Dji phantom 3 and fpv

I got to take it out for about a 15min flight. Couple notes for me:

Resolution is low - kind of takes from the experience.

Video seems to only go to only one device - so if it goes to the glasses, it won't show a live feed in the app (i.e. iPhone) and it won't record/cache on the iPhone either.

I feel like I might prefer sticking my phone in a box and slapping it on my face...
You need to set the switch in the DJI GO app to send the video to both the HDMI port and the USB port...... it will do this, but you need to activate the appropriate slider switch in the GO app

You need to set the switch in the DJI GO app to send the video to both the HDMI port and the USB port...... it will do this, but you need to activate the appropriate slider switch in the GO app
Thanks! Found that setting - I'll try it out next flight.

I have tried Fat Shark Dominator V3 and Mybud. Mybud gets you better results at lower price.

I have Sony HMZ-T3 too, it's too expensive and big for site flying.

Last edited:
I'm beginning to realize how little time I get to fly... Boo! But in any case, I swapped out the HDMI cable from a Amazon HDMI + adapter to a Monoprice 9" mini HDMI to mini HDMI - MUCH better! Certainly clearer - and when I powered up the MyBuds - I noticed it showed 1080p in a box when it use to say 720 - Little weird considering the HDMI module only spits out 720p.

They do sit on my nose a little roughly - but the jury is still out, not sure if I want to keep it or splurge a little for something else

Reactions: Reed L
I'm beginning to realize how little time I get to fly... Boo! But in any case, I swapped out the HDMI cable from a Amazon HDMI + adapter to a Monoprice 9" mini HDMI to mini HDMI - MUCH better! Certainly clearer - and when I powered up the MyBuds - I noticed it showed 1080p in a box when it use to say 720 - Little weird considering the HDMI module only spits out 720p.

They do sit on my nose a little roughly - but the jury is still out, not sure if I want to keep it or splurge a little for something else
You are right, we need to adjust to using nose support, there are two types of supports provided. If that problem is overcome then this little thingy would be doing its job. :)

I am going to try sliding my 5.7" Galaxy S6+ in the very end of Quanum v2 goggle shell/sleeve. Fresnel lens in Quanum will still be necessary so screen isnt 'too close' to eyes. Galaxy screen has great color and contrast. Downside would be taking a few seconds to slide phone out of goggles if I need to change settings in Go App. Also I believe a dedicated HDMI screen to HDMI port of P3A controller would have less lag then seen on a mobile device connected via USB.

Litchi may be a good solution for VR goggles without using HDMI module but I would like to run DJI Go App on controller and Goggles on HDMI module. This kind of solution gives you best of the both worlds. You get all settings and alarms and radar available on one side and great flying experience on the other side.

I use HDMI module with Accupix Mybud $199 as my goggles.
How is the FOV with the Mybud goggles? Also, I use reading glasses, will that be a problem? Like you, I don't like the bulk of the Headplay.

I have tried Fat Shark Dominator V3 and Mybud. Mybud gets you better results at lower price.

What do you like better about the Mybud than the Fat Shark? I'm trying to decide between the two. Thanks!

Litchi may be a good solution for VR goggles without using HDMI module but I would like to run DJI Go App on controller and Goggles on HDMI module. This kind of solution gives you best of the both worlds. You get all settings and alarms and radar available on one side and great flying experience on the other side.

I use HDMI module with Accupix Mybud $199 as my goggles.

Hi Alok,
Reading a lot about goggles, I'm coming more and more to the conclusion you've came, MyBud being the best choice of a model equipped with an HDMI input, for all reasons that you've already explained in other goggles threads.

The single matter that still bodders me in comparition with HeadPlay (that we all know delivers a brilliant 720p image, but paying the known price of looking bulky on pilot's head) is what image quality you obtain with your MyBud goggles, that is just a 480p image ?

To easen your evaluation I have taken 2 pics from another PhantomPilots thread (pics taken by Liam_89 and further processed by Flyboy73 thank you guys, both).

1st of all I've reduced them to 720p since this is the resolution the P3P/A RC HDMI output delivers the image. This image will be the reference.
2nd I've reduced them further to 480p because this is the format (16:9) the image is delivered by the MyBud screens.
3rd I've resized them back to 720p just to have the same comparition size on your PC screen.
So what is to compare is the initial 720p image with the one on-purpose degraded to 480p.
Personally I don't see a big difference, it would be worse if the goggles would have a screen of say just 360p (as for instance Fatshark Attitude V3 has).
Please your kind input, as a MyBud owner :)
Thanks

1-image 1 (reference).jpg 2-image 1 (degraded to 480p).jpg 3-image 2 (reference).jpg 4-image 2 (degraded to 480p).jpg

My bud is a nice goggle if it fits to your face and eyes as it's very compact and easy to carry. I was never a fan of fatshark or headsplay.

If you are new to goggles world, I would suggest you to buy a cheap VR goggle for $15-30 and use it with Litchi app. It would give you a feel if you like to operate drone with goggles. If you like that , then think of a decent one say Glyph.

I had written about mybud a year ago, meanwhile you see many new goggles appearing on the market.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Thank you Alok for your feed-back. I've noticed in your postings this approach of starting with cheap VR in Litchi, but I don't use a phone but a tablet to run the controlling pgm.
Please take a look on the pics I've placed in my above message. The degraded to 480p pics are the quality you normally get with your MyBud ?

I can't explain here in few words that it's not just the resolution of the picture that makes the difference, as shown in your pictures above. There are other factors like depth of colors defined by 8bit, 24 bit ....they do make great impact.

Two 4K TVs may produce different impact based on how the picture information is processed and displayed.

Static picture and a video have different impacts as our eyes take time to adjust to changing pictures.

Sorry can't go on writing :)

In short, MyBud is not a high quality goggles. It has its own problem. It has no doubt a small form factor. It was one of the best choice a year ago.

I would suggest to wait and watch for new trends in the market.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers