DJI on NBC News - 5-mile No Fly Zone???

I'd bet the Naza M V2 has about 512Kb RAM and 2Mb flash. There's no external storage so it is limited to what comes with the MCU. At about 10 bytes per location, it's a significant percentage of available storage for a feature they most likely didn't budget for in the initial design.

Narrator said:
ianwood said:
No matter what, the Naza simply cannot store every podunk airport.
Hey, we're not in the old days of limited tiny sim cards. All they need to do is store the coordinates and class. That's way less than 0.1kb. So 20,000 airports would be less than 2mb of data. Even 100,000 airports would only be 10mb of data.

I have a 32Gb miniSD card if DJI don't have enough memory :lol:

DJI has clarified that the NBC gave an incorrect impression. Nothing has changed with respect to how DJI has implemented flight restrictions around airports with the exception of adding the DC TFR no fly area and increasing the number of airports in their database.

Reactions: Bag1
Dji is going to screw up a good product...I for one will not buy anything else from them. I don't need a foreign country to regulate what I do here at home, we have enough regulations to go around! I love my Phantom but will likely get rid of it and get something "more user friendly". Trying to make a product idiot proof is impossible. I live vey close to a major airport and I am paranoid about flying around here, so I drive a good distance away. And no matter what built in "safety" features you have someone will figure out how to defeat them, and mess it up for the rest of us.

R4boat said:
Dji is going to screw up a good product...I for one will not buy anything else from them. I don't need a foreign country to regulate what I do here at home, we have enough regulations to go around! I love my Phantom but will likely get rid of it and get something "more user friendly". Trying to make a product idiot proof is impossible. I live vey close to a major airport and I am paranoid about flying around here, so I drive a good distance away. And no matter what built in "safety" features you have someone will figure out how to defeat them, and mess it up for the rest of us.

With respect to the DC area it is the US Government that is telling you what to do.

I can live with this. Not happy with it, but an acceptable compromise.
DJI-Cat-A-Zone-480x246.jpg

R4boat said:
Dji is going to screw up a good product...I for one will not buy anything else from them. I don't need a foreign country to regulate what I do here at home, we have enough regulations to go around!

It's already part of the product! Beijing has been controlling your flights (and possibly your mind) for months already!

R4boat said:
And no matter what built in "safety" features you have someone will figure out how to defeat them, and mess it up for the rest of us.

This is the same reason I took the seatbelts out of my car. :D

SilentAV8R said:
Don't be surprised to see the FAA impose a prohibition against flying in Class B, C, and D airspace in the coming sUAS Rule for non-Section 336 operations.

As they should. Although we need to revisit what SFC means as I think there is still some scope for being able to safely use multi-rotors below 100ft >3nm out from the airport.

ianwood said:
I'd bet the Naza M V2 has about 512Kb RAM and 2Mb flash. There's no external storage so it is limited to what comes with the MCU. At about 10 bytes per location, it's a significant percentage of available storage for a feature they most likely didn't budget for in the initial design.
I may be wrong, but I think it's more expensive now to produce flash memory in the Mb sizes than in the Gb sizes due to low unit quantities.

Narrator said:
I may be wrong, but I think it's more expensive now to produce flash memory in the Mb sizes than in the Gb sizes due to low unit quantities.

The only flash on the Naza is what is on the MCU which I think is an NXP Arm Cortex M3. So that's 64Kb SRAM and either 256KB or 512KB flash.

J.James said:
and none of these restrictions will matter or do any thing to stop a drone thats in a fly away if it dont have gps.

If they really wanted to work hard on some thing that would make the phantoms safer they would do some thing to make sure they could not have so many fly always and they would also do away with any of the so called smart battey's functions being. they are dangerous and can make a phantom crash. and the very reason why no sort of so called smart battery is ever suppose to be used in any kind of flying machine or any thing else were if there is a problem that it can cause the thing to shut down or miss behave.
Once in gets enough gps signal, no matter what mode you're flying, it will automatically land of you're within the restriction zone. I rather it go home than automatically land in the runway

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik