DJI Lens Correction for Videos

BenDronePilot said:
Pull_Up said:
A question for those more versed in the ins and outs of lenses than I...

When DJI release the 46mm lens filter adapter kit, is there anything available that could be fitted to that to do a correction? Or is putting it in front of the lens just not going to work? As you can tell, I have no idea about any of this!

Also, does anyone have any video they can share which they took with the 90 degree FOV, just to compare? Thanks...

I have three videos on my Ben7seven7 YouTube channel currently showing the Phantom 2 vision with the 1080p 30 FPS 90 degree angle view. It's not 100% perfect but there is little to no obvious lens distortion, especially as compared to people filming video on wide. Here is a link to one of them.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=tpaYVU5JTio
Just curious what camera you were using to shot this and what resolution. Thanks for sharing that. I like the straight down shots best, feels like being in a hot air balloon.

Phantasmic said:
BigSky said:
BenDronePilot said:
I've got a better solution for you. Shoot your videos in 90 degree angle like I do so you get virtually no lens distortion or fisheye that way.
How will shooting at 90 degrees change that? And you would have to be horizontal to your subject to capture it that way. What if you want shots looking downward? I guess I don't understand something here.

He isn't communicating well again.

Normal folks read "90 degree angle" and think about the angle that the camera is pointing. That is not what "BenDronePilot" is attempting to refer to.

In this case he is not referring to a 90 degree angle but shooting in the 90 degree field of view (FOV) setting. This grabs the center part of the lens and reduces the amount of fisheye in the resulting images.

OK, thanks, that makes perfect sense to me now. I have an iPhone and cannot view the settings on my Phantom 2 Vision Camera because DJI screwed something up and they have no app for iPhone right now. I'm frustrated because I just got my vision today and I'm dead in the water till they come up with an app.

BenDronePilot said:
Firestat said:
Very nice video in Queens. But I am confused: How do you shoot at "90 degrees"? Not sure what that means.

Thanks
Chuck

Thanks, glad you like the video, feel free to check the others out. I could give links if needed. And the field of view is selected to the right of your resolution setting.

You are referring to the iPhone app for the Camera on the Phantom 2 Vision ….Right? I can't even look at settings because they don't have an iPhone app right now. At least that's what they told me on the phone today.

BigSky said:
You are referring to the iPhone app for the Camera on the Phantom 2 Vision ….Right? I can't even look at settings because they don't have an iPhone app right now. At least that's what they told me on the phone today.
The Vision iPhone app was pulled from the App Store for 2 days because they screwed up & released a broken version. It's been fixed and just re-released today. I just downloaded the fixed version 1.0.32 from the App Store (in the US, anyway).

BigSky said:
jimre said:
rmklaw said:
Thanks. I am doing it now. Slow process.
Yep, Photoshop renders video very slowly, and has limited rendering choices. Dedicated video apps like Adobe Premiere, Adobe After Effects, Sony Vegas or others will render video much faster and make better use of your CPUs and GPUs processing power. Photoshop's automatic correction based on lens profiles is nice - but for video it may not be worth putting up with Photoshop's slow rendering.

It may be better to use the built-in lens-distortion correction filters found in dedicated video apps - like the one in After Effects. Not automatic based on a lens profile, but it's easy to manually move a slider until it looks good. And they render a lot faster than Photoshop.

Is After Effects a free download App?
Adobe offers a 30-day free trial of After Effects, like all their other apps. But keep in mind that After Effects is an enormous, professional program for creating elaborate special effects - with a steep learning curve. Getting After Effects just to correct fisheye - would be like buying a nuclear aircraft carrier for a canoe ride across the lake.

Interesting. Does shooting with 90-degree FOV work any differently than shooting with the full 140-degree FOV, and later cropping the video in post? Hmmm, will have to try this...

It's the field of view of the camera. You can select different FOVs (for video only, not stills) in 1080p mode - it's from within the app.
THANK YOU!!! I did not know about that option. I see it will make me almost happy without the need to use the lens converter.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl