Does Phantom 3 have an auxiliary power cable somewhere inside?

Reaction score
I really hate the idea of opening up my new Phantom 3, but I'd like to know if there is an auxiliary power cable anywhere inside. I want to attach a feather-light bright LED light (like I did with my Phantom 2) but I don't want a big, heavy extra battery hanging off of it.

Anyone know?

No.
You'll need to 'tap' and regulate from internal power if you need it.

This quad is not dintended for the hobbyist who wants to tinker and mod.

By "tap and regulate" what do you mean specifically, because that's exactly what I'm asking about. I want to tap from the internal power via a cable.

I really hate the idea of opening up my new Phantom 3, but I'd like to know if there is an auxiliary power cable anywhere inside. I want to attach a feather-light bright LED light (like I did with my Phantom 2) but I don't want a big, heavy extra battery hanging off of it.

Anyone know?
I can't help with an answer, but please share some pics of the process if you make this mod!

As long as I can do it safely... my initial thoughts are that it may be better to have a thin plate that slides between battery prongs with a wire going to the LED light. LED light is only $4 and is super bright and amazing to see at night, plus very helpful for orientation and safety. There's no way I'm making my own plate, but I've seen such a thing somewhere a few months ago. Not sure if the LED can handle 15 volts but probably. If not, it's just $4.

You asked: 'if there is an auxiliary power cable anywhere inside', leading me to believe you meant something already there waiting for you.

You can tap where the battery is connected to the central PCB then regulate down to the voltage you need.

Ah. I get it. Yeah, I was just thinking about that, too. Here's what I found...

Attachments

• Screenshot of Google Chrome (5-6-15, 9:46:59 AM).jpg
    Screenshot of Google Chrome (5-6-15, 9:46:59 AM).jpg
    378.7 KB · Views: 961
I just ordered the whole set on Amazon: adapter $7 (came with extra wires, but PRIME anyway) and 2 LED's for $3.79 each = $14.58 total. I'll try it out on my Phantom 2 first and then Phantom 3. They will arrive Friday.

My only concern is whether it makes the battery connection less solid. I don't want that. But, people have used these for Phantom 2 and the power input plug is identical (except additional monitor leads that aren't relevant).

I've have headlight LED on my P1 and P2, I'll miss it on the P3. I won't mess with opening the body to get power of the P3.

Ah. I get it. Yeah, I was just thinking about that, too. Here's what I found...
I used this on my P2V for months with a landing light, worked great, made an awesome night light and helped with orientation in the daytime also. Didn't seem to affect flight time at all, and never had battery issues, just make 'extra' sure the battery is 'locked' in place.

I used this on my P2V for months with a landing light, worked great, made an awesome night light and helped with orientation in the daytime also. Didn't seem to affect flight time at all, and never had battery issues, just make 'extra' sure the battery is 'locked' in place.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You could tap into the front Red LED light wire. Those can be turned off in the app

Where do you run the wires out of the Phantom? Did you have to open up the Phantom to run the wires OUT?

No, don't have to open it, I ran them out one of the vent slots on the front side of the airframe, be sure to clean the power lug adapter well in case there is some manufacturing oil on it.

So, just to clarify, the adapter slides between the battery pins and doesn't change how well the battery seats? Is it super-thin?

So, just to clarify, the adapter slides between the battery pins and doesn't change how well the battery seats? Is it super-thin?
Yes, it is VERY thin, the led's take so little power it needs not be thick, also, the springs on the battery data pins have enough travel that it changes nothing. I always make double sure the battery is locked in event time in any case.

Yes, it is VERY thin, the led's take so little power it needs not be thick, also, the springs on the battery data pins have enough travel that it changes nothing. I always make double sure the battery is locked in event time in any case.

So cool. Is the adapter robust enough to power a separate 600mw Tx if I wanted to put one on the Phantom 3? I know, I know, why do that? But, just wondering.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic