Do You Think That the FAA Rules are Ridiculous?

Perfect - just add the usual ridiculous argument that stupid people break laws and therefore laws are pointless.
This is the argument used by the NRA and many other opponents to sensible gun laws.

Reactions: sar104
This is the argument used by the NRA and many other opponents to sensible gun laws.

Boy that’s a can of worms...

I thought there were sensible gun laws already. Unfortunately, laws don’t stop the unlawful. If you fail a background check, then buy a handgun off the street... that’s all kind of illegal. People still do it...

Reactions: Weston Ney
Back to the point, I had a real estate job at the attached picture. According to sectional chart and my memory, seems like class g airspace as it’s outside the blurred magenta area signifying class e (this untowered airport on the hard side of the blurred magenta indicator. The area on the blurred side is class e). I fretted over this, posted on here about it then thought to myself.... “self, I’m going to be at ~50’ taking pictures for 1/2 hour tops well away from landing and take off from airport”. Seemed weird flying that close to airplanes.

I ended up doing very brief and low job (not low quality) I didn’t want to freak out the manned pilots given the stigma of drones.

Bottom line, yes the FAA is strict but doesn’t even cover situations like this. You don’t need tower approval if there is no tower... and it’s class g airspace over an airport????

Yes I called the airport owner to give heads up before anybody yellls... and yes I know the “G” stands for gliders...

177B34ED-E1E0-497B-BD94-E80AF218C74A.jpeg
5916E823-6817-49EF-B0F8-6AC9F5D0A559.png

Check out the link for my job, you can see the airport in the background in some shots

Who has the most influence on the FAA in the USA and Canada? Why of course the
Airline pilots to bush pilots and all in between. They have to go thru extensive tests and
training and even health tests to fly. Do you think they are going to let some dumb hobby
pilot fly a drone in their air space which extends from above the clouds to the ground? How
to solve the problem is easy. Make testing and regulations so hard, they are restricted to
250 grams in weight, problem solved.

Reactions: Rick218
I feel the testing is a good way to assure pilots are both serious and responsible. I do think that there should be the ability to avoid testing if your drone is given an electronic fence with a 100’ max altitude and a 500’ max distance. Once pilots feel the testing is nonsense, they will also feel they VLOS is nonsense and the list goes on. I prefer to have testing and to feel other pilots are serious about safety.

Yah because tomorrow im going to ride my phantom. LOL, it's not a unmanned aircraft (drone) if you're on it. So that's irrelevant.
Thanks for the response!
Clearly it's thought processes like yours that make regulation necessary....

Guys I normally don't do this but am in this case. This thread can continue but if you quote the OP don't wait for a response as you will not get one .
If you can't figure that one out don't ask me as that's all I'm going to say.
Carry on. :)

Reactions: BigAl07
Guys I normally don't do this but am in this case. This thread can continue but if you quote the OP don't wait for a response as you will not get one .
If you can't figure that one out don't ask me as that's all I'm going to say.
Carry on. :)

I noticed “he” wasn’t chiming in any longer

Reactions: Adamborz
Since SUAS are in <400' airspace where no manned ac should be under normal conditions (with the notable exceptions of airports and disaster locations) it seems to be a case of government overreach to license persons flying plastic toys for fun and photography.
It's even more absurd to be regulating the air space below treetop level. So my answer would be "yes" I think the new rules are ridiculous and should be rethought.
Besides, you can't fix stupid, and the stupid folks are going to do stupid things regardless of the law.
Come to Los Angels. Here it is not uncommon to see police helicopters or military flying under 400agl over the city. I will fly wherever it is legal to do so but I am always careful because I know that anytime manned aircraft can fly over at low altitude. Don’t kid yourself, better to be careful.

Come to Los Angels. Here it is not uncommon to see police helicopters or military flying under 400agl over the city. I will fly wherever it is legal to do so but I am always careful because I know that anytime manned aircraft can fly over at low altitude. Don’t kid yourself, better to be careful.
Same here in Philomath Oregon. There is an airport nearby and planes often fly low. There is also an occasional helicopter ride service that flies very low. Whenever I hear the sound of a flying motor I immediately start taking the drone back for a landing. Don't want to ever endanger manned aircraft.

Hey, PhoenixOne. Starboard and Port are a thing on aircraft just like on boats. If you look at the navigation lights on a boat and aircraft you will see they have the same colours. Red on the left (port) and green on the right (starboard) and a white one at the rear. I actually have a set that I mount on my P3S to fly legally in Canada at night.
Have yourself a great day.
Hey fun flyer yes you're right I do Remember that planes and boats have the same colors and it makes sense that one's left and right and rear. I just did not know that they were the same names but that definitely makes sense I shouldn't have spoke before I knew the answer But I appreciate you giving me the info and yes I wanna get one of the strobe lights as well for some night flying And thank you you have a great day everyday as well

I understand the genesis and sense of urgency which necessitated the Congress passing new (and very restrictive) uas laws. I’m glad to hear it’s a fluid process that isn’t set in stone.

I would think more uas operators would be happy if the waiver process for things like flying over people would be eased (I’m not saying eliminated). Like maybe you need a waiver to fly over events like concerts or gatherings of the masses, but it’s eased on the matter of somebody accidentally walking under your drone when that wasn’t your intent.

When law enforcement agencies give up on using drones because the waiver process is too extensive and time consuming... that is a problem. I know, I’m facing that exact situation right now. Maybe the bosses don’t understand it, but when they deny programs because nobody is authorized by the FAA to fly (even with 107) because of the waivers (their words)... it becomes a safety concern.

Also, I find with the ever changing rules, local PDs have no idea what the laws are, which makes them become oblivious to them (ignore drone use) or worse, they just try to shut it all down even when it’s Legal. Have you ever known a police officer to “act” like he doesn’t know the law?

I’m in a position (being local police officer and real estate photographer with 107) to see it from both points of view.

So, bottom line I’ve found in my experience that the cops don’t understand the law, nor does the public (especially the real estate agents that think you can fly mile high or that you even need to be 107 certified).

Just my 2 cents, but the whole 107 certification should have different classes to it. Like driving a car vs driving a commercial vehicle. You need certain endorsements if you plan on operating at an airport that the rest of us don’t need, and hence don’t have to remember which frequencies pilots are required to switch to when speaking with ground crews etc,
Hey Adam I know this doesn't really relate to everything you said but some officers are ignorant of the law or don't care to put much thought into or uphold it. But some do know what they're talking about or they at least do the right research and call the right people to make sure they know what they're talking about. I do wanna say that today I went to the downtown square of my little town and they were having a dog competition and I have been wanting to fly the area for a while and was going as a hobby flyer but I contacted the local police department a few blocks away just to make sure I was OK to fly there and that the only buildings that I needed to avoid was the Post Office and the jail a few more blocks away I spoke with a lady who then transferred me to an officer who then had a another officer call me directly on my cell phone and spoke with me in detail about what I was going to do and if I had the license and what my intentions were and I told him I am very familiar with the laws and that I was doing it just for fun and not for money and he actually called his lieutenant who flies a drone for the police department and he called me back and was very receptive and positive about me flying. And they told me to have fun and be safe and that if anybody gave me a hard time to call them back and let them know and actually about an hour later I saw the same officer that I was on the phone with at the event and he came approached me and shook my hand and And thanked me for coming out and for calling beforehand and wished me luck. It was just a great experience and I was very well received by the community.

I understand the genesis and sense of urgency which necessitated the Congress passing new (and very restrictive) uas laws. I’m glad to hear it’s a fluid process that isn’t set in stone.

I would think more uas operators would be happy if the waiver process for things like flying over people would be eased (I’m not saying eliminated). Like maybe you need a waiver to fly over events like concerts or gatherings of the masses, but it’s eased on the matter of somebody accidentally walking under your drone when that wasn’t your intent.

When law enforcement agencies give up on using drones because the waiver process is too extensive and time consuming... that is a problem. I know, I’m facing that exact situation right now. Maybe the bosses don’t understand it, but when they deny programs because nobody is authorized by the FAA to fly (even with 107) because of the waivers (their words)... it becomes a safety concern.

Also, I find with the ever changing rules, local PDs have no idea what the laws are, which makes them become oblivious to them (ignore drone use) or worse, they just try to shut it all down even when it’s Legal. Have you ever known a police officer to “act” like he doesn’t know the law?

I’m in a position (being local police officer and real estate photographer with 107) to see it from both points of view.

So, bottom line I’ve found in my experience that the cops don’t understand the law, nor does the public (especially the real estate agents that think you can fly mile high or that you even need to be 107 certified).

Just my 2 cents, but the whole 107 certification should have different classes to it. Like driving a car vs driving a commercial vehicle. You need certain endorsements if you plan on operating at an airport that the rest of us don’t need, and hence don’t have to remember which frequencies pilots are required to switch to when speaking with ground crews etc,
Just wanna thank you for your service as well I'm definitely no perfect citizen but I got much respect for officers of the law that put their lives on the line every day for less pay then I would want for risking my life. It's always good to see and talk to a cool laid back officer

Just wanna thank you for your service as well I'm definitely no perfect citizen but I got much respect for officers of the law that put their lives on the line every day for less pay then I would want for risking my life. It's always good to see and talk to a cool laid back officer

Thank you, appreciate it. I’m glad your local PD is up on the laws and were receptive to your questions. At the end of the day, I would rather educate the public, then enforce...

Reactions: PhoenixOne

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic