar to what Part 107 operators are taking now. You need to know HOW to read sectionals and be able to understand where you can and can NOT fly. It should not be an option....

Missing the point, as a Part 107and private pilot, I'm suggesting that all airspace restrictions should be spelled out in the FAAs Apps.

Very nice! Interesting that the FAA App doesnt show this.

I think most agree - the guy was an idiot. However, if you were going to attempt to fly there and checked the apps the FAA provides, they would get you into some hot water.

This is the golden rule of the FAR’s. It can save or burn your A$$

IMG_0429.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice!

Skymonkey found the same. Again, the FAA apps that are provided for UAS pilots dont provide these details - and they should.

This would be a perfect image to Know Before you Fly, etc.

Yes, but on the other hand the "No Drone" regulations are posted in the park, and the restrictions are clearly shown on the Detroit VFR sectional. It's always the responsibility of the pilot to ensure safe and legal flight. And, to be clear, had he simply flown at low altitude to get some video then, while illegal, it would not have been such an egregious safety issue. 1100 ft was just criminally stupid.

I'm still a bit shocked that the geofencing allowed him to fly in that area.
I'd like to make two separate statements. The first one is that I in no way condone flying illegally and against the rules especially when it involves putting human lives at risk.
My second statement Is that I am glad the geofencing is not so stringent that it keeps all drones in a perfect box at all times. We live in a world where we slide back and forth between freedom and safety. If you want to be one hundred percent totally safe you can live in a glass box. And if you want to have 100% total freedom you will live in a world of Anarchy. We need to be at a reasonable place in between. Yes we all need to be safe and follow the rules, but that doesn't mean we need to have big brother control our every move. That's the equivalent of selling car that will not go above the speed limit because it's illegal. I do not want to live in a world like that.

This is the golden rule of the FAR’s. It can save or burn your A$$

View attachment 109096

Well, certainly looking up any flight restrictions using the FAA know before you fly website would be one of several steps to perform a preflight.

Lets not overkill this, Im just suggesting that flight restrictions should have been listed on the Know Before You Fly website, it makes things messy for all if they're not consistent.

Missing the point, as a Part 107and private pilot, I'm suggesting that all airspace restrictions should be spelled out in the FAAs Apps.

I missed nothing! Once the rules are more clear, similar, and logical the apps will follow suit and be the same.

As a community we grumbled, whined, and complained because sUAS rules were too strict and too cumbersome (Section 333). The powers to be were forced to throw a patchwork of regs and associated apps together and THIS is where we are because of it.

It should get better in the not too distant future.

Even if the guy didn’t know (and it’s a big freaking IF) he was flying in a dangerous location he was flying well above safe/legal heights and in a very dangerous manner....Period!

Again, nobody is arguing about what an idiot he is/was. Just pointing out that all information regarding airspace restrictions should be consistent.

Well, certainly looking up any flight restrictions using the FAA know before you fly website would be one of several steps to perform a preflight.

Lets not overkill this, Im just suggesting that flight restrictions should have been listed on the Know Before You Fly website, it makes things messy for all if they're not consistent.

True, one of several, but it states all available.
Overkill, maybe to the sUAS PIC on the ground. To the manned PIC who’s very life depends on it not to mention the people on the ground? To each his/her own. But it is a Federal Regulation.
I quoted it even though is not in part 107 but I think it should be. Safety is paramount.

Reactions: captainmilehigh
True, one of several, but it states all available.
Overkill, maybe to the sUAS PIC on the ground. To the manned PIC who’s very life depends on it not to mention the people on the ground? To each his/her own. But it is a Federal Regulation.
I quoted it even though is not in part 107 but I think it should be. Safety is paramount.

A couple of other posts in this thread have asked about geofencing and how he could have flown in that airspace, the answer is that it appears to have been missed. So, back to my point, there needs to be consistent information provided in order for everyone to fly safely. I'm only pointing out the disconnect.

Some have not updated their firmware and others use others apps and or non DJI drones.
This too I believe will be addressed in the new rules.

A couple of other posts in this thread have asked about geofencing and how he could have flown in that airspace, the answer is that it appears to have been missed. So, back to my point, there needs to be consistent information provided in order for everyone to fly safely. I'm only pointing out the disconnect.

Special Use Airspace is generally included in the Geo system as an "Enhanced Warning Zone" that you can self-unlock. This particular SUA doesn't appear in the Geo system, perhaps because its authority seems to be via a different mechanism, i.e. explicitly from 14 CFR 93.71.

Reactions: skymonkey
Special Use Airspace is generally included in the Geo system as an "Enhanced Warning Zone" that you can self-unlock. This particular SUA doesn't appear in the Geo system, perhaps because its authority seems to be via a different mechanism, i.e. explicitly from 14 CFR 93.71.

A full time restriction not in the FAA App - A problem for recreational people especially.

Then theres this from the FAA website:

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has partnered with Kittyhawk to redevelop B4UFLY, the FAA's first mobile application, to improve the user experience so that recreational drone operators know where they can and cannot fly. (B4UFLY Mobile App Update)

Again - if its out there as a tool, it just need to be consistent.

Reactions: steve 604
I haven't seen this one posted on the forum yet so here goes....

This UAS operator pulled a maneuver that I would love to see him go to jail, get fined heavily, and forbidden to ever own any type of UAS ever again.

Please discuss but do so with respect and decency.

Allen

I would guess that the operator was blissfully unaware of the helicopter. You seem to be suggesting that the UAS operator PURPOSELY flew close to the helicopter. i.e. "pulled a maneuver." Perhaps not???

The UAS operator appears to be a LOT higher than 400' AGL. I'd guess 1,000' AGL or more. Because of this great altitude, he may not of heard or seen the helicopter, which can be seen and heard extremely well @ 400' AGL. 3 or 4 times last year I dove down to 100' AGL when I heard a helicopter. I'm not excusing his behavior, I'm just saying that I don't believe he purposely played chicken with a helicopter. Perhaps you didn't mean to suggest that.

D

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl