DJI Phantom 2 Vision battery not charging

Reaction score
Two brand new DJI Phantom 2 Vision batteries - fully charged. 15 minute flight on battery one - then checked and left at 50%. Battery two flew to one led and decided to level off at 50%. Plugged in the charger to the battery and no lights showing charging. If I "turn on the pack" the lights go over 1-4 then shows one led - so there is some power left and it still will power the P2V with no issue. It will not charge when plugged into the charger. Battery one charges with no issue.

So do I have a bad battery after one charge?

flycamdfw

Lipos don't like being charged unless they are pretty drained down. Recharging them when they have quite some tome remaining can in fact reduce the life time of the cells.

You could have a defective batch, before you go back to your dealer fly both batteries down to at least 30% (or lower if close to the ground and flying low) and then fully charge them. See if this helps.

Thanks for the quick response.

I was thinking it was not getting contact with the charger, but when it goes back into the Phantom 2V it powers up and is ready to go - it's still only showing one green led on the pack. The other good battery charges with the charger no prob - battery two acts if it does not see the charger, but again still has power to drive the P2V. You may be correct and that I have a bad battery - now just need to contact my vendor and see if I can swap it out for a new one. I'm really disappointed - this battery is brand new - charged once and now this. For $159.00 I would expect at least two flights.... ha.

Cheers.

Plug the charger into the battery and then power on the battery. This works for me when trying to charge a battery with a high percentage of juice remaining. I think by doing this you trick the controller in the charger to kick on and start charging.

Agree with the "turning it on" method. Although don't do it very often - topping off lipos is apparently not recommended for their longevity.

Received wisdom is fly them down to around 20%, then charge them up again from there. If you are not going to fly for a while then charge them to around 40-50% (2 green lights) as this is the optimum "storage" charge level for lipos to prolong their life.

The other option is to put the suspect battery into the aircraft and plug it into the Assistant software and have a look at the battery stats and see if there's anything there that could point to a bad cell, for example.

Cool I'll plug it into the software- now it longer has power to fly, but I'll check.

Thanks everyone.

So much misinformation about LiPo's. Much of these beliefs come from people that have many years of experience with other battery types.

There is plenty of good info on the web (of course look for reputable sources and not just forum entries), a quick search resulted in this (http://www.4-max.co.uk/pdf/prolong-life-lipo.pdf) a good, accurate read about LiPo's. Of course because of the integrated design of the P2V battery, many of these recommendations don't directly relate to it. But the basic principles are sound.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20