Do I need GPS on my tablet?

Reaction score
I ordered a new tablet for my p3 and just found out it doesn't have GPS. Do I need it?

Also, a related question I had... Yesterday I noticed the Dji app radar direction of me and the bird was not accurate by 30°... I cant remember if it was the bird or me but assuming it was me.. Any idea what causes it?

I ordered a new tablet for my p3 and just found out it doesn't have GPS. Do I need it?

Also, a related question I had... Yesterday I noticed the Dji app radar direction of me and the bird was not accurate by 30°... I cant remember if it was the bird or me but assuming it was me.. Any idea what causes it?
If you want to see where you are on the map, or if you want to use Dynamic Home Point and/or Home Lock (when it arrives), yes you need GPS. Otherwise no.
Calibrate your device's compass and it should fix it.

If you want to see where you are on the map, or if you want to use Dynamic Home Point and/or Home Lock (when it arrives), yes you need GPS. Otherwise no.
Calibrate your device's compass and it should fix it.
Thank you. I have an android. Can you recommend an app?

Thank you. I have an android. Can you recommend an app?
I've never had to do it, so no. Out of curiosity, what android device did you buy? I've never heard of a GPS-less android device other than a Kindle.

I've ordered the chuwi hi8 hybrid. Just came out specs are incredible but unfortunately no GPS.

Found a compass calibration tool (gps status & tools). Do you know if compass is needed at all? Noticed my Samsung tab 4 doesn't have one

I've ordered the chuwi hi8 hybrid. Just came out specs are incredible but unfortunately no GPS.
Hi, I have just ordered the Phamtom3p and I have ordered the Chuwi Vi8 from Banggood which is due to arrive in the next few days. I have been told I can "tether" my Chuwi via wifi to my mobile to download maps by my son. I am not savvi in this area so will see how it goes but my son said I do not need the internet and the controller and phantom 3 contains the GPS (hope I have that right). However, I am really posting to you to find out if you have the Chuwi vi8 yet and how it is performing. I have read in other posts where one member says the Chuwi is great whilst another has stated it is slow.

Hi, I have just ordered the Phamtom3p and I have ordered the Chuwi Vi8 from Banggood which is due to arrive in the next few days. I have been told I can "tether" my Chuwi via wifi to my mobile to download maps by my son. I am not savvi in this area so will see how it goes but my son said I do not need the internet and the controller and phantom 3 contains the GPS (hope I have that right). However, I am really posting to you to find out if you have the Chuwi vi8 yet and how it is performing. I have read in other posts where one member says the Chuwi is great whilst another has stated it is slow.

Hi!
I have the same exact problem.....can you confirm, if already on your hands, if the tablet works well?
Don`t forget to put "Google Services" on factory mode, and turn off on Google Play notifications and updates...

im very, very, interested to have news from your experience!

Tks in advance!

Please try the BT Dual 150A external GPS receiver:)
Works for me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 701
Hi!
I have the same exact problem.....can you confirm, if already on your hands, if the tablet works well?
Don`t forget to put "Google Services" on factory mode, and turn off on Google Play notifications and updates...

im very, very, interested to have news from your experience!

Tks in advance!
Mordor, good news from me so far. Have had P3p for about 3 weeks and carried out about a dozen flights. My DJI app came with a world satelite map already on the app screen. It is recent enough that I use that and it works really find displaying my red pilot plane on the map. My Chuwi Vi8 is working perfectly. Very smooth and clear apart from reflections. If I stand under a tree it is clear as can be. I am taking no risks. I have set a 250 metres max distance from controller so I have a strong signal and everything works perfectly. That may well change when I start flying further away from the controller but so far the Chuwi is excellent and would certainly recommend it with no one blip so far.
Whilst I have learnt how to connect my app to my iphone using wifi I have not learn how to download any maps and cache them so I am not using any google maps. I fly just with the app and the controller and the default world map provided by DJI and it has been excellent. The latest google maps provided on the app appear to be the most recent anyway.

I hope this makes sense so to abbreviate to give more clarity:
Chuwi works perfectly and smoothly with no stutters.
I fly without connection to the internet.
I can see everywhere I am flying on the app by using the map provided by DJI
My flight path appears on the map. My return home path is highlighted.
When I set a max distance it places a green circle on my apps google map to show my distance limit and it really works....I cannot fly outside that circle.
Pictures and Videos have been excellent and smooth.

Hope that helps you
Ozziephantom from Victoria, Australia.

Great News!

You can improve the light on your tablet, with this app: " Velis Autobrightness". It very good and i use it on my phone/tablet.
About the maps.....maybe using your phone as hotspot, you can have acess to the maps (sorry didn`t understand very well the part of the maps of DJI, and at this moment im at work..eheheh)

Tonight i will buy this tablet for me, resuming. Hope here at my country, they don`t block it at customs...lolol

Any question from someone with ´- 8 flights, please ask!

Many Thanks!!

UPDATE:

Already made the buy on BG. Hope not have any problem with customs here (Portugal - Europe).
I didn`t know the app from DJI have the maps already included....maybe its something different from here in Europe.....

As your son told you, yes, you can get the google maps using internet from your phone, activating the "hot spot Wi-Fi", conecting the two devices....in theory...

Thank you for the very informative report!

Greatings from the other side of the world!

My DJI app came with a world satelite map already on the app screen. It is recent enough that I use that and it works really find displaying my red pilot plane on the map.
Whilst I have learnt how to connect my app to my iphone using wifi I have not learn how to download any maps and cache them so I am not using any google maps. I fly just with the app and the controller and the default world map provided by DJI and it has been excellent. The latest google maps provided on the app appear to be the most recent anyway.

I can see everywhere I am flying on the app by using the map provided by DJI
I didn`t know the app from DJI have the maps already included....maybe its something different from here in Europe.....
btw .. DJI don't provide any map in the app.
You are either caching maps or pulling them via your phone without realising it..
If you don't do that, you have a blank map square in the app.

Reactions: Mordor
Correct.
I also thought that but wasn`t 100% shure....lolol
Tks for the clarification!

Now i must wait a month, pass customs and receive it!

On that moment, i will share here my opinion on this tablet plus DJI app 1.1.0 or 1.2.

Have great flights everbody!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic