DJI unveils new CrystalSky monitor

More than $300 and its a waste. Buy a tablet.

The 5.5" CrystalSky has now been cleared by the FCC and approved for sale in USA. I expect an April release but we'll see.
As for merits of CrystalSky vs tablet, I'm inclined to think that the "pure" operating environment of a Phantom (or mavic or inspire) environment for CrystalSky that isn't 'polluted' in the background by any number of apps and push notifications etc will improve the fly-away conditions for a number of pilots.
I would not be the least bit surprised that a meaningful # of fly-aways involve poil

The 5.5" CrystalSky has now been cleared by the FCC and approved for sale in USA. I expect an April release but we'll see.
As for merits of CrystalSky vs tablet, I'm inclined to think that the "pure" operating environment of a Phantom (or mavic or inspire) environment for CrystalSky that isn't 'polluted' in the background by any number of apps and push notifications etc will improve the fly-away conditions for a number of pilots.
I would not be the least bit surprised that a meaningful # of fly-aways involve poil
5..5 that same size as my phone....they could make bigger than that,,,Yip sticking to my tablet:)

Saw this a few months ago whilst researching the Phantom 4, seem to recall some speculation of around $300.00. I might have an interest if not much more than that so that I could dedicate the display to the Phantom and eliminating having to switch the iPad Mini 4 back and forth.

The standard version of the 5.5" and 7.85" CrystalSky are 1000 cd/m2 brightness....which is 2x that of an iPad mini 4. The UltraBright version of the CrystalSky has 2000 cd/m2 brightness....over 4x the brightness of an iPad mini 4.

Inevitably for most, the make or break for the Crystalsky will be pricing. Priced too high, I'd just stick with my Mini 4, or even a older iPhone 5s...

Based on how it shakes out with the Phantom 4 Advanced+ it looks like its $300

I have a question about this product. Does the micro sd card records video @4k so we can save the one inside the drone or the video is recorded to a lower resolution?

I have a question about this product. Does the micro sd card records video @4k so we can save the one inside the drone or the video is recorded to a lower resolution?

Question wording is a little confusing - Micro SD card is a storage device - the Phantom records the video - at resolution set in app which yes can be at 4K, recorded to the user SD card in the Phantom, which yes you can save. This thread is about a display device though, nothing to do with recording or resolution unless I misunderstand question.

One thing i've noticed about DJI is how swiftly they can move and also introduce new products. And they've been learning (a lot) from their connection to Apple.
Flyaways, crashes, and bugginess of all nature is a big drain on their resources and negatively affecting profits.
So imagine that you are DJI...do you want to support Apps running in multiple OS on too many devices that have:
- other apps running in background
- low memory
- system glitches caused by other unrelated apps
etc etc
or do you want:
- your own display monitor, running in a pristine environment without interference from other apps and OS?
Don't be surprised if DJI eventually goes CrystalSky only just so they can have more control.
Just my two cents, not a prediction....

One thing i've noticed about DJI is how swiftly they can move and also introduce new products. And they've been learning (a lot) from their connection to Apple.
Flyaways, crashes, and bugginess of all nature is a big drain on their resources and negatively affecting profits.
So imagine that you are DJI...do you want to support Apps running in multiple OS on too many devices that have:
- other apps running in background
- low memory
- system glitches caused by other unrelated apps
etc etc
or do you want:
- your own display monitor, running in a pristine environment without interference from other apps and OS?
Don't be surprised if DJI eventually goes CrystalSky only just so they can have more control.
Just my two cents, not a prediction....

I don't think that they will do that - limiting their potential market doesn't seem to be part of the their strategy.

I had a chance to try one of these last week, and I'm pretty sure that the main selling point will be the brightness. We were using one in full sunlight without a hood, and it was still perfectly visible.

Reactions: djileaksguy
Available in three configurations:

DJI CrystalSky 5.5-inch, High Brightness - $469

DJI CrystalSky 7.85-inch, High Brightness - $699

DJI CrystalSky 7.85-inch, Ultra Brightness - $999

DJI CrystalSky Compatibility - The CrystalSky monitor can quickly connect to the Inspire series, Phantom 4 series, Phantom 3 series (Phantom 3 Professional, Phantom 3 Advanced), Matrice series, and Osmo series (except the Osmo Mobile) over Wi-Fi or via a remote controller USB port, depending on your specific product.

DJI CrystalSky Availability:

CrystalSky 5.5" - Mid-May 2017
CrystalSky 7.85" - Mid-May 2017
CrystalSky 7.85" Ultra - June 2017

Learn more about the DJI CrystalSky Monitor here: DJI CrystalSky – Ultra-Bright Drone Video Monitor | Advexure

Safe and happy flying! :cool:
-The Advexure Team

Reactions: tak5501
I second that. Too expensive.

Depends on the situation. It's probably not going to sell in large numbers for use with Phantoms but, for commercial use with high-end systems such as the Matrice, I would not hesitate to buy it. The difference in visibility is substantial.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1