Do I Put it in a Case or Not?

Reaction score
After buying your new drone, some extra batteries, a car charger and everything else you think you will need; we often get asked: “Is there anything else I should be getting” or “Is this styrofoam case going to be good enough”.

We think the answer largely depends on how you plan to use your new drone. If you are simply an occasional backyard flyer you might just put your drone on your hobby shelf or desk when your not using it and never even put it back in a case. If you constantly have it in and out of your car or put it on an airplane you definitely need to consider a good case. And if you don’t fit in either of those categories than you can consider the following and decide what is best for you.

Size and Style: Most drones have more than one case option. Inspire cases can be bought in landing mode or travel mode configuration, Phantom cases can be bought with and without wheels and some let you leave the props on, Mavic cases can be bought that hold many extra batteries (and some new ones will include a place for DJI Goggles), etc. Even the Spark has multiple case options.

Keep it Together: Because the standard cases that drones come with generally do not have a place for all your extra batteries, spare chargers, lenses, extra remote controllers or other accessories you might have - getting a different case can be a great way to keep everything you need together and help eliminate the chance of showing up to fly somewhere only to realize something you need did not make the trip with you.

Waterproof and Indestructible: You may never have the occasion to leave your case out on the rain or have someone accidentally drive over the top of it, but many case claim they can either be submerged in water or that they are practically indestructible (or at least capable of really taking some abuse). In our opinion this is simply summarized by keep your drone safe in most every situation. While the styrofoam case it probably arrived in will not just fall apart on you, when you close the lid on a good case you can not help but feel confident it is much more protected.

Specialty Items: Beyond just getting basic cases, we are seeing more and more clients opt for specialty items as well. They include backpack style cases and even cases made just for batteries. Battery cases are especially popular with people who use their drones in their businesses because they tend to have many extra batteries or may need to carry their batteries on board an airplane (because you can not check batteries).

If you have any questions about cases or want to talk about any of their options, give us a call at (855) 8-DRONES or click the link to see the cases we carry at Florida Drone Supply. We put all of our drones in GoProfessional cases and have had excellent results taking them on boats, pulling them through the sand and allowing them to be out in the sun as we demonstrate equipment to clients.

Fly Safe!

Cases

Go_Professional_Case_P4P_Wheels_1_large.png
GPC_Mavic_4_large.jpg
gpc-dji-spark-c1.jpg

Great post. Even if you don't travel a lot with your UAV, having a case will make it easy, (and may even encourage you) to take it with you and find new places to fly.

I can even improve your health! :) My Mavic backpack is so small and light it's easy to take on a bicycle. So now I'm motivated to ride my bike to explore places to fly.

Anyway, get a case already!

I have the above pictured hard case for the Phantom. I like the foam interior because I have been able to modify it to fit and store additional accessories.

I also believe a case is a must, like the OP said, keeping it together and protecting your fun investment. It is also a good idea to include dry silica gel in the case to absorb the humidity that may cause damage. The foam is always nice because you can modify it easy. I modified my nanuk to fit my DBS2 because I did not want to remove it all the time and cause wear and increase the chances of me damaging the connections. I find the battery slots are a bit to far apart as they could have made enough slots to fit 5 batteries (I only have 4). My accessories case is a modified case I had lying around. I always return every thing back in the case so when I go I just have to put the cases in my truck (charge the batteries to full before leaving). Another thing is when you get home download your card to your computer check that there all there then delete the files and return it back in your bird (not your case) right away. No fun getting over your location and having a full card or a missing one.
20160923_203855.jpg
20160923_203918.jpg

Great post. Even if you don't travel a lot with your UAV, having a case will make it easy, (and may even encourage you) to take it with you and find new places to fly.

I can even improve your health! :) My Mavic backpack is so small and light it's easy to take on a bicycle. So now I'm motivated to ride my bike to explore places to fly.

Anyway, get a case already!

Thanks, We wholeheartedly agree.

I also believe a case is a must, like the OP said, keeping it together and protecting your fun investment. It is also a good idea to include dry silica gel in the case to absorb the humidity that may cause damage. The foam is always nice because you can modify it easy. I modified my nanuk to fit my DBS2 because I did not want to remove it all the time and cause wear and increase the chances of me damaging the connections. I find the battery slots are a bit to far apart as they could have made enough slots to fit 5 batteries (I only have 4). My accessories case is a modified case I had lying around. I always return every thing back in the case so when I go I just have to put the cases in my truck (charge the batteries to full before leaving). Another thing is when you get home download your card to your computer check that there all there then delete the files and return it back in your bird (not your case) right away. No fun getting over your location and having a full card or a missing one.View attachment 87027 View attachment 87028

Thanks for your pics and ideas. I always keep a micro SD card tucked into my wallet, just in case.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20