DJI Phantom 4 Pro & 2 huge military planes close fly by

Here you go. Recorded from my Mavic pro

Thanks, I didn't realize there was also a photo-voltaic site to the northeast of Primm and not just the solar thermal site to the southwest.

I was thinking about heading towards the small mountain east of the two north most sites and maybe hike the mountain to shoot video and stills from the ground and to launch the P4P from. I don't know if that's private property or not but I'd like to get closer and if I could have a perch a few hundred feet about the mountain top with the mountain a few hundred feet above the base could net 600 feet or more above the heliostat fields. The towers with the glowing hot zone make the place super cool even as they are glowing hot.

Brian

Thanks, I didn't realize there was also a photo-voltaic site to the northeast of Primm and not just the solar thermal site to the southwest.

I was thinking about heading towards the small mountain east of the two north most sites and maybe hike the mountain to shoot video and stills from the ground and to launch the P4P from. I don't know if that's private property or not but I'd like to get closer and if I could have a perch a few hundred feet about the mountain top with the mountain a few hundred feet above the base could net 600 feet or more above the heliostat fields. The towers with the glowing hot zone make the place super cool even as they are glowing hot.

Brian
Your welcome. ;)

Brian
You can get some really nice pics doing that. That area is really beautiful

The AC appeared to be less than 500AGL and definitely less than 1000AGL so they looked to have been hot rodding and an area they should not have.

Read Part 91.119. There is no minimum altitude for manned aircraft over sparsely populated areas (except in certain specified areas, such as the Grand Canyon). Also, there is no requirement that military aircraft operate exclusively in designated areas.

Following up on you question about your video ... if the location you detailed is correct you may wish to make a comment about military AC, operating outside of the restricted airspace, flying below there minimums.

Making statements like this based on incorrect understanding of the regs and encouraging fellow UAV pilots to complain about manned aircraft that are operating legally will serve to further the public perception that "drone" hobbyists are a bunch of ignorant yahoos. On the contrary, we must continually demonstrate that we are qualified and knowledgeable enough to operate safely in the national airspace system. Although it may seem that our operations are very restricted in the US, one needs only take a look at other countries to see that we have much greater opportunity than many others. Let's not **** this up.

This is not to say that military pilots never violate the regs or fly recklessly. However, they are very well trained and operate in a by-the-book culture.

Read Part 91.119. There is no minimum altitude for manned aircraft over sparsely populated areas (except in certain specified areas, such as the Grand Canyon). Also, there is no requirement that military aircraft operate exclusively in designated areas.

Making statements like this based on incorrect understanding of the regs and encouraging fellow UAV pilots to complain about manned aircraft that are operating legally will serve to further the public perception that "drone" hobbyists are a bunch of ignorant yahoos. On the contrary, we must continually demonstrate that we are qualified and knowledgeable enough to operate safely in the national airspace system. Although it may seem that our operations are very restricted in the US, one needs only take a look at other countries to see that we have much greater opportunity than many others. Let's not **** this up.

This is not to say that military pilots never violate the regs or fly recklessly. However, they are very well trained and operate in a by-the-book culture.
What irritates me is when drone owners encourage newbies to fly above 400 ft or encouragement of newbies to fly where they want just don't get caught. Ivery had to remove and ban a bunch of people from my phantom 4 pro Facebook group for these things. They just don't care about the hobby or the laws.

Well, I had an interesting encounter this afternoon while flying my replacement P4P for the first time. I was about 200 feet high and flying towards a formation of interest when I heard a small plane that sounded like it was getting closer. I finally see it about 2.5 miles out and he's low, lower than 400 feet by my estimate, so I descend to just above the grass, about 10 feet, and the guy does two laps at low altitude around the formation I was heading towards. I have video but it will take me a bit to process and upload. This had to be the flight where I used H.265 as Windows 10 chokes on it and it plays at about 40% of normal speed or perhaps slower.

Brian

Well, I had an interesting encounter this afternoon while flying my replacement P4P for the first time. I was about 200 feet high and flying towards a formation of interest when I heard a small plane that sounded like it was getting closer. I finally see it about 2.5 miles out and he's low, lower than 400 feet by my estimate, so I descend to just above the grass, about 10 feet, and the guy does two laps at low altitude around the formation I was heading towards. I have video but it will take me a bit to process and upload. This had to be the flight where I used H.265 as Windows 10 chokes on it and it plays at about 40% of normal speed or perhaps slower.

Brian
Whoa! That's crazy. Yes please post the video;)

Please, spare me!

The problem isn't so much the regs but the idea that simply because you can that it's perfectly fine. The military have huge swaths of land 100% dedicated to there low level playground so having them fly, low level outside of those places is unnecessary and potentially dangerous -- legal or not! The area in question is just a few miles from I-15 and although desert there's lots of people that play in the desert -- including folks playing with drones. I'm getting pretty tired of folks that like to defend dangerous flying because, hey, it's legal!

Common sense isn't something you tend to find in books, even rule books!

Brian

Please, spare me!

The problem isn't so much the regs but the idea that simply because you can that it's perfectly fine. The military have huge swaths of land 100% dedicated to there low level playground so having them fly, low level outside of those places is unnecessary and potentially dangerous -- legal or not! The area in question is just a few miles from I-15 and although desert there's lots of people that play in the desert -- including folks playing with drones. I'm getting pretty tired of folks that like to defend dangerous flying because, hey, it's legal!

Common sense isn't something you tend to find in books, even rule books!

Brian
Actually the I-15 is under half a mile from the spot I was flying in. I bet the people driving on the freeway crapped their pants!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl