Does this seem like satisfactory level of wobble/drift?

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Just repaired my P2V+ v3.0 and would like to see what the experts think about the level of wobble/drift I'm observing. Haven't had it long enough to rely on my own feelings about it.

Summary/recap: Busted an arm in a crash, LEDs were blown out and motor scuffed (although it runs). I replaced the shell and the ESC. Still has old motor just because it hasn't arrived yet and I figured I'd test things so far.

Then I did advanced IMU recalibration with the drone perfectly balanced. All settings look good.

I observe a little wobble/drift although ten times better than before replacing ESC and doing a carefully balanced IMU calibration. Here's the video:

I never touch the controls during the video. What do you think? Is it ok? Still unacceptable? Could replacing the motor fix it? Thanks for your thoughts!

Josh

Reaction score
I just replaced motors and ESC's on mine, and that amount of drift is comparable to what I have. With no wind at all, the drift is 1/2 to 1/3 of what your video shows.

Interesting that your motors have a very high pitch noise. At least one of mine does, too, and I figured it was bad bearings.

Reaction score
Just took it on an untethered flight and it was even less stable. When actually trying to fly a direction, it will have a real rough time maintaining altitude, will either tend up or down. Definitely hoping the new motor helps. :)

Reaction score
When you have it out again, try flipping the left switch top to bottom rapidly 5 times, when you have it over a spot you want to be your home point. That resets the home point. You should see the green lights flash rapidly if it worked. When I do that, I find that my Phantom hovers in a much more stable fashion than it does with just acquiring the satellites. I don't know why yet.

Reaction score
What props are you using? Hard to tell for sure from the video but I don't see the black hub on any of them. Are they balanced?

Reaction score
What props are you using? Hard to tell for sure from the video but I don't see the black hub on any of them. Are they balanced?

Marlin, you may win the prize! I'm not sure, but I did three things and now it flies rock solid, like new, what I'm used to! Here's what I changed:
  • I had two cheap knock-off props from China, and two DJI props. In hindsight, this was completely stupid. They were supposed to be self-tightening thrust boosted props similar to the ones that come standard with P2V+ v3.0, but I'm wondering if they really are. I put 3 original props and one replacement (but genuine DJI) prop on. I haven't balanced them yet (balancer is in the mail).
  • Before I was flying without the camera/gimbal. I reattached them, wondering if the lost weight meant the gains were a bit high, which would contribute to oscillating.
  • I did yet another carefully-balanced advanced IMU calibration.
So I don't know if the props fixed it, or the camera/gimbal weight, or both compounding each other, but it flies SOLID now!!! Rejoice with me, friends!! I repaired my drone and it flies like a champ!!! I am mega excited!!!!!!

Josh :cool::D

Reaction score
Congratulations!

I think the Phantom would be a bit top-heavy without the gimbal, so if I'm not going to be doing a video, I mount a broken gimbal on mine just for weight and balance.

As for the cheap props, there's enough Youtube videos comparing them to DJI to convince me that the extra $$ is worth it.

Now don't crash it. ;)

Reaction score
Amen!

Reaction score
Marlin, you may win the prize! I'm not sure, but I did three things and now it flies rock solid, like new, what I'm used to! Here's what I changed:
  • I had two cheap knock-off props from China, and two DJI props. In hindsight, this was completely stupid. They were supposed to be self-tightening thrust boosted props similar to the ones that come standard with P2V+ v3.0, but I'm wondering if they really are. I put 3 original props and one replacement (but genuine DJI) prop on. I haven't balanced them yet (balancer is in the mail).
  • Before I was flying without the camera/gimbal. I reattached them, wondering if the lost weight meant the gains were a bit high, which would contribute to oscillating.
  • I did yet another carefully-balanced advanced IMU calibration.
So I don't know if the props fixed it, or the camera/gimbal weight, or both compounding each other, but it flies SOLID now!!! Rejoice with me, friends!! I repaired my drone and it flies like a champ!!! I am mega excited!!!!!!

Josh :cool::D

Glad to hear you figured it out. It does sound like it may have been a combination. Mismatched props is definitely a nono.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
safeharbour