DJI makes 1 billion in 2015 but why isn't it made in America ?

What would Donald Trump say? "Time to make quality drones in America
What does this have to do with DJI Phantoms? And who cares.

Why does DJI make their products in China? Well for one... they are located in China. Two, would you rather make millions or billions?

Lastly, do you own anything made my DJI? Then I'd recommend you look no further then yourself before you event think about pointing your finger at anyone else. Or is that not how Trump would do it.

Sad.... just a sad post.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
A chineese worker is happy just to have a job at all making in a week what we likely make in an hour.

So tell me again why the jobs are over there?
You need to step out of your 90's time machine and come back to 2016.

1. Chinese worker make a lot less then your avg American worker but not week=hr unless you happen to be a lawyer for big law firm. Typical Chinese worker make about$600us/mt with full medical-food-housing

Just think. China is one of the top if not the biggest iPhone customer for Apple at around 900us each.
Spending money come from somewhere!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

When I was a little kid in the 60's, people always talked about "cheap Japanese" stuff. Saying something was "Made in Japan" was an indicator of poor quality. It changed for Japan, and it has turned the corner for China.

Some Chinese stuff lacks perfection in the quality control department, and there are some issues with ethics in their descriptions, but they seem to produce generally high quality high-tech gear these days.

I'm a little disturbed to think how much money I've sent directly to China in the last couple of years. With their postal deals, they don't even have to rely on American middle-men anymore.

American workers aren't willing to compete on an international scale. That could be the subject of a whole other thread...

My daydream is to learn Chinese and become the king of writing decent instructions in English. I understand there's a need for that... ;)

Reactions: grottoli
I've read this message thread and I'm surprised that nobody has posted the real reason that manufacturing jobs are being sent to China. I think most of you have a pretty good understanding - but then there are some that don't have an f'in clue like the person that made the slave labor comment.

It's global economics at work - and that may be a complex topic to understand fully - but to simplify the relative points - workers in China have an improving, but lower standard of living than we do over here. They also have a lower cost of living. I read one article which said that housing is (or was) subsidized by the government and that most families in China only pay 1% of their annual salaries on housing.

Foreign companies like Apple, HP and Samsung that send jobs to China don't show up and start exploiting workers - they pay a salary which is comparable to - and often better than - the salary the same worker would get at a local Chinese factory of such a job were available. Many under-educated people in the US can't understand what differences in the cost of living mean - or that money may go further in other parts of the world - so they hear things like $1/hour and they are shocked because they know that THEY couldn't survive for $1/day. They throw out what they think are simple solutions like "just because the Chinese government underpays people doesn't mean we should!" - or - "the US government should just force companies to make their products here in the US" and they don't realize what "solutions" like those would mean.

In the first example - let's say Apple shows up and builds a factory in China, then needs to hire 1,000 people to staff it. If they offer significantly less than the average salary, nobody is going to come and work for them - but if they offer a US salary - which could be 15 or 20 times the average salary in the area - they are going to be responsible for mass rioting and murders as workers try to make sure they get one of the jobs. You can't have such vast discrepancies without consequences. Factory workers would be paid more than skilled senior technical workers at other local companies. There is an entire economy that needs to be considered.

And in both of the examples I give - the COST of producing the items is going to go up DRAMATICALLY! It doesn't mean that the company will have to sacrifice some of their profits. It means there won't be any profits - or any sales! An iPhone that costs $30 to manufacture in China would likely cost $800 to manufacture in the US. And all of the components that Apple purchase from others to put inside the iPhone are also going to be MUCH more expensive if the manufacturing of them are moved to the US.. iPhones that currently cost $200 to manufacture, will cost $3000 to manufacture - and then Apple will still need their 40% markup on them - so go ahead and move all the jobs to the US - but prepare to pay over $4,000 for your phone - and your DJI drone will jump from $1000 to about $4000 also.

If you really want to understand why things are cheaper to manufacture in China - read the following Wiki article:
Standard of living in China - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bottom line is that workers in China welcome the foreign jobs and are generally pretty happy working for the salaries they are paid. Like anywhere else, they would like to earn more - but raising the standard of living in China has to come from within - a couple of foreign companies can't change things.

Bringing manufacturing jobs back to the US is a fools game. The ship has sailed on that and trying to make this happen would not do anybody any favours. What the government should be focusing on is creating new, different jobs to replace the manufacturing jobs that are gone for good.

"...the real reason that manufacturing jobs are being sent to China."

Of course, in the case of DJI ("Dajiang Innovation Technology Co."), the jobs weren't sent to China... they were always there."

Here's a good article about the company and its founder: Bow To Your Billionaire Drone Overlord: Frank Wang's Quest To Put DJI Robots Into The Sky

I have no doubt that America could get DJI to start a manufacturing plant in the U.S. We'd just have to find people who (as you suggest) are willing to work for the same wages, and under the same working conditions, as Chinese workers. That ain't happening.

Import penalties and domestic production incentives are similarly not feasible.

In the 70's there was a push, largely by American unions, to guilt people into buying American.

Yeah... that didn't work either. Folks didn't have that much sympathy for unionized American workers who wanted to sit in an air conditioned factory and get paid an upper middle class wage (plus pension) for cushy work.

We're part of a global economy now, and American manufacturing is facing some unprecedented challenges.

I'm amazed at the growth DJI has had doubling its turnover in 1 year and yet it's a chinese designed chinese made product. What would Donald Trump say? "Time to make quality drones in America " I'd say, but over all hats off to China, this for me is the first time I've seen a quality product designed and made in China, a good sign for things to come for China in general, why? Because they listen to their customers and strive for perfection, no different to apple really (which is designed in America)
It just pi**es me off that to return anything back to them is an ordeal. And it sometimes costs more to send than to just keep the items. Where are you DONALD TRUMP?

Well the cracks are coming up thick and fast, so you could be right on the quality issue, I was talking more of their gimbal technology and so forth, I'm sure a plastic frame error can be adjusted at the factory, whether dji would actually spend the money improving it is another question.

Have you wonder where your iphone was made.

It's difficult to read this thread. Misspelled words, misformed sentences abound. But to address the OPs question, first and foremost, DJI is a Chinese company. Pretty obvious why the product is not "Made in America". So the question borders on stupidity. Did you buy the product? I did, and I think the build quality and functionality speaks for itself. Your question reeks racism. Obviously a Chinese company is just making way too much money on a product they designed, manufactured, and sold to millions. That just can't be right, or acceptable. Your thinking, which leads to your question, clearly speaks volumes regarding your lack of education, values, and your general outlook on life.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Have you wonder where your iphone was made.

The iPhone is designed in America with manufacturing guidelines to maintain its quality, if it were not for "American apple" the iPhone would have been doomed years ago.

Very sad and the big thing Trump is against is slave labor in China, I say stand up and say no! Make things in America again.

Suprising how many people have it wrong about why Trump and others are upset with China. It's about their manipulation of currency values which by extension moves jobs there and India and South America.

Suprising how many people have it wrong about why Trump and others are upset with China. It's about their manipulation of currency values which by extension moves jobs there and India and South America.

How can a free market be manipulated?
Extremely low wages can be manipulated.

I often see people saying they will stop buying a certain product because of "slave wages". There have been various campaigns by "do gooders" in the UK and the USA over this. What these people do NOT see is the immediate result of their actions. These people on slave wages suddenly lose thier jobs! These countries do not have benefits systems. The REAL result of your actions is people go hungry. I have seen it with my own eyes. I have even been in that situation myself!
Ask someone in the developing world if they would rather earn $5 a day or nothing I know what the answer will be.

If you believe China has a free market the end of discussion.
Well... China doesn't have a free market, but their goods get placed into the free market. I don't think DJI counts on Chinese sales for a large part of its production run. A hobbyist in Wisconsin and a hobbyist in Warsaw are both deciding which drone to buy based on quality and price. The DJI product is going to win out over any American product a large part of the time.

I wonder what will happen when DJI starts making cars...

I'm amazed at the growth DJI has had doubling its turnover in 1 year and yet it's a chinese designed chinese made product. What would Donald Trump say? "Time to make quality drones in America " I'd say, but over all hats off to China, this for me is the first time I've seen a quality product designed and made in China, a good sign for things to come for China in general, why? Because they listen to their customers and strive for perfection, no different to apple really (which is designed in America).

they stay there because you cant serve civil papers to china

Hopefully, one day they will be redesigned and built by BMW or Porsche.
I don't really buy products made in the USA, frankly .... and will not until quality becomes more important to the population than $$$.

This thread is about to get booted to the off topic section. Political discussion is not allowed except in the context of drones. If you want to talk about DJI's policies, fine but let's leave Donald Drumpf out of it.

As for where DJI makes their products, like most all sophisticated products, theirs are made up of components from all over the world and assembled in a country where labor is cheap and regulations sparse. We live in a global economy with globally sourced components and commoditized labor, a concept some politicians can't seem to fully grasp.

Reactions: peterepeat69
The iPhone is designed in America with manufacturing guidelines to maintain its quality, if it were not for "American apple" the iPhone would have been doomed years ago.

Actually without iPhone. Apple would have been doomed years ago!

You would think Apple is a computer company, but the truth is over 65% of their profit last year come from iPhone. The other 35% come from iPad, App Store iTunes. And yes computer combine.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31