Drone knucklehead . . . very UNCOOL stunt flying over HELICOPTER

I still dont understand why the geofencing on his phantom 4 pro, allowed him to fly in that area. I do think dji has much more work to do on their geofencing software.

But the most dangerous drone flight I've seen yet, is the case where this Chinese kid flys his mavic pro up about 1500 feet, and lands on top of a building so that he can fly up about another 1500 feet, and fly over the Shanghai Tower. Then on the way down, his battery almost drops over a freeway.

That is completely incorrect. The unmanned aircraft must yield, at all times, to manned aircraft. This is not a case of one manned aircraft overtaking another. It is a drone flying illegally in restricted airspace at 1100 ft AGL in the flight path of a helicopter.
I'm confused by your statement, are you trying to insinuate that if a drone operator is unable to yeild in time, then it's automatically their fault? Drone pilots are supposed to give right away to manned aircraft, but if something unavoidable happens; it dosen't necessarily place all blame on the drone pilot. There are other factors. Manned aircraft pilots have an obligation to obey the law to a very high existent.

I still dont understand why the geofencing on his phantom 4 pro, allowed him to fly in that area. I do think dji has much more work to do on their geofencing software.

You do realize for every software limit there are at least 3 people/companies working on a hack/loop hole for it right?

You do realize for every software limit there are at least 3 people/companies working on a hack/loop hole for it right?

He said that he thought it was ok to fly there because he got no geofencing warnings.

I'm confused by your statement, are you trying to insinuate that if a drone operator is unable to yeild in time, then it's automatically their fault? Drone pilots are supposed to give right away to manned aircraft, but if something unavoidable happens; it dosen't necessarily place all blame on the drone pilot. There are other factors. Manned aircraft pilots have an obligation to obey the law to a very high existent.

I wasn't insinuating it - I was stating it unambiguously. It is the sole responsibility of the drone operator not to conflict with manned traffic, in any situation. At 1100 ft in a restricted special use area it's illegal for him to be there at all. You should probably read 14 CFR Part 107 and Part 101 subpart E before you consider flying.

I thought you were joking. The river is flowing and the spray is visibly drifting. Try downloading the video and watching it frame by frame if you can't see at normal speed.

I’ve watched it on my phone several times and the river and spray seems completely frozen. I’ll see it on my PC when I get home.

I’ve watched it on my phone several times and the river and spray seems completely frozen. I’ll see it on my PC when I get home.

Just to be clear - you are not actually suggesting that you think this is bad CGI or some other kind of faked video, are you?

On a larger format monitor you'll see water movement specifically around the 3-6 sec mark and probably more but that's the point where I saw it clearly on my monitor.

Reactions: skymonkey
I wasn't insinuating it - I was stating it unambiguously. It is the sole responsibility of the drone operator not to conflict with manned traffic, in any situation. At 1100 ft in a restricted special use area it's illegal for him to be there at all. You should probably read 14 CFR Part 107 and Part 101 subpart E before you consider flying.
I never said that he was in the right, and I have read the laws you referred to. Also, I have to check my charts where I fly because we have manned aircraft pilots here where I'm at that think it's ok to barrel over tree lines at a 160 foot altitude in class g airspace across private property, and by the time you hear them, they are already passing you. I rarely take my drone up past 130 feet anymore, and try to stay right on the tree tops. We also have other maniacs that think it's ok to bring their plane down and skim it across the river where there are boats and stuff.

I never said that he was in the right, and I have read the laws you referred to. Also, I have to check my charts where I fly because we have manned aircraft pilots here where I'm at that think it's ok to barrel over tree lines at a 160 foot altitude in class g airspace across private property, and by the time you hear them, they are already passing you. I rarely take my drone up past 130 feet anymore, and try to stay right on the tree tops. We also have other maniacs that think it's ok to bring their plane down and skim it across the river where there are boats and stuff.

If you have read the laws then how did you imagine it was accurate to assert that a helicopter pilot, at 1100 ft AGL, was responsible for seeing and avoiding small unmanned aircraft that shouldn't be there?

Anecdotes about manned aircraft flying recklessly elsewhere is entirely irrelevant to this event, but you can certainly report them to the FAA if you feel that they were breaking the law.

Reactions: jackcutrone
If you have read the laws then how did you imagine it was accurate to assert that a helicopter pilot, at 1100 ft AGL, was responsible for seeing and avoiding small unmanned aircraft that shouldn't be there?

Anecdotes about manned aircraft flying recklessly elsewhere is entirely irrelevant to this event, but you can certainly report them to the FAA if you feel that they were breaking the law.
Why are you trying to put words in my mouth? I never said he could fly there. We dont know how high he was flying ether. Not that it matters, because he now knows he wasn't supposed to be flying there.

As far as the knuckleheads we have flying around here, if they would slow down a little, then maybe it would give enough time to get the FA# off their plane, but they just dont give you enough time to do that.

Why are you trying to put words in my mouth? I never said he could fly there. We dont know how high he was flying ether. Not that it matters, because he now knows he wasn't supposed to be flying there.

As far as the knuckleheads we have flying around here, if they would slow down a little, then maybe it would give enough time to get the FA# off their plane, but they just dont give you enough time to do that.

You disputed my correction to this post:

If the quadcopter is in restricted airspace that's one thing (violation on the part of the quadcopter). Both pilots have an obligation to see and avoid. The pilot of an overtaking aircraft has the obligation to maneuver to avoid the aircraft being overtaken.

by arguing that it's not the drone pilot's fault if he cannot yield in time. It is his fault. And I assumed, given the thread that you posted in, that you were, by association, arguing that it was the helicopter pilot's responsibility to avoid the drone. If you were referring to other situations where the manned aircraft was being flown recklessly then I agree - it gets to be a bit of a grey area even though the law is still clear on right of way.

This drone was at 1100 ft AGL - it's trivial to calculate from the field of view of the camera on the P4P.

Reactions: jackcutrone
You disputed my correction to this post:

by arguing that it's not the drone pilot's fault if he cannot yield in time. It is his fault. And I assumed, given the thread that you posted in, that you were, by association, arguing that it was the helicopter pilot's responsibility to avoid the drone. If you were referring to other situations where the manned aircraft was being flown recklessly then I agree - it gets to be a bit of a grey area even though the law is still clear on right of way.

This drone was at 1100 ft AGL - it's trivial to calculate from the field of view of the camera on the P4P.

Well, if he was flying in VLOS, he should of heard the helicopter coming. My guess is he heard it, but couldn't see it; and if his drone was at 1100 feet, then couldn't see that ether. He certainly didnt do himself any favors by posting his crime on YouTube. I wonder if he reported his near miss to the FAA? Maybe he dosen't know he's supposed to do that

I must've missed it. How did you find out his AGL?

I think you'll see the answer in this post (color and bold added by me for emphasis):

Reactions: Ansia

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor