DJI' new mode... privacy and security

As the "Local Data Mode" is currently configured, it looks like it will prevent communication with DJI servers while flying, so no map updates, no TFR updates, no controller/software updates, etc.
"...When a pilot enables local data mode, DJI apps will stop sending or receiving any data over the internet..."

One question: Does "Local Data Mode" also apply to non-flying, hard-wire connections? (downloads, uploads, non-DJI related, flight log uploads, other).

As the "Local Data Mode" is currently configured, it looks like it will prevent communication with DJI servers while flying, so no map updates, no TFR updates, no controller/software updates, etc.
"...When a pilot enables local data mode, DJI apps will stop sending or receiving any data over the internet..."

One question: Does "Local Data Mode" also apply to non-flying, hard-wire connections? (downloads, uploads, non-DJI related, flight log uploads, other).

It simply prevents the flight app, such as DJI GO, from communicating with DJI servers. Nothing else. It doesn't turn off your mobile device's network connection.

This is a good idea.
What would be a much better is if DJI instead reported, "Starting with our next software release, our apps will no longer upload ANYTHING to DJI servers unless the user specifically triggers the action (i.e., upload flight logs, send pix/video). The apps will continue to download important data useful during flight such as maps, Geofencing info, etc.

There isn't an issue with downloading info to your drone to enhance flight, it's unauthorized uploading to unapproved servers that was the issue.

DJI again goes the clunky and overboard method.

Meanwhile, they can't fix tilted horizon or other issues such as those that came up with most recent FW release.

This is a good idea.
What would be a much better is if DJI instead reported, "Starting with our next software release, our apps will no longer upload ANYTHING to DJI servers unless the user specifically triggers the action (i.e., upload flight logs, send pix/video). The apps will continue to download important data useful during flight such as maps, Geofencing info, etc.

There isn't an issue with downloading info to your drone to enhance flight, it's unauthorized uploading to unapproved servers that was the issue.

DJI again goes the clunky and overboard method.

even if it only downloads it will give away the general location of the device running dji go via the ip address. some people may not want even the general location of the flight being given away.

seems kinda a non issue as you can just use airplane mode or run it on something with no internet capability.

Reactions: grandpap4p
even if it only downloads it will give away the general location of the device running dji go via the ip address. some people may not want even the general location of the flight being given away.

seems kinda a non issue as you can just use airplane mode or run it on something with no internet capability.
That's not how it works with either Apple's or Google's app store when you download the app. The app is coming from their servers, not DJI's. DJI can get download counts by country, but not by IP address. When the app downloads data, then DJI will have the IP address. That would give them your home or business address, not the flight location (unless you only use the app when you are on location).

That's not how it works with either Apple's or Google's app store when you download the app. The app is coming from their servers, not DJI's. DJI can get download counts by country, but not by IP address. When the app downloads data, then DJI will have the IP address. That would give them your home or business address, not the flight location (unless you only use the app when you are on location).

i dont mean the initial app download, i mean the app itself download info from dji servers at the time of the flight.

or does it not do this when running? doesnt it log into the dji servers when you fire the app up?

but you are probably right it will only show the verizon (my carrier) ip which may not be very specific. i was thinking different verizon coverage areas may have specific ip ranges but maybe not, might be just one big pool of ips nation wide.

Last edited:
i dont mean the initial app download, i mean the app itself download info from dji servers at the time of the flight.

or does it not do this when running? doesnt it log into the dji servers when you fire the app up?

but you are probably right it will only show the verizon (my carrier) ip which may not be very specific. i was thinking different verizon coverage areas may have specific ip ranges but maybe not, might be just one big pool of ips nation wide.
If you are on Wi-Fi, you can usually geo-locate the address. But not always. My office is in Albany, NY, but our network connects to the Internet from our Maine office. Websites that try to locate you based on IP (instead of asking the browser for lat/lon) usually list me as being in Maine.

If you are on cell, then you really can't use IP address for location.

It's all moot as the DJI apps have permission to use GPS to identify the location.

Reactions: edithouse
If you are on Wi-Fi, you can usually geo-locate the address. But not always. My office is in Albany, NY, but our network connects to the Internet from our Maine office. Websites that try to locate you based on IP (instead of asking the browser for lat/lon) usually list me as being in Maine.

If you are on cell, then you really can't use IP address for location.

It's all moot as the DJI apps have permission to use GPS to identify the location.

ah, got it. thanks for the clarification.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie