DJI Go : Smart Go Home option

There is one more thought, if your Phantom is on low battery and decides to RTH, wouldn't you rather that it come back and start to land but perhaps give you time to take back some control, if it decides to land in a tree. RTH isn't an exact science with these drones and so it's smart to take off in an open area, so if it does come back and land, it's done in a safe manner. And ready to fly another day.
The technology we are working with here is already so sofisticated, it's rather hard to imagine them giving us much more options to fly with. Only a few short years ago, this sort of tech, would have set you back many thousands. ;-) Think military and the like...

RedHotPoker

Depending on certain parameters the Phantom will sometimes just land instead of executing a "Go-Home". If that happens over water or any other undesirable terrain, it would be useful if it hovered instead, allowing the pilot to get close enough to regain control?
as a rookie I have been trying to test my phantom 4 rth.... I shut off my radio with over 50% power, over 7 satellites, and within 20' of home, it just landed instead of return to home, I can't find where the smart go home screen is, help? would like to be able to take off from a slow moving boat, take pics over the water, and return to the boat and hover so I can retrieve it....

as a rookie I have been trying to test my phantom 4 rth.... I shut off my radio with over 50% power, over 7 satellites, and within 20' of home, it just landed instead of return to home, I can't find where the smart go home screen is, help? would like to be able to take off from a slow moving boat, take pics over the water, and return to the boat and hover so I can retrieve it....
If your P4 is within 66 feet of your home point when RTH is engaged it will simply land where it is.

Smart go home is under the advanced menu in the aircraft menu.

Unfortunately your home point has to be manually updated if you're in a moving vehicle unless you're using the apps follow me feature--though I haven't tested this with the P4.

I recently lost my Phantom 4 in the Gulf of Mexico while videoing a Dive Boat running back to the mainland in Sport Mode. At about 60% battery the P4 gave me a battery error message and initiated a RTH command to the original launch site despite my trying to reset the "home point" in the DJI Go app. Once it goes into RTH after the "Smart Go Home" feature initiates, you cannot cancel the command or reset the home point. Do not fly over the water with the "Smart Go Home" feature enabled on your Phantom 4 unless you can drive the boat to retrieve the Phantom 4 at the home point you launched from. I have learned the hard way and DJI isn't clear about the use of this feature in the manual. The drone decides when to initiate the feature based on distance from original home point and remaining battery life. The farther away you travel from the original home point, the quicker the Phantom 4 will initiate the "Smart Go Home" feature.

Reactions: Mike Mauk
If your P4 is within 66 feet of your home point when RTH is engaged it will simply land where it is.
Old post, but I just had to comment on this (and surely am not the first): What a completely stupid, moronic design for the software.

If at 70 feet, it will try and return to the exact spot it where it took off using GPS, and quite reliably will land within 10 feet (I get within 5 feet usually) of the home point. No guarantee, of course, but if all the positioning stuff is working (which nominally it is), you'll get back pretty close.

66 feet or less? just land in that tree you're over because something shorted in your RC. Even though there is absolutely no reason not try for the home point, using the exact same process.

What idiot thought that would be a good idea?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.