Drone In Mexico Experience

Reaction score
I was trying to search the most current information about bringing drones in Mexico from the US before our vacation in August 2017. The latest post I found was in July 2017 and the post recommended not to bring drones.

Well, I took my chances and brought my P3S with me to Cancun, Mexico for our trip. So as of August 2017, there are NO issues in bringing Phantom 3S to Mexico.

Our flight was out of LAX with AeroMexico with a layover to Guadalajara and then to Cancun, same flight and layover going back. I had my P3S as a handcarry using a drone backpack (Similar to Manfrotto D1). In my backpack, I had 3 P3S batteries, a mirrorless APC, a GoPro, a Yi, and a Gear 360 cameras with extra batteries for all the cameras. I also had a Zhiyun Crane M. I was worried I might get pulled for bringing too much cameras, but I had no issues going through security in LAX, Mexico, and also when coming back. I also brought my receipt for the drone and weight information in case, but I never pulled it out.

Flying in Mexico was also a non issue. I only flew in our resort area and I asked the security guy if I can fly my drone. He only checked if I am a guest in the resort using his ipad and radio in his other security friends that I will be flying. After that he said enjoy flying and stay away from the hotel room balcony.

I only flew the drone in the morning time, because in the afternoon a police helicopter flies along the coast line at a very low altitude. I flew everyday and almost lost my drone 3 times. First, I went behind a building and lost my connection. Luckily, my RTH altitude was high enough to clear the building. Second, I was hoovering above the ocean and a gust of wind passed through pushing the drone down the ocean. Good thing the drone's altitude was high and was able recover before hitting the Caribbean ocean. Last, I sent the drone filming the coast as far as it can until it lost connection. I was expecting for RTH to kick in, but it never did. Waited for almost 5 mins that felt forever for it to come back but nothing. I restarted the DJI app and that didnt help. I already gave up thinking I lost the drone, but as a last resort I started walking towards the drone where I sent it hoping I get a connection. 10 mins of walking I started to hear the buzzing sound of the drone and saw it returning back. The RTH after the connection to the RC was lost didnt kick in, but the low battery RTH kicked in. I ran toward the RTH location to try to catch it because I started next to cliff and P3S RTH landing is not that accurate. I was able to catch it and came back home with the drone. Moral of the experience is that do not fly behind buildings, do not fly low altitude above the ocean, and trust your equipment.

I hope this help other people going to Mexico soon.

Short video montage of our vacation.

Last edited:
From everything I have read taking a drone to Mexico is a roll of the dice. I've read stories of drones being confiscated and never returned and pilots being fined and drone confiscated. Other people like you have a good experience. From what I gather it just depends on where you are and who you encounter. Glad you had a good experience.

Reactions: pyr8cd
Mexico is a very curupt country but it has been getting better, for some unexplained reason the criminal element have been vanishing from the country and no one has any idea or records where they have gone.

Reactions: Daddy-Rabbit
Thanks for posting this useful information. I'm going to Guanajuato to study Spanish for 4 months and was thinking about bringing a drone. The language school does lots of excursions and showing the places by drone could be really cool. After studying Spanish I will be doing a bike tour from Cancun to Panama and thought drone footage would add a nice dimension to my story telling. Funny enough, I have almost all the same gear as you. Lots of batteries and cables too! Thanks again! Sylvia

I was trying to search the most current information about bringing drones in Mexico from the US before our vacation in August 2017. The latest post I found was in July 2017 and the post recommended not to bring drones.

Well, I took my chances and brought my P3S with me to Cancun, Mexico for our trip. So as of August 2017, there are NO issues in bringing Phantom 3S to Mexico.

Our flight was out of LAX with AeroMexico with a layover to Guadalajara and then to Cancun, same flight and layover going back. I had my P3S as a handcarry using a drone backpack (Similar to Manfrotto D1). In my backpack, I had 3 P3S batteries, a mirrorless APC, a GoPro, a Yi, and a Gear 360 cameras with extra batteries for all the cameras. I also had a Zhiyun Crane M. I was worried I might get pulled for bringing too much cameras, but I had no issues going through security in LAX, Mexico, and also when coming back. I also brought my receipt for the drone and weight information in case, but I never pulled it out.

Flying in Mexico was also a non issue. I only flew in our resort area and I asked the security guy if I can fly my drone. He only checked if I am a guest in the resort using his ipad and radio in his other security friends that I will be flying. After that he said enjoy flying and stay away from the hotel room balcony.

I only flew the drone in the morning time, because in the afternoon a police helicopter flies along the coast line at a very low altitude. I flew everyday and almost lost my drone 3 times. First, I went behind a building and lost my connection. Luckily, my RTH altitude was high enough to clear the building. Second, I was hoovering above the ocean and a gust of wind passed through pushing the drone down the ocean. Good thing the drone's altitude was high and was able recover before hitting the Caribbean ocean. Last, I sent the drone filming the coast as far as it can until it lost connection. I was expecting for RTH to kick in, but it never did. Waited for almost 5 mins that felt forever for it to come back but nothing. I restarted the DJI app and that didnt help. I already gave up thinking I lost the drone, but as a last resort I started walking towards the drone where I sent it hoping I get a connection. 10 mins of walking I started to hear the buzzing sound of the drone and saw it returning back. The RTH after the connection to the RC was lost didnt kick in, but the low battery RTH kicked in. I ran toward the RTH location to try to catch it because I started next to cliff and P3S RTH landing is not that accurate. I was able to catch it and came back home with the drone. Moral of the experience is that do not fly behind buildings, do not fly low altitude above the ocean, and trust your equipment.

I hope this help other people going to Mexico soon.

I only flew the drone in the morning time, because in the afternoon a police helicopter flies along the coast line at a very low altitude. I flew everyday and almost lost my drone 3 times. First, I went behind a building and lost my connection. Luckily, my RTH altitude was high enough to clear the building. Second, I was hoovering above the ocean and a gust of wind passed through pushing the drone down the ocean. Good thing the drone's altitude was high and was able recover before hitting the Caribbean ocean. Last, I sent the drone filming the coast as far as it can until it lost connection. I was expecting for RTH to kick in, but it never did. Waited for almost 5 mins that felt forever for it to come back but nothing. I restarted the DJI app and that didnt help. I already gave up thinking I lost the drone, but as a last resort I started walking towards the drone where I sent it hoping I get a connection.
Thanks for posting this useful information. I'm going to Guanajuato to study Spanish for 4 months and was thinking about bringing a drone. The language school does lots of excursions and showing the places by drone could be really cool. After studying Spanish I will be doing a bike tour from Cancun to Panama and thought drone footage would add a nice dimension to my story telling. Funny enough, I have almost all the same gear as you. Lots of batteries and cables too! Thanks again! Sylvia
You are welcome. Here is a video montage of our trip.

Israel M Guevara

Glad you had a good experience with getting in/out with your bird.

I lost my P3S the same way you almost did. It did not RTH when it lost signal. While it was off in lala land, it found a tower.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z