DJI Phantom crushed inside Aerial Media Pros Pro case

Reaction score
Video link: https://vimeo.com/99186886

PLEASE READ. BUYER BEWARE!!!

Recently, I flew from Portland, OR to Iceland to shoot aerial glacier footage with the new DJI Phantom 2 Vision +. To my shock, when I arrived in Iceland I discovered that the Pro hard case I purchased from Aerial Media Pros, to protect the Phantom, had compressed more than an inch, due to the air pressure from the flight. Upon opening the case - once the air vacuum released, I found that the case lid had put direct pressure on top of the copter, rubbed the logo off and the steel tilt axis on the gimbal was snapped off, making the copter useless and ruining my ability to shoot any footage. I must add, when they shipped me the case and copter at purchase time, I opened the lid to find that the mount for the radio extender was snapped off, Clearly, the case had flexed and crushed the mount before. I called Aerial Media Pros to ask for a replacement, but I never received a response.

In Iceland, upon discovering the gimbal was broken, I immediately contacted Aerial Media Pros to ask for a replacement. I had a 5 hour window to get a new copter on the next flight to Iceland so I pressed the manager for a decision. He told me he would look into it and call right back, but he never did. I was finally able to reach him 5 hours later at the end of their Friday business day and he refused to send me the replacement, claiming that this damage was my fault and I was the exception. Needless to say, I was not able to get the new copter = no footage. Uncool, right?

I have flown around the world with Pelican cases and camera gear many times and I have never experienced this pressurization and subsequent damage issue. I believe AEP is selling a faulty case that does not protect the copter as described, but instead allows flex and a vacuum to form, which causes direct contact with the outer case surface, thereby allowing any external jarring action to be transferred directly to the copter. This is very likely how the tilt axis was broken.

Upon my return to the states, I paid for the phantom to be shipped back with me. When I landed in Portland, I found that the case was once again crushed, as shown in this video shot at PDX. On the return leg home I stowed the prop guards and manual inside the case as well, which didn't make contact with the foam or lid when closed, yet I found them smashed against the foam and copter upon opening. Again, this case is clearly not of a professional grade and I hold AMP responsible for selling me an untested case with substandard quality to protect the copter. Needless to say, I am very disappointed at the loss of the time, footage opportunity, trip expense, shipping costs and the cost of the copter itself.

I will now be asking DJI to repair the helicopter. The $2500 I spent with AMP has been met with a cold shoulder and poor customer service. I highly recommend avoiding this case and not purchasing anything from AMP. They do not support their customer or their products, which lacks integrity and accountability.

nowwatch said:
Video link: https://vimeo.com/99186886

PLEASE READ. BUYER BEWARE!!!

Recently, I flew from Portland, OR to Iceland to shoot aerial glacier footage with the new DJI Phantom 2 Vision +. To my shock, when I arrived in Iceland I discovered that the Pro hard case I purchased from Aerial Media Pros, to protect the Phantom, had compressed more than an inch, due to the air pressure from the flight. Upon opening the case - once the air vacuum released, I found that the case lid had put direct pressure on top of the copter, rubbed the logo off and the steel tilt axis on the gimbal was snapped off, making the copter useless and ruining my ability to shoot any footage. I must add, when they shipped me the case and copter at purchase time, I opened the lid to find that the mount for the radio extender was snapped off, Clearly, the case had flexed and crushed the mount before. I called Aerial Media Pros to ask for a replacement, but I never received a response.

In Iceland, upon discovering the gimbal was broken, I immediately contacted Aerial Media Pros to ask for a replacement. I had a 5 hour window to get a new copter on the next flight to Iceland so I pressed the manager for a decision. He told me he would look into it and call right back, but he never did. I was finally able to reach him 5 hours later at the end of their Friday business day and he refused to send me the replacement, claiming that this damage was my fault and I was the exception. Needless to say, I was not able to get the new copter = no footage. Uncool, right?

I have flown around the world with Pelican cases and camera gear many times and I have never experienced this pressurization and subsequent damage issue. I believe AEP is selling a faulty case that does not protect the copter as described, but instead allows flex and a vacuum to form, which causes direct contact with the outer case surface, thereby allowing any external jarring action to be transferred directly to the copter. This is very likely how the tilt axis was broken.

Upon my return to the states, I paid for the phantom to be shipped back with me. When I landed in Portland, I found that the case was once again crushed, as shown in this video shot at PDX. On the return leg home I stowed the prop guards and manual inside the case as well, which didn't make contact with the foam or lid when closed, yet I found them smashed against the foam and copter upon opening. Again, this case is clearly not of a professional grade and I hold AMP responsible for selling me an untested case with substandard quality to protect the copter. Needless to say, I am very disappointed at the loss of the time, footage opportunity, trip expense, shipping costs and the cost of the copter itself.

I will now be asking DJI to repair the helicopter. The $2500 I spent with AMP has been met with a cold shoulder and poor customer service. I highly recommend avoiding this case and not purchasing anything from AMP. They do not support their customer or their products, which lacks integrity and accountability.

Looks like the same case tradecraft uses .its actually a http://www.seahorse920cases.com/
Did you not read the warning and remove the rubber plug in the hinge so it can equalize when flying
not there fault you cant read :roll:

Open the right side latch and look closely for a small rubber o ring, that when removed equalizes air pressure in the case.
When using the case for air travel, it is important to remove this to allow the case to relieve pressure changes during flight.

Yes, there appears to be a small o-ring inside the latch to let it equalize when opened, but not when closed.

There was no warning label on the case when we received it. I assume that AMP removed it when they put the contents inside and shipped to us. Is there genrally a label included?

Shepherd said:
nowwatch said:
had compressed more than an inch, due to the air pressure from the flight.

No. It was not compressed due to air pressure. That's silly. The cargo hold is pressurized to the same level as the cabin (worst case around 8,000ft equivalent).

The air inside the case would be higher pressure than the air in the hold so if anything the case would have expanded, not compressed.

Facts/science = good. Crazy speculation = not good.

Yes. This was in-fact due to air pressure and possibly some weight. Do you think it was caused by magic on both trips? The top and bottom were both crushed in.

Facts/science = your expertise? Crazy judgment and criticism - low integrity.

Shepherd said:
nowwatch said:

No. It was not compressed due to air pressure. That's silly. The cargo hold is pressurized to the same level as the cabin (worst case around 8,000ft equivalent).

The air inside the case would be higher pressure than the air in the hold so if anything the case would have expanded, not compressed.

This is correct.

There is the possibility that the pressure actually equalized at 8000ft, ie it leaked out, and therefore it was subjected to the increased air pressure during the descent.

Shepherd said:
nowwatch said:

I see a slight error here. Yes after decompressing to 8-10,000' equivalent pressure in flight for a few hours, landing into 100' of pressure would compress the case temporarily, but I think it would "reinflate" to normal if not held in its compressed state (e.g., by other luggage).

nowwatch said:
Yes, there appears to be a small o-ring inside the latch to let it equalize when opened, but not when closed.

There was no warning label on the case when we received it. I assume that AMP removed it when they put the contents inside and shipped to us. Is there genrally a label included?

Check out this video review for the Tradecraft XRV case which is the same style as your AMP case. It shows the air relief at 4:44 which is a rubber piece beneath the latch that can be removed to allow pressure changes to equalize during flight.

http://youtu.be/OxRrwhGTSUQ

After two calls to the mgr at AMP, he never mentioned this valve... The valve issue does not prevent the case from being squashed due to the weakness of the lid either - the case is just not up to par for heavy travel. I recommend buying a pelican with custom foam.

Ever bought a pack of potato chips in the airport & taken them on a plane? Seen what happens to it? It inflates like a balloon. Which is what I expect happened to your case, it bulged to the point the air inside escaped (probably through the relief valve) and because the rubber plug was not removed, it most likely prevented the air 'returning' into the case as the aircraft descended, causing it to collapse in on itself... It also looks like something very heavy may have been on top of it too.... Having said that though, one would think a case of that price would have better structural integrity

Patrick from AMP called me and he was unaware of this case issue until I bought it to his attention. They are working on providing clear material for new customers now. He has been very helpful. I have suggested they go with a Pelican case for the better quality valve and superior structural integrity.

I have the tradecraft case and I can stand on it , I weigh 250. I think the whole problem was air pressure.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl