DJI GS Pro vs Pix4D Capture?

I've mostly used map pilot with my P4P but found it fairly unreliable, especally on my older ipad mini 2 (which I no longer use with it) and frequently crashing. I like the look and feel of DJI Ground Station Pro and am going to be testing it next, however when testing in sim it did show the orientation doesn't change when doing grid pattern, which seems unlike all of the other similar apps. Not an issue for me as has forwards and backwards sensors (which can be enabled during the mission) and mechanical shutter, but not ideal. Hopefully they will enable an option to change this in a future version, or it's simply a setting I haven't found yet..

I've been using Map Pilot with a iPad Mini 4 and it's fine ..but I do like the GSPro better ..this weekend i'm doing a job where I can use either one and i'm using GSPro ..I'm hoping it's a solid win since I found it easier to use for customer preferred settings (overlap,speed, etc)

I have issues with GS Pro not taking images for a stretch. Sometimes it is two or three and others it will miss and entire run. I use Drone Deploy typically and have never had an issue but I like the ability to alter the gimbal pitch like in GS Pro. I can't find that option in Drone Deploy.

I've also had that issue with GS Pro not taking some pictures. Exactly like you described; sometimes just a few and sometimes the whole area. I still think it is much better than any of the other apps out there right now.
If you figure out whats causing the missing image scenario let me know!!

I've also had that issue with GS Pro not taking some pictures. Exactly like you described; sometimes just a few and sometimes the whole area. I still think it is much better than any of the other apps out there right now.
If you figure out whats causing the missing image scenario let me know!!
I have had this issue with GS Pro, Pix4DCapture, Map Pilot and Drone Deploy using my Phantom 4. I would really like to know the answer too if there is one as I commercially operate and need to be able to get consistent image capture.

I am glad, not in a bad way, that you guys are having this issue as well as I thought it could be my Phantom but if others are having the issue it's not just a defect in mine. I have even tried the 'Safe' capture mode in Pix4D where the waypoints are all uploaded before takeoff and the drone stops at each waypoint to take the picture, even this didn't help. Some thought it could be the write speed to the SD card but I have a good SD card and the 'Safe' mode should have eliminated this but it did not.

but I have a good SD card
What are you using for an SD card? We were using a SanDisk Ultra, but have an Extreme Pro on order to try and see if that's the issue. Pix4D is the worst culprit for missing images but it just happened on GS Pro as well. The card was formatted before the flight using the DJI 4 app, if that helps.

Currently I have a SanDisk Extreme Ultra but have some of the Extreme Pro's on order as well.

I have a SanDisk Extreme Ultra
Those are the nicest cards out there, so I don't know what could be happening.

We took out two different cards this afternoon, the stock Sony 16GB U3 and our SanDisk Ultra. Some of our flights only took one image for what should have been hundreds of images. We flew 3 flights, 2 with GS Pro and 1 with Map Pilot (because we couldn't get MP to talk to the P4P after many, many restarts). Overall, it was a very disappointing afternoon. If this had been a mapping mission and not a test mission, we would have lost hours of work and still not have had anything to show for it.

We're using a brand new iPad 4 Mini (A1550) and I'm wondering if the heat could have affected it. There were some vague warnings about CPU usage in both the DJI and MP apps. Maybe we need to water-cool the iPad and try again.

I have been getting my best image captures using Drone Deploy lately. But I'm in the same boat, I am running test missions but need something reliable for when I am going to be working for a client.

Out of curiosity, what tablet are you using? We're starting to think that our iPad is overheating and is to blame.

Image capture isn't triggered by the iPad though. If the drone disconnects from the controller it keeps flying the mission and taking pictures.

Out of curiosity, what tablet are you using? We're starting to think that our iPad is overheating and is to blame.
I use an Ipad mini 2 but do not operate in a warm climate so overheating should not be an issue and as egingras stated the drone should continue the mission as all waypoints are uploaded before takeoff.

I just received my new Inspire 2 and flew a test mission yesterday using GS Pro and I had over 200 image captures with no gaps. I am hoping I'll have more success using the I2.

Image capture isn't triggered by the iPad though.
I know that the mission is uploaded to the P4 and we're using GS Pro on the interval setting, so it should be automatic, but I can't seem to figure out why the P4 is failing to take photos along entire flight lines or starting and stopping so often. We switched to an Android tablet and everything ran 100% ok, then back to the iPad and failure again. I feel like the tablet is an issue, but it shouldn't be. The video gets choppy on the iPad and seems to freeze, that's when the imagery seems to stop from triggering. Without turning off the P4, we swapped back to the Android and everything was fine again. This is getting very annoying and we can't trust the UAV to fly a complete mission.

Those are the nicest cards out there, so I don't know what could be happening.

We took out two different cards this afternoon, the stock Sony 16GB U3 and our SanDisk Ultra. Some of our flights only took one image for what should have been hundreds of images. We flew 3 flights, 2 with GS Pro and 1 with Map Pilot (because we couldn't get MP to talk to the P4P after many, many restarts). Overall, it was a very disappointing afternoon. If this had been a mapping mission and not a test mission, we would have lost hours of work and still not have had anything to show for it.

We're using a brand new iPad 4 Mini (A1550) and I'm wondering if the heat could have affected it. There were some vague warnings about CPU usage in both the DJI and MP apps. Maybe we need to water-cool the iPad and try again.

Apparently the iOS devices do slow down when they get hot - no longer using mine in a sturdy case when mapping

Check out this post
Thanks, I'll give those a try. Unfortunately, I can only get Map Pilot to upload the waypoint data every 10th time or less. I've had to rely on GS Pro and it has been less than trustworthy lately. I gave up on Pix4D Capture months ago, but will give it another shot, maybe they fixed a few things.

I got these lines from the logs of a flight where there were missed shots. Does anyone know what it means?

35293 [L-CAMERA]!!!!!!!!!!!!shot camera acked len 1 buf 228. cb_type=0| 35293 [L-CAMERA]I receive camera reply result is 228| 35293 [L-CAMERA]cmd failed reason 228| 35294 [L-CAMERA]recv step 2 failed

35295 [L-CAMERA]FAILED SIMPLE_SHOT

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl