DJI Smart Battery-Not!

What is the "battery mod" you speak of?
Dual Battery Mod
This could also work as a failsafe. In the event of main DJI battery failure, the extra batteries will still provide power.

Why would they need to cut motors in flight to begin with?
Would you happen to know if when the a/c is under a load if only 2 or 3 cells are being used, or if all 4 cells are used?
If it was say 3 cells leaving 1 for reserve would explain why there always seems to be a variance with 1 of the cells in the battery, wouldn't it?

I don't think it works that way. All cells are required and all cells work together as 1 battery. This is how we get 15.2v: 4 cells @ 3.8v. If one of the cells were to fail or have a major deviance, the battery performance would suffer and you would get low voltage warning, or worse.

Reactions: smyers63
The price of these batteries are simply scandalous £124 for 18mins at best flight time is disgusting, add on to that they are the reason for some birds dropping out of the sky it puts dji to shame why have the reduced the price of all the phantom 3 range yet never once have they reduced these over priced batteries. I fully agree with frank on this topic!!
Anytime I hear about a phantom 3 falling from the sky, it always ends up being because they flew on a partially discharged battery . DJI can't help it if they tell people to fully charge their batteries before every flight and customers don't listen

I flew the other day with my fully updated P3P in P-GPS MODE, 45-50 degrees and max speed was 38.4. How much faster should it go?

You obviously had a tailwind and some point. Unless you remove the camera assembly the P3 is set to fly at 16ms or 35.7mph.

And the changes in the firmware come into effect after it reaches the set point of volts & temp. In testing what we found is if should launch and go to a usual full throttle horizontal flight you will reach normal speed. But once you let off the stick your 16ms flight then becomes a 9ms flight.

Frank, your profile says Indy.. Maybe this is why? View attachment 43510

Yeah, that's right. I'm in a cold climate part of the year. I would have to live where it stays above 70 degrees to not have any crippling from the not so smart battery.

You obviously had a tailwind and some point. Unless you remove the camera assembly the P3 is set to fly at 16ms or 35.7mph.

And the changes in the firmware come into effect after it reaches the set point of volts & temp. In testing what we found is if should launch and go to a usual full throttle horizontal flight you will reach normal speed. But once you let off the stick your 16ms flight then becomes a 9ms flight.
in my experience a tail wind will only help you go faster if you are flying in Atti mode, otherwise I believe the drone will just fly more efficiently.

Yeah, that's right. I'm in a cold climate part of the year. I would have to live where it stays above 70 degrees to not have any crippling from the not so smart battery.
You should stop complaining so much, let your battery warm up to 24 degrees celsius before you take off, I have not been "crippled" at all by my battery during cold weather. Keep in mind that DJI has a stated operating temperature which you should not fly when it is colder than that or at least you should not complain if you do.

High energy density batteries require monitoring electronics to prevent problems during discharge and charging. LiPo batteries (which are new to my experience but I've done some research) also require discharge to below a certain level to prevent bulging. That was something easily discovered with a modicum of research. The OP has reached conclusions without having and/or understanding the facts of the matter. And, yes, I've been heavily involved in electronics for many years in case anyone wonders. Battery systems these days aren't as simple as many may think.

Look up what's happening with hoverboards if you need proof.

Ok so now "bulging" is the reason for all this. :rolleyes::D

Cold Battery.jpg
Ok so now "bulging" is the reason for all this. :rolleyes::D
why don't you just go buy a nitro rc plane or heli if you are so unhappy with DJI? Did you read page 19 of the manual? I read the manual before I made my purchase, so I could make an informed purchase.

Last edited:
Anytime I hear about a phantom 3 falling from the sky, it always ends up being because they flew on a partially discharged battery . DJI can't help it if they tell people to fully charge their batteries before every flight and customers don't listen
No they cant but Thats a bad design flaw if you ask me especially when they cost so much. If I want to go out and fly with say 70% battery charge, i shouldnt have that worry in my mind its ridiculous!!

If one of the cells were to fail or have a major deviance, the battery performance would suffer and you would get low voltage warning, or worse.

Isn't that where things are at now, for the most part? Other members post about it all the time referring to one of the cells not being like the other 3.

Oh sure, I live in a cold place, but have never experienced any of my 4 battery packs acting strangely from ill temperatures! & no maladies or negatives, from any firmware updates, or Go App changes. So just maybe & perhaps I would be the wrong guy to answer that. I update my drone every time an improved firmware has been released, and forgot about yesterday's news already.
Tomorrow, becomes yesterday, very quickly at my age, so I have very little ~ no time for dwelling on them things. I read many of the forum threads about troubled Phantom 3 models, but can't relate. For I am of the majority, and thankful to have a trouble free @Dji Phantom 3 Pro' drone of my own.

RedHotPoker

I'm towards the other end of Canada and today it's 21 below zero, C or -6 F. Like Red, I am in the Majority with absolutely no problems with batteries even in the mild temps of the Canadian wilderness.

My bird flies about 36-38 mph and will fly 12000+ feet away and back and even in the cold about 15-18 minutes with plenty left in reserve. I try to leave 40% or better in reserve.(relatively new batteries and breaking in)

Being from the Southern US, I had a tournament Bass Boat that would run 78 mph per GPS and radar. At that speed, it took all the fight out of a bass when I caught him. lol
Seriously, how fast do I need to go to take a picture or a video of a person or scene?

I am amazed and pleased with my purchase(P3Pro) and its performance.
I do have sympathy for any that are having trouble or who are displeased with their purchase, however I can't relate as I have been fortunate, apparently.

No they cant but Thats a bad design flaw if you ask me especially when they cost so much. If I want to go out and fly with say 70% battery charge, i shouldnt have that worry in my mind its ridiculous!!
It is not a design flaw, it is the nature of these high discharge rate lipo batteries. If you don't like it you can either fly a nitro rc as I mentioned before or wait until the next type of battery tech is developed to surpass lipo technology. DJI is not to blame.

I don't know if this is just my point of view, but I think some people are just expecting too much out of these machines.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

It is not a design flaw, it is the nature of these high discharge rate lipo batteries. If you don't like it you can either fly a nitro rc as I mentioned before or wait until the next type of battery tech is developed to surpass lipo technology. DJI is not to blame.
Do you work for dji mate!! stop banging on "if you dont like it get a rc blah blah blah"! No I dont like the price you have to pay which is down to dji being greedy ba****ds!! The battery problem is slighty annouying but not enough to put me off owning a dji product or purchasing another one in the future but with the development of drones im sure another company will pip dji with regards to price and possibly quality in the future and I certainly wouldnt be loyal to dji.

Do you work for dji mate!! stop banging on "if you dont like it get a rc blah blah blah"! No I dont like the price you have to pay which is down to dji being greedy ba****ds!! The battery problem is slighty annouying but not enough to put me off owning a dji product or purchasing another one in the future but with the development of drones im sure another company will pip dji with regards to price and possibly quality in the future and I certainly wouldnt be loyal to dji.
I don't know how the companies in China work, but in the United States if a company is publicly traded it is a law for them to do what is best for the company financially. So for example if a company discovered a major flaw in a vehicle and they are able to calculate that a recall would cost more than paying off some victims, then they would be required to keep everything quiet and pay off the victims. That to me is the definition of greed, money at the expense of a customers life or well being. DJI is not in my opinion any worse than any other company that is trying to make money. They have to research, develop, advertise, pay employees, etc. I bet it only cost DJI $35 to manufacture each battery but the other costs the company has which are not directly related to batteries have to be covered as well. I know a lot of people will easily pay $3 for a soda at a restaurant or $1.50 at the gas station but the cost of the product they are consuming is probably only $0.15, what is the difference? No I don't work for DJI and I don't drink soda either haha.

I contend they are NOT of adequate C-rating and thus the problems. High C's cost and weigh more and are thus bigger and given the 'give & take' nature of Engineering DJI took the easy and CHEAP way out.

It's a Chinese toy flying camera after all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sinisalo
You should stop complaining so much, let your battery warm up to 24 degrees celsius before you take off, I have not been "crippled" at all by my battery during cold weather. Keep in mind that DJI has a stated operating temperature which you should not fly when it is colder than that or at least you should not complain if you do.

Have you been able to fly the 16ms throughout the duration of your flights in the colder weather?

View attachment 43566
why don't you just go buy a nitro rc plane or heli if you are so unhappy with DJI? Did you read page 19 of the manual? I read the manual before I made my purchase, so I could make an informed purchase.

It's post like this right here that causes others to be misinformed. My references are with the current battery setup. The battery itself could be a great product. The problems most likely are with the firmware developers. That's why we've seen problems one day and not the next.

Okay. I just gotta chime in on the , what I feel, is the deep seated center of this. It's basically like the old saying at a high end restaurant. If you are reading the menu and it has no prices and you ask how much a steak is, then you probably can't afford it. If someone goes out and buys a Mosaritti (spelling) and then complains about the price of gas..................get the idea? This is a high end quad. If one is unable to do the upkeep on it ,then maybe, just maybe, the word "Syma" comes to mind. I hate the cost of the batteries, but that is a part of owning a Phantom. Nuff said.

Red Hot, this might be a little off topic, but I have asked this in other areas of the forum and have never gotten an answer either way. I was wondering if it has ever been determined if this battery issue has always been there or did it appear with one of the firmware upgrades. The reason I ask is that I am still on 1.3.20 and have had no problems. I have tested mine at 10 degrees farenheit and colder and have not had any issues with voltage spikes even when the battery is at 40 percent. I like the way it is performing and would like to stay on my current firmware. Any thoughts you have would be appreciated.
A lot of people never had the problem, but clearly some did. My theory is that it largely depends on how heavy your fingers are. If you push a cold P3 hard towards the bottom have of the charge cycle, you risk dropping below voltage minimums and you risk dropping the P3 out of the sky. If you don't push the controls hard, you're OK. I fly mine like a bus, not a sports car since I'm using it as a camera.

There was / is also the logic that saves the $150 battery at the expense of the $1000 craft - not sure if they've fixed that.

I suspect many people never get near getting into trouble. DJI has to rig their product to an enormous swath of people. Some with impressive technical chops, others not so much. Hard to do.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20