DJI GO 4 Phone Permission

Reaction score
I've been trying to find by searching WHY DJI insists on having permission to have my phone as one of their requirements to fully load the latest DJI GO4 APP for my new PP4V2. In the past when I downloaded the DJI APPs for my P3P, my P4, my I1V2 and my Mavic Pro I just gave my permission but I just tried to deny my permission and no matter how I tried DJI wouldn't let me fully load the APP. "Why do they need access to my phone?"

They need access to different services including the camera, for live streaming if you would like to have your face on the screen in a live stream. Location, this one you definitely need! It is used for different things like the map and so that RTH (Return to home) works. If this is not enabled, your drone may not know where to go when going home. It also uses it for any other functions where it needs to use the GPS in your device. Your controller uses the GPS in your device and your device sends the GPS location signal to the controller, then the drone.
The microphone is also used for live streaming so that your viewers watching the live stream can hear you. You can turn this and the camera off in your device settings by going to Settings > Apps > DJI GO / GO 4 > Permissions.
Next one is the "Phone" part of your phone. DJI doesn't need this permission so that they can make calls on your phone, but to manage them, in case you are getting a phone call when flying it will let you know.
The last one is your storage. It needs to be able to save the cache files to your phone, like the videos you take with your drone and save a cache version in a lower quality. You can disable this in the DJI app. Go to the top right corner of the camera view and tap the 3 dots, now tap another 3 dots again on the bottom left. Now go down to video cache and turn off "Cache Locally When Recording".

Hope this helps! If I am incorrect about something or forgot something, someone please let me know. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for your in depth explanation.

Definitely not sarcastic! I really appreciate your in depth explanation!!

Hope this helps! If I am incorrect about something or forgot something, someone please let me know.
That was all pretty good except the GPS/Location stuff.
The Phantom gets its homepoint location from its own GPS receiver.
But the app can access location data from the phone or tablet for Follow-me flying or resetting the homepoint to the current location of the controller which could be used by anyone flying from a moving boat or car etc.

Reactions: UpLift Aerial

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj