Drone by Police Copter

Interesting read. It might be like the Canadian incident, both the drone and the helicopter belonged to the police. If it was a restricted airspace the app would have kept him from flying there, so he most likely had to have permission. If that was the case, you'll never hear any more about it.

Reactions: dronesky
Interesting read. It might be like the Canadian incident, both the drone and the helicopter belonged to the police. If it was a restricted airspace the app would have kept him from flying there, so he most likely had to have permission. If that was the case, you'll never hear any more about it.
That's always the problem never a follow up story to these leaves you wondering

Reactions: WV. Rootman
Not sure if this was already posted looks like a Inspire got awfully close to police copter
" What are your thoughts on the incident? Who do you think was at fault? Share your thoughts in the comments below. "

Too many unknowns to address this adequately. You don't know if the pilot had authorization to be in the controlled airspace at the time. You don't know what altitude the incident occurred. I personally think the person at the controls was asleep at the wheel at best, but my judgement is colored by two incidents where rotorheads buzzed me at or below 100 feet AGL with proper notifications and a NOTAM covering my flight on state land. General aviation has its share of idiots as well.

Bottom line; the RPIC failed to exercise see and avoid IMHO and yield the airspace regardless of other extraneous factors.

" What are your thoughts on the incident? Who do you think was at fault? Share your thoughts in the comments below. "

Too many unknowns to address this adequately. You don't know if the pilot had authorization to be in the controlled airspace at the time. You don't know what altitude the incident occurred. I personally think the person at the controls was asleep at the wheel at best, but my judgement is colored by two incidents where rotorheads buzzed me at or below 100 feet AGL with proper notifications and a NOTAM covering my flight on state land. General aviation has its share of idiots as well.

Bottom line; the RPIC failed to exercise see and avoid IMHO and yield the airspace regardless of other extraneous factors.
To many variables to sort out need more info one thing for sure that Inspire in helicopter rotor wash wasn't good or safe flying

Reactions: BigAl07

Its interesting to note that
Comments and reactions for this thread are now closed.
with only one comment and it's a dumb one to say the least. Seems strange unless they were inundated and had to clean up the mess and left ONE comment by mistake???

EXACTLY!!
The RPIC should be located and IMHO charged heavily. It's apparent (to me) that the pilot and RPIC both noticed at the very last moment and each initiated evasive actions. That was WAY too close for comfort.

Reactions: R Martin
Hey Vic @mossphotography have you seen anything about this? I suspect my News Feed will fill up as this one gets more traction LOL.

This whole story sort of just vanished. It's not main news anymore. I've asked mum FAA sources, and no one is saying anything.

Reactions: dronesky
This whole story sort of just vanished. It's not main news anymore. I've asked mum FAA sources, and no one is saying anything.

That could mean a significant "internal investigation". Since no damage etc they may have opted to "Not Report It". Very interesting to say the least. . . .

I'm shocked our wonderful media outlets haven't picked his up and ran it into the ground helping to advance the "Drones are evil movement".

That could mean a significant "internal investigation". Since no damage etc they may have opted to "Not Report It". Very interesting to say the least. . . .

I'm shocked our wonderful media outlets haven't picked his up and ran it into the ground helping to advance the "Drones are evil movement".

Too many other dead horses to beat on right now.

If you haven't read this yet you need to. It's pretty involved as only lawyers can get but its an eye-opener.
Drone Sightings: The Actual Numbers

The following is an excerpt to whet your whistle:
" The FAA even commented on the data in the small unmanned aircraft registration rule, “Some commenters specifically found fault with FAA’s reliance on increased number of UAS ‘incidents’ reported to the FAA by manned aircraft pilots. Several commenters noted that the AMA analyzed those reported ‘incidents’ and found that out of the 764 reported records, only 27 (or 3.5%) were identified as a near mid-air collision, with nearly all of those involving government-authorized military drones. The commenters noted that most of the ‘incidents’ have merely been sightings of UAS. One individual pointed out that the FAA has published no analysis of its own ‘sightings’ data; nor has it disputed the AMA’s analysis of that data. This individual also asserted that a doubling in the rate of UAS ‘sightings’ in 2015 is consistent with the rate of growth of consumer small UAS, and is not cause for overreaction.” "

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07
If you haven't read this yet you need to. It's pretty involved as only lawyers can get but its an eye-opener.
Drone Sightings: The Actual Numbers

The following is an excerpt to whet your whistle:
" The FAA even commented on the data in the small unmanned aircraft registration rule, “Some commenters specifically found fault with FAA’s reliance on increased number of UAS ‘incidents’ reported to the FAA by manned aircraft pilots. Several commenters noted that the AMA analyzed those reported ‘incidents’ and found that out of the 764 reported records, only 27 (or 3.5%) were identified as a near mid-air collision, with nearly all of those involving government-authorized military drones. The commenters noted that most of the ‘incidents’ have merely been sightings of UAS. One individual pointed out that the FAA has published no analysis of its own ‘sightings’ data; nor has it disputed the AMA’s analysis of that data. This individual also asserted that a doubling in the rate of UAS ‘sightings’ in 2015 is consistent with the rate of growth of consumer small UAS, and is not cause for overreaction.” "

Good points we all need to be aware of.

JR is a highly respected member (aka Leader) of our community and he's also a high time Manned Aircraft pilot so he has solid experience on both sides of this coin.

Reactions: R Martin

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.