Does Phantom 4 standard FHD video mode use entire camera sensor? Question regarding pixel dimension!

Reaction score
Hi there!

I collaborate with a drone team that uses a Phantom 4 (Standard) for research. For my work, I need to analyze their drone video and extract measurements of objects within their video.

The general methodology is that they record videos using their P4, and I take screenshots using VLC Media Player to obtain measurements. I'm comfortable with this methodology, and have accurate altitude (in m), focal length (3.61 mm) and sensor width (6.17 mm) information from this thread (Camera Intrinsic Matrix for DJI Phantom 4). I know that my collaborator is shooting in FHD, 1920 x 1080 px.

Using all of the information above, I can calculate my ground sampling distance, and scale my measured pixels to find the accurate measurement I need. Theoretically, my equation would be:

measurement = pixels_measured_in_screenshot x (altitude / focal length) x (sensor width / pixels)
aka
measurement = pixels_measured_in_screenshot x (altitude / 3.61 mm) x (6.17 mm / 1920 pixels)

The issue I'm finding is that some DJI drones do not utilize the entire sensor width when in video mode. There is a lot of documentation, as well just as visual documentation that when the camera changes from camera-mode to video-mode, there is a slight crop. This is due to the drone not utilizing the entire sensor, which means that my sensor width measurement will be incorrect. I have the corrected sensor width size for this slight crop for the Phantom 4 in 4K video mode, but not in FHD. I'm not sure if the FHD experiences this slight crop at all, as I am under the impression the drone does this to optimize video-writing speed, and I'm thinking maybe at FHD it doesn't need to do this anyway.

Sadly, I do not have the Phantom 4 standard in hand, only the P4P V2.0. So my question is, does anyone who has a Phantom 4 standard tell me if there is a video crop effect? If so, has anyone figured out the true sensor width used or the corrected pixel dimension or pixel width for it?

Thank you so much in advance! I greatly appreciate any help!!

You can simply check the number of pixels in the picture.
I'm not sure about P4s, but at P4P a snapshot from the video has 3840 pix in 16:9 format or a little over 4000 in 3:2 format. The still photo has 5472 pix. So it's pretty cropped.

Sadly, I do not have the Phantom 4 standard in hand, only the P4P V2.0. So my question is, does anyone who has a Phantom 4 standard tell me if there is a video crop effect? If so, has anyone figured out the true sensor width used or the corrected pixel dimension or pixel width for it?
Could you work backwards and have the drone team do a little test shooting with objects of known size?

Could you work backwards and have the drone team do a little test shooting with objects of known size?
I think that may have be our ultimate solution! We're on a bit of a deadline, so I was hoping that we wouldn't have to go backwards and ask them for test flights, but that might have to be what we do!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik