Does the phantom wetsuit actually do anything?

Reaction score
Hi, so I’ve been considering buying the phantom wetsuit. But I had some concerns and questions. Does the wetsuit actually largely improve the waterproof ness of the drone? Because it seems like it doesn’t really cover much, the seems in the drone seam like they are already pretty waterproof. I’ve already talked to a few people who said they fly in the rain without a problem. It seems like what would really be helpful would be to take the drone apart and cover the electronics inside. Also I’m surprised there’s no tests comparing the phantom with and without the wetsuit. Does anyone have experience with flying with and without the wetsuit?
Also I know that they are advertised here, and this might make some people angry. Please don’t ban me, I’m just genuinely curious about it.

I have, but I haven’t read anything where they had any problems flying without it, and have seen people saying that it’s unnecessary for flying in the rain.
Well maybe someone that has flew in the rain will post in this and tell you but think you already know
the answer. I have been caught in little sprinkles coming in and had no issues but thats it for me.

I have, but I haven’t read anything where they had any problems flying without it, and have seen people saying that it’s unnecessary for flying in the rain.
Many threads on this issue in the past. I still have never seen any scientific controlled testing from the vendor, but only unsubstantiated claims to the effectiveness of the product.

Well maybe someone that has flew in the rain will post in this and tell you but think you already know
the answer. I have been caught in little sprinkles coming in and had no issues but thats it for me.
Doesn’t it seem like if there was any improvement in using the wet suit, then they would do a test? It wouldn’t be hard at all.

Doesn’t it seem like if there was any improvement in using the wet suit, then they would do a test? It wouldn’t be hard at all.
Yip good point but if you watch more clips on phantom wetsuits you will find out he has killed multiple drones from water and testing,,not sticking up for nobody in saying this,it was his loss in testing to make it work,,yes vents need to be open or any drone will sweat from the heat ,,,no suit with the help of rotor wash the water will run in the vents on the arms,bottom of drone suit the same,it needs to breath ,I think the way the suit designed is to divert the travel of water along with rotor wash to blow it down,,another main part for the suit is called a surge ring which goes at top of gimble to stop water going inside,sure bit of water on cam but somehow dont affect it,,,one of his clips he even dunks the cam complete in water and it ok,me not that keen but shows that surge ring works not allowing water inside,,also without suit on the water will flow into where battery clips in and that would kill it from shorting out,,can only take so much without the suit before water floods the inside,,,for me it was a cause of not wanting to store my drone in winter,,I like to fly nearly all the time so got me a suit,,,,,,now I dont have to worrie about rainy days stuck inside not flying,, I'm out there ;)....also should add it was bit out lay for me due to currency of money,,,but after install I was happy chappy......only slight issue is the remote is not waterproof but that's what umbrella is for

Last edited by a moderator:

It might be more helpful if you just go and watch their videos where they demonstrate etc.

This topic is very divided and we're not going it turn into another slam session so let's stay civil (and it has thus far) and be nice.

For the record I'm not "Protecting a VENDOR" (as I have been accused of doing) but protecting a member of this forum. I would offer the same for anyone on here at any time. Our vendors are also members of the forum and afford the same courtesy that we are all expected to give to each other.

I don't have a wetsuit but have flown numerous times in heavy wet snow. When I did this, my P3S was ok although the camera did get gummed up a bit even though I had it pointing down when not taking photos. When I landed my P3S it did have some snow on it but I just used a towel to brush it off and dry it before packing in the case. The transmitter was the item I was most worried about as it doesn't have props to blow snow off and is usually stationary. Flying from inside a vehicle or bringing an umbrella (need something to hold it) doesn't work for me either as I am often hiking down trails. Wet snow tends to melt and accumulate in the stick recesses of the transmitter. So far I have just wiped it down with a towel and dried it upside down when I get home and everything has been fine.

Chris

I am one member who is very happy with my wetsuits (2). Have flown in the rain many times with absolutely zero problems. The most critical area is the battery and this does a good job of protecting it. It also drains water away from other critical areas. I actually bought it to protect my drone from sand when fishing at the beach but I have gotten to enjoy the water protection it affords as well. Enjoy.

He has posted video of flying in the rain and even off sailboat in a storm. It was previously suggested to review their website and look at the numerous videos posted. It is suggested to fly backwards to keep rain from directly hitting on lens, I think was one of the tips shown. I am sure there is enough video to help you decide if this extra bit of protection is worth it for your piece of mind, kinda like do you buy insurance or not. Just my $0.02.

I'm one who has flown in the rain - not by choice ... but have been caught out a few times. Most times as with Mod - just light sprinkle stuff ... but I have had occasion where the rain was moderately heavy ... such that I wished I wasn't out there !!

As another says - I was more worried about the controller than the P3 ... so I basically 'cowered' over it to try and stop rain getting into it.

The P3 ... both my P3S and P3P have been caught out ... I just gave a gentle shake to get water off ... wiped it down and left out in open in the room to dry of. I then gave it a COLD air blast from an Airbrush to clear any nooks and crannys. I learnt a long time ago to not use a hairdryer or other warm air source.

Once nicely aired ... back into case to fly another day.

Water killed my P3S ... but that's understandable when you outfly your battery and it goes for a swim in the river !! But it had lasted a long time since the rain incident. My P3P is still going good as new ..

I'm a great believer in improving an item, but cases such as this where I know I am not only one who has flown in rain and snow ... the advantage of a Wetsuit should be proven - not by the Phantom surviving the rain (as I have and others shown - that is possible without a suit) - but by having a suited and a non suited Phantom flown together in same conditions. That would likely end all debate and show one way or another.

If I claim my Volvo is faster than your Volvo ... unless you put both side by side with similar ability drivers - its just talk.

Hi, so I’ve been considering buying the phantom wetsuit. But I had some concerns and questions. Does the wetsuit actually largely improve the waterproof ness of the drone? Because it seems like it doesn’t really cover much, the seems in the drone seam like they are already pretty waterproof. I’ve already talked to a few people who said they fly in the rain without a problem. It seems like what would really be helpful would be to take the drone apart and cover the electronics inside. Also I’m surprised there’s no tests comparing the phantom with and without the wetsuit. Does anyone have experience with flying with and without the wetsuit?
Also I know that they are advertised here, and this might make some people angry. Please don’t ban me, I’m just genuinely curious about it.

Allow me to chime in:

The Phantom 4 Wet Suits were designed to Mimimize Risk of flying the drone in Extreme Weather Conditions.

* Minimize the Risk of getting water in the battery
* Minimize the Risk of getting water in the side vents
*Minimize the Risk of Props flying off
*Minimize the Risk of a loose battery and Disconnect
*Minimize the Risk of loosing the Leg Covers
*Minimize the Risk of hand catching with a secure grip

All of the these Problems have been listed in the Forum and the Wet Suit really minimizes all of them.

You dont need rain to test your drone but it does come down at 10 to 12 mph from the sky but you can also
use the Kitchen sink and run the water over your battery for 26 minutes and you might find that the battery
has been compromised, the tell tale sign the blinking lights or the phantom fades out.

. Extravagant test have never been needed as common sense paves the way for the both the Phantom and the Mavic Pro and Mavic 2 series drones as they our both prone to getting water inside the battery.

Now the Mavic Mini is a different story, We made the Wet Suit for it but there is no real weakness in that drone with the exception of the Prop Covers , but that alone is not enough to determine that is needs a wet suit.

But all the others just run it under the sink for 20 minutes , and the problems become magnified quickly.

With that said we have tested the Phantom - backwards , forwards, upside down and modified and the videos are all posted . Over 150 flights in the rain thus far with the Phantom and climbing which is cool.

These Two Drones need the Wet Suit for more than just Rain Coverage :
Mavic 2 and Phantom 4 which is something to consider because if you make money with your drone its a no brainer.

There our people that do say they fly in the rain , but i doubt its this kind of rain, and if they dont have a video , its probably just talk, a sprinkle or light rain is not a full fledged 26 minute rain. Lets be real.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Phantom in and out of the storm.
Coal

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Personally, I have trouble believing the four motors of a Phantom 4, for instance, could be filled with water and still run but that's just my natural skepticism. I watched enough "Sea Hunt" episodes with Lloyd Bridges to know that a wet suit allows one to go underwater. So perhaps a good test of a drone "wetsuit" would be to toss it in a swimming pool and, if it lands upright on the bottom, fire 'er up and take off! But, like I said, I'm a skeptic.

Reactions: droningnky
Oooops, I just posted a reply that was obviously meant in jest about testing the Phantom wetsuit but it appears it got deleted for some reason. I'm new here so I'll have to check the rules to see if joking about a drone wetsuit test is allowed or not. Guess not. But I still wonder how those little brushless motors filled with water can still run.

Personally, I have trouble believing the four motors of a Phantom 4, for instance, could be filled with water and still run but that's just my natural skepticism. I watched enough "Sea Hunt" episodes with Lloyd Bridges to know that a wet suit allows one to go underwater. So perhaps a good test of a drone "wetsuit" would be to toss it in a swimming pool and, if it lands upright on the bottom, fire 'er up and take off! But, like I said, I'm a skeptic.

Its good to be a skeptic and we do in fact have videos of that very thing, you might try going to the website where you will see some pretty extraordinary footage and tests of the drone under water.

Phantomrain.org

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic