DJI GO 4.0.5 NOTORIOUSLY UNSTABLE

Reaction score
I don't think I am in any way the only person as I have noticed this a lot all over YouTube reviews and elsewhere, but, is anyone else seriously annoyed at the lack of stability of the DJI Go 4.0.4 or 4.0.5 app? It has a dangerous habit of crashing mid flight or mid flight during an automated flight plan (e.g. point of interest, etc.) and - like me - especially on Android devices (but I have seen reports of iOS crashes too).

Has anyone had any contact with DJI regarding this as it does not instill any confidence, especially during a time when countries across the Western hemisphere are going mad over drone/ UAV laws? I use Android 7.0 on a Sony Xperia Z5. I am not interested in buying Apple iPads, etc., purely because Apple does not allow you to insert micro SD expansion cards into their devices (which just gives them license to charge the Earth for higher memory capacity iPads). Thanks

I also use an Android device, the Google Nexus 7 II. Ever since the most recent update of DJI Go 4, the app is not usable. The app disconnects and goes to the registration and sign-in screen, but doesn't even accept the sign-in. This glitch occurs on EVERY attempt to use DJI Go 4. Distance has nothing to do with the flaw... it will occur within one minute whether the drone is near or far at the time.

So, I uninstalled Go 4 and I'm using Litchi. No problem at all with Litchi.

Reactions: Nowelly
I don't think I am in any way the only person as I have noticed this a lot all over YouTube reviews and elsewhere, but, is anyone else seriously annoyed at the lack of stability of the DJI Go 4.0.4 or 4.0.5 app? It has a dangerous habit of crashing mid flight or mid flight during an automated flight plan (e.g. point of interest, etc.) and - like me - especially on Android devices (but I have seen reports of iOS crashes too).

Has anyone had any contact with DJI regarding this as it does not instill any confidence, especially during a time when countries across the Western hemisphere are going mad over drone/ UAV laws? I use Android 7.0 on a Sony Xperia Z5. I am not interested in buying Apple iPads, etc., purely because Apple does not allow you to insert micro SD expansion cards into their devices (which just gives them license to charge the Earth for higher memory capacity iPads). Thanks
Yip just yesterday had a disconect mid flight ,incorec flight path and was like flying with a brick on its back,,was lucky got away wuth reinstall app ,a imu cali,,seems normal again

Samsung Tab E (Android) and DJIGo4 running 4.05.. No apparent problems and I fly 4 batteries a day.

AD

I've been using an iPhone 7+ and an iPad mini 4. After 400+ flights, not a hiccup.

Yep, just not an Apple fan at all mate, I'm afraid. I have an allergy to being ripped off and, after being ripped off, being told what I can do, who I can connect to, what other computer/ device types I can communicate with, and everything having to go through the iTunes steering committee, by the company that ripped me off just for the sake of a pretty looking object ;). Seriously speaking, I have a problem Apple charging a king's ransom just for 16 or 32Gb extra memory in an iPad (which it does do) when you can add a high speed micro SD in most other devices for a fraction of the price. I don't much like the fact Apple mark up goods by approx. 70% above what Chinese sweat shops build them for either. I am typing away on this iPad 2 I got as a gift some time ago, and I hate it lol.

I also use an Android device, the Google Nexus 7 II. Ever since the most recent update of DJI Go 4, the app is not usable. The app disconnects and goes to the registration and sign-in screen, but doesn't even accept the sign-in. This glitch occurs on EVERY attempt to use DJI Go 4. Distance has nothing to do with the flaw... it will occur within one minute whether the drone is near or far at the time.

Yep, these "Here" maps (useless) replacing Google Maps, and, the very first version of Go 4 I started out with on my device was rock solid. I have written to DJI demanding answers so will see what they have to say for themselves! This is rather important as I fly to Italy next week with my drone and the last thing I want is the software being as useful as a chocolate fireguard ;)

iPhone 7 and DJI Go 4.0.5 and no problems so far. But most of my flights are manual, not automated.

Same as mine... But it is not only the auto flight modes when it screws up, it is manual and auto modes ;)

Reactions: jr257944

Says a lot for DJI that you are using a 3rd party app to run their hardware! I hope you have told them that in an as embarrassing a way as you can ;)

The 4 app, is crap. Mine is unusable as the signal is so poor.Google Nexus 7. has been fine for nice months until this forced 'update'.

Yes, it seems to be dodgy firmware updates, I agree jester. Part of me wants to just revert back to the original Go 4 with no updates as that is when it was stable!

Reactions: Jester1964
DJI are being suspiciously quiet. I wonder how many people might have crashed because of a problem with the signal. I had one m8 that had to hit RTL when the signal went completely. That is unacceptable for a supposedly premium 'prosumer' Multirotor of any description. :(

DJI are being suspiciously quiet. I wonder how many people might have crashed because of a problem with the signal. I had one m8 that had to hit RTL when the signal went completely. That is unacceptable for a supposedly premium 'prosumer' Multirotor of any description. :(
DJI has long established that they do not react quickly or efficiently to problems. The silence is not suspicious, it's business as usual. Unacceptable as it might be, a lot of us keep buying DJI products.

A DJI bird that loses contact with the control signal will Return To Home without the need for the operator to activate Return To Home, assuming that is the behavior that has been pre-programmed by the operator in the event of signal loss. If operator-activated RTH causes the aircraft to return to home, then by definition there is still signal contact with the aircraft. The aircraft can't respond to a signal if it can't receive a signal, and operator-activated RTH is a signal.

On a tangentially related subject, I was able to use DJI Go 4 on my Galaxy Amp 2 phone this morning without experiencing any problems. The Amp 2 isn't even on the list of devices that DJI says will work. It's beyond me why my Amp 2 connects just fine to DJI Go 4 but my Google Nexus 7 II does not. Both devices have the same OS. I do expect that one of these days, there will suddenly be no more connection problems when using my Nexus 7. This may happen as the result of a future firmware update or it may happen for no apparent reason, possibly as a result of some tweak instituted by Android rather than any change by DJI.

Last edited:
I had one m8 that had to hit RTL when the signal went completely. That is unacceptable for a supposedly premium 'prosumer' Multirotor of any description. :(
So just what happens when "the signal went completely" and you hit RTL (RTH?).

How does the drone GET that signal you just sent out, you know, the one that "went completely".

Did your "M8" understand the logic of the RTH function?

AD

A DJI bird that loses contact with the control signal will Return To Home without the need for the operator to activate Return To Home, assuming that is the behavior that has been pre-programmed by the operator in the event of signal loss. If operator-activated RTH causes the aircraft to return to home, then by definition there is still signal contact with the aircraft. The aircraft can't respond to a signal if it can't receive a signal, and operator-activated RTH is a signal..

Actually, I can confirm I have had THREE occasions when the RTH failed to activate when I was in flight and the app crashed: once when I was doing a Point of Interest flight (RTH did not kick in when the app crashed and controller lost connection as a result), and twice more during manual flight when the app "grey screened" on me, lost connection with the aircraft, the aircraft didn't go anywhere, but RTH did not kick in, even though it was specified in the app to work and operate and the position had been confirmed as recorded too. So, somethong fishy there.

DJI care solely about marketing their products as Steve Jobs used to market Apple, the only difference being (a huge difference, admittedly) is that Apple supply dependable and reliable expensive products whereas DJI supply very expensive, crashable and very damageable products, and as a machine that is subject to ever changing laws and public safety concerns, needs to be damned robust, reliable and dependable (save human error).

Reactions: Jester1964
Actually, I can confirm I have had THREE occasions when the RTH failed to activate when I was in flight and the app crashed: once when I was doing a Point of Interest flight (RTH did not kick in when the app crashed and controller lost connection as a result), and twice more during manual flight when the app "grey screened" on me, lost connection with the aircraft, the aircraft didn't go anywhere, but RTH did not kick in, even though it was specified in the app to work and operate and the position had been confirmed as recorded too. So, somethong fishy there.
Crashing of the app does not trigger RTH, as far as I know. It is loss of control signal (not video signal) that triggers RTH, and it takes a good number of seconds before RTH initiates once the control signal is lost.

I've had many app crashes but unlike you, I never had one that caused loss of control signal. I'm not familiar with how that could happen. Of course, if the bird isn't in sight, loss of video signal can leave you flying blind.

Bigbells,

You are correct. The app crashing does NOT trigger the RTH function. Nor does loss of the video signal.

AD

So just what happens when "the signal went completely" and you hit RTL (RTH?).

How does the drone GET that signal you just sent out, you know, the one that "went completely".

Did your "M8" understand the logic of the RTH function?

AD

Wow! Patronizing or what?? I never hit anything, Return to Launch = RTH, same thing, perhaps you've have never flown anything other than a DJI product? Its an Arducopter term btw.

Well in case you have missed it (its in the thread title duh!), and nice and 'simples' just for you, it was the app that lost the video signal. the app is the issue. You can still communicate using the RC, the RC is still communicating, but you cant "see" anything? You must have fantastic eyesight or you don't fly any further than the tip of your nose. RTL / RTH was initiated because my "M8" (in patronizing capitals and exclamation quotes, just for "YOU") couldn't see how the P4 was orientated as it was further away than the tip of his nose!! :D

Oh and on another note, I personally detest the use of the term 'drone', its a quadcopter, multirotor or an UAV. P4, bird and craft are also acceptable, but that's just me lol :D

Last edited:
DJI has long established that they do not react quickly or efficiently to problems. The silence is not suspicious, it's business as usual. Unacceptable as it might be, a lot of us keep buying DJI products.

A DJI bird that loses contact with the control signal will Return To Home without the need for the operator to activate Return To Home, assuming that is the behavior that has been pre-programmed by the operator in the event of signal loss. If operator-activated RTH causes the aircraft to return to home, then by definition there is still signal contact with the aircraft. The aircraft can't respond to a signal if it can't receive a signal, and operator-activated RTH is a signal.

On a tangentially related subject, I was able to use DJI Go 4 on my Galaxy Amp 2 phone this morning without experiencing any problems. The Amp 2 isn't even on the list of devices that DJI says will work. It's beyond me why my Amp 2 connects just fine to DJI Go 4 but my Google Nexus 7 II does not. Both devices have the same OS. I do expect that one of these days, there will suddenly be no more connection problems when using my Nexus 7. This may happen as the result of a future firmware update or it may happen for no apparent reason, possibly as a result of some tweak instituted by Android rather than any change by DJI.

Good post, but the signal from the RC to the craft was fine, it was the app that lost the signal, hence the app is crap comment :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers