DJI PHANTOM 5 or 4E

Reaction score
my latest finding on possible leaked pics, specs and also a bit of a video ive found of maybe a prototype?

Ive used the info ive found and made a concept visual for my thumbnail. What do you think to my interpretation?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Attachments

• Concept.jpg
    Concept.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 361
I'm about 85% sure I've seen this video before or photos of it, about 10 months ago. DJI said that was a custom built P4P for a client.

Reactions: dirkclod
I'm about 85% sure I've seen this video before or photos of it, about 10 months ago. DJI said that was a custom built P4P for a client.

surley DJI would not make this one off for someone? the cost to develop would cost loads surely?

I'm 100% sure you are correct. True what they said I don't know but saw the same thing.

Why not? Many companies around the world do it all the time, as long as you pay for the R&D.
i guess so, bet it must be or did cost an absolute fortune. Wonder why the person has never been shown, just these random leaked pics and now a video

my latest finding on possible leaked pics, specs and also a bit of a video ive found of maybe a prototype?
You are just rehashing the same old photos of the P5/4E prototypes which have been around for well over a year with no new material showing up since early October.
No-one has any more information beyond the few leaked photos and much of the discussion surrounding them is guesswork and probably wrong.
Any suggestions about speeds, release dates etc are unfounded guesses.
If DJI is doing anything with this model, they are in no hurry to release it.

Your previous video looks to have been influenced by DJI's Phantom X concept video from November 2015 which was just a concept which never went anywhere.

The idea that the Mavic has replaced the Phantom series is ignoring what the interchangeable lenses from the leaked photos would mean for serious photographers.

You are just rehashing the same old photos of the P5/4E prototypes which have been around for well over a year with no new material showing up since early October.
No-one has any more information beyond the few leaked photos and much of the discussion surrounding them is guesswork and probably wrong.
Any suggestions about speeds, release dates etc are unfounded guesses.
If DJI is doing anything with this model, they are in no hurry to release it.

Your previous video looks to have been influenced by DJI's Phantom X concept video from November 2015 which was just a concept which never went anywhere.

The idea that the Mavic has replaced the Phantom series is ignoring what the interchangeable lenses from the leaked photos would mean for serious photographers.
In my opinion, unless they release a Mavic with mechanical shutter, it won't replace the phantom.

It's looking less and less likely any new Phantom will materialize and that going forward we will have the high-end professional Inspire line and below that the Mavic line. Sadly, the latest Mavic's are only just about on par with the 2+ year old Phantom 4 Pro so if a new Mavic comes along with genuinely better camera specs to the P4P it may only do so 3 years after the P4P was released.

DJI went all in trying to kill off the competition with the GoPro Karma drone and having succeeded at that has had no real need to make any improvements -- they are milking 3 year old tech with modest improvements in software (flight modes) and collision avoidance. The camera is no better than my 2.2 year old P4P.

Brian

Reactions: Javier Ruiz O
It's looking less and less likely any new Phantom will materialize and that going forward we will have the high-end professional Inspire line and below that the Mavic line. Sadly, the latest Mavic's are only just about on par with the 2+ year old Phantom 4 Pro so if a new Mavic comes along with genuinely better camera specs to the P4P it may only do so 3 years after the P4P was released.

DJI went all in trying to kill off the competition with the GoPro Karma drone and having succeeded at that has had no real need to make any improvements -- they are milking 3 year old tech with modest improvements in software (flight modes) and collision avoidance. The camera is no better than my 2.2 year old P4P.

Brian
Look a this way. After 3 years, you still have the latest and greatest. No need to invest in newer tech.

Reactions: rward325
Look a this way. After 3 years, you still have the latest and greatest. No need to invest in newer tech.

Look at it this way ... after 2+ years I'm still limited to 100Mbps and 4K30 with frequent glitches in the video -- it would be nice to have 150Mbps and 4K60 and not have the video glitches I now have. The advances in collision avoidance are nice and the additional flight modes are also nice, but since I fly 100% by stick the flight modes are of little interest to me.

Brian

Look at it this way ... after 2+ years I'm still limited to 100Mbps and 4K30 with frequent glitches in the video -- it would be nice to have 150Mbps and 4K60 and not have the video glitches I now have. The advances in collision avoidance are nice and the additional flight modes are also nice, but since I fly 100% by stick the flight modes are of little interest to me.

Brian
You record in h.265?

I suggest you look into the Autel Evo. Those record H.265 at 60fps

Well. technically, the P4P can do 4K60 but the results are not very good. The Autel Evo is listed as 4K60 but I see no reference about bitrate and to do 4K60 any justice 100Mbps isn't enough. Why would I spend money for a lateral move with no improvement?

Edit: Digging deeper is say a 32GB card will get you an hour of 4K video which is about 71Mbps.

Brian

Well. technically, the P4P can do 4K60 but the results are not very good. The Autel Evo is listed as 4K60 but I see no reference about bitrate and to do 4K60 any justice 100Mbps isn't enough. Why would I spend money for a lateral move with no improvement?

Brian
The P4P can do 4K 60fps in H.264. At least I don't get that option in H.265 on either of my P4Ps.

The P4P can do 4K 60fps in H.264. At least I don't get that option in H.265 on either of my P4Ps.

The P4P can't really do 4K60 as the reality is the video is not what it's supposed to be. 4K60 would be very desirable if it actually worked and there was sufficient bitrate to record with detail but with the P4P I'm limited to 4K30. The apparently lower bitrate of the Autel Evo makes that a non-starter for me.

Brian

The P4P can't really do 4K60 as the reality is the video is not what it's supposed to be. 4K60 would be very desirable if it actually worked and there was sufficient bitrate to record with detail but with the P4P I'm limited to 4K30. The apparently lower bitrate of the Autel Evo makes that a non-starter for me.

Brian
What about an Inspire?

What about an Inspire?

I had an Inspire 1 Pro that I sold a few months ago. Upgrading to the I2 didn't make economic sense and, being much larger, isn't as transportable.

I need to make another correction on the Autel Evo -- in another place it lists the bitrate at up to 100Mbps which would make it better than the 71Mbps implied with another statement they made but no better than the 100Mbps of the P4P. I didn't jump on any of the Mavics because none of them surpassed what I already have and as best I can tell the Evo doesn't either. Now, it may implement 4K60 better and be more usable than 4K60 on the P4P, but my sense is to truly make 4K60 work you need more than 100Mbps and ideally 150Mbps or more.

In summary, I'm not upgrading to make a lateral move -- I'll upgrade when there is an actual upgrade in performance.

Brian

I don't think any discussion of a Phantom 5 can exist without out a statement of marketing strategy regarding the positioning of the Mavic 2 Pro line and the Inspire line. It would seem like the Mavic 2 Pro line has room to push to the ceiling of consumer drones while technology packaging (of cameras and circuits) and costs would enable DJI to upgrade the Inspire line so that it will be smaller, more portable, more function, and lower in cost. Additionally, in my opinion, DJI will need to work out with FAA and other regulatory groups what capability can be sold without forcing some kind of pilot enforced training or licensing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic