DJI GEO Coming to Your P3 Soon

I feel lucky at the moment when i read how others have regulations, here nothing has happened in this regard and only been talked about, even then the cause of government muttering on drones had nothing to do with danger,
They have been bogged down by political problems with many protests, i lost count how many military coups,
They are still trying to carry on as they have for years refusing to accept the internet and social media has changed what they can do,
The talk on drone regulation only happened when drones were flying over protests and riots, a few drones were flying, eyes in the sky were a definite threat for the authorities.

Reactions: ParsnipHysorter
In an ideal world, no need for regulations...
This is not an ideal world, far from it.
You DO realize the danger a quadcopter of the quality of our Phantoms can represent in the hands of bad folks ?

Most helicopter pilots won't accept to do some foolish moves, like harassing wild animals or do dangerous acrobatics to frighten a client's girlfriend.
A quadcopter owner does not always have such disciplin, especially excited newbies without previous experience or knowledge.
As usual good folks pay for the acts of bad folks. Regulations WILL roughen. Just not the same way in all countries.

He specifically asked that our group not share too much because it wasn't finalized and they were still talking to the FAA but he said if anyone has further questions to contact him on his Facebook page:
Brendan Schulman.
1. Whether he thinks they can win a lawsuit versus being sued are two different things.
2. If DJI pulls off a stunt like that, they forget about the ultimate....loss of customers. Many will abandon them.
3. If DJI can pull off a stunt like this, what makes you think a very known hacker group couldn't make YOUR quad do what they want? Jeep just found that out.

Agreed.

The biggie coming down the road - mark my words - is a hard range limit. So some have said the FAA thinks you can see these things at a maximum range of 1,000 feet. So they will start with that -- max 1,000 feet from your RC, enforced by firmware. Then they will ratchet it down from there to 500 feet and finally 100 feet of you at most, then this hobby is dead.
....which makes me think either someone will exploit the software to get this back or DJi will dienjoy as a company. Why pay $1100 for a quad that a $100 quad will be capable of? Only thing that separates a P3 is lightbridge. Take that advantage away and what's left??

When the aggrivation out weighs the advantages.... it will no longer exist.
(Edit.... maybe DJI optimally has their sights set on bigger than us the consumer..... a govt contract.)

Agreed.

The biggie coming down the road - mark my words - is a hard range limit. So some have said the FAA thinks you can see these things at a maximum range of 1,000 feet. So they will start with that -- max 1,000 feet from your RC, enforced by firmware. Then they will ratchet it down from there to 500 feet and finally 100 feet of you at most, then this hobby is dead.
If it's limited to firmware, there will always be firmware "fixes" if wanted. Always have been, always will be.

If it's limited to firmware, there will always be firmware "fixes" if wanted. Always have been, always will be.
True enough. I sure would love to get my nerdy fingers on the P3 firmware source code... Maybe a kind "leaker" in DJI will post it for us someday? Anonymously, of course.

True enough. I sure would love to get my nerdy fingers on the P3 firmware source code... Maybe a kind "leaker" in DJI will post it for us someday? Anonymously, of course.
There was one such friend back in June or July, if I remember correctly. You could PM him for it, he had recompiled it or something or other. I think it was the hack for the hard altitude limit, but not sure. But I can't remember who it was.

I'm sorry but "some guy on FB" does not sound like an authoritative source. What did this mystery FB person suggest would trigger this code to activate?
It will be triggered via the Go App and once is on you won't be able to get out of it... But like you said.. Some guy on FB doesn't sound like a trusted source unless this guy was working closely with DJI.... Mmmnn

It will be triggered via the Go App and once is on you won't be able to get out of it... But like you said.. Some guy on FB doesn't sound like a trusted source unless this guy was working closely with DJI.... Mmmnn
Makes sense they could do it that way, but as discussed earlier if you didn't want this to happen you could keep your device disconnected from the internet whenever you run the DJI GO App so it couldn't receive whatever command that would begin the process.

Not long ago (about a week) I received an email to beta test for DJI ... the email did say something about GEO fence. I deleted it

I'm amazed that no one has reverse engineered the firmware. Once they do - and somebody must, surely - there will be chaos/we will have our hobby back (take your pick).

Dear sir,

DJI is looking for 200 Phantom 3 owners and 80 Inspire 1 owners in Europe and the US to help test a new firmware update from Dec 30. In this beta project, you will get to use our unreleased firmware and help improve it through your feedback.

You will get to:

• Test our latest Geo-fencing feature and gain firsthand knowledge on changes to No Fly Zones in your neighborhood.
  • Interact with our developers by reporting bugs, suggesting new features, completing journals, and discussing in beta forums.
  • Participate in fun and rewarding assignments.
As a token of appreciation for your time and thoughtful participation, you will be rewarded with DJI Credits which can be used for purchases on the official DJI Online Store.

Please visit AirMap.io to make sure if the area that you locate falls within the Geo-fencing project (The airmap website only contains GEO data of USA; For users in Europe, please feel free to participate if you're located in any large/medium-sized city). If you are interested, please visit dji.centercode.com and apply for the opportunity.

Before you apply, please make sure that you have enough time for firmware testing and bug reports.

We look forward to seeing you!

Best Regards

DJI Beta Team

There is a work around, if it thinks it's inside it will fly. We are flying our drones at an airport next week (in Canada) Obviously we have all the permissions, documents from all parties which is a lot of work. Since we have dji drones (which we are getting away from because of the no fly zones) getting anywhere with dji for an override has not gotten us anywhere, so we found a solution, make it think it's inside. So far it has worked.

Ha Ha my country is all over with red color.... That is mean i canot fly anyware.... Very nice thanks DJI nice job
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1451680538.289380.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1451680548.975356.jpg

Take the time to read what they have posted with explanation. I think you set up your profile with credit card info and request time to fly such as 3 days? This must be a way to get around privacy laws?

I posted this over on RC Groups (Official DJI GEO System - News, Public Beta and information - RC Groups) :

This is Big Brother. This was advertised as giving control back to the pilot. It seems rather the pilot is relinquishing control to a server that logs all their activity. If the pilot were actually regaining control, they would be able to override these limitations without an internet connection or a credit card.

How can we be sure that locations are properly categorized? The DJI NFZ database had 1,000s of inconsistencies in it including comical ones like Miggs Field, an airport that closed in 2003.

When do we get to see the definitive and final criteria for each category? All we have are nebulous examples. What is the protocol for making changes to the categories? DJI has a history of moving the goal posts without warning. Should we expect different here? Will updates be announced well in advance including details of all additions, changes and removals so people don't get caught by surprise?

The FAQ leaves the door wide open with respect to privacy. All third parties need to be named. All conditions of release need to be identified. Security standards need to be adhered to. Audits need to be done and published.

Am I forced to find internet every 3 days if there are changes to my shoot plans? Am I forced to get re-authorized for every day I shoot in the same location? Do I really need to list out each and every location? This seems onerous and burdensome. The net nanny must be consulted for each flight.

Where are these authorizations held? In my device? Can they be transferred to another device? Are they tied to the specific drone? What if we use the same device with multiple drones? What if the same drone is used by multiple operators each with their own devices? If I have two drones (one for backup) do I have to get authorizations in duplicate?

If a valid credit card is provided, can an authorization be turned down? Under what circumstances? Can someone become blacklisted? Does DJI intend to use this or similar functionality to render drones inoperable in all areas?

What happens when the authorization servers crash? What SLAs are offered? Scheduled shoots and impromptu changes could be laid to waste if the service isn't available. That means the equipment can't be relied upon for critical shoots without assurances of availability.

Again, if this was really giving control back to the pilot, there would be no way a remote server would be allowed to have final say in where the pilot can fly.

I posted this over on RC Groups (Official DJI GEO System - News, Public Beta and information - RC Groups) :

This is Big Brother. This was advertised as giving control back to the pilot. It seems rather the pilot is relinquishing control to a server that logs all their activity. If the pilot were actually regaining control, they would be able to override these limitations without an internet connection or a credit card.

How can we be sure that locations are properly categorized? The DJI NFZ database had 1,000s of inconsistencies in it including comical ones like Miggs Field, an airport that closed in 2003.

When do we get to see the definitive and final criteria for each category? All we have are nebulous examples. What is the protocol for making changes to the categories? DJI has a history of moving the goal posts without warning. Should we expect different here? Will updates be announced well in advance including details of all additions, changes and removals so people don't get caught by surprise?

The FAQ leaves the door wide open with respect to privacy. All third parties need to be named. All conditions of release need to be identified. Security standards need to be adhered to. Audits need to be done and published.

Am I forced to find internet every 3 days if there are changes to my shoot plans? Am I forced to get re-authorized for every day I shoot in the same location? Do I really need to list out each and every location? This seems onerous and burdensome. The net nanny must be consulted for each flight.

Where are these authorizations held? In my device? Can they be transferred to another device? Are they tied to the specific drone? What if we use the same device with multiple drones? What if the same drone is used by multiple operators each with their own devices? If I have two drones (one for backup) do I have to get authorizations in duplicate?

If a valid credit card is provided, can an authorization be turned down? Under what circumstances? Can someone become blacklisted? Does DJI intend to use this or similar functionality to render drones inoperable in all areas?

What happens when the authorization servers crash? What SLAs are offered? Scheduled shoots and impromptu changes could be laid to waste if the service isn't available. That means the equipment can't be relied upon for critical shoots without assurances of availability.

Again, if this was really giving control back to the pilot, there would be no way a remote server would be allowed to have final say in where the pilot can fly.
Thanks for the link!
I have always trusted a lawyer

I thought, NZ being on the arse-end of the world, that we would be fairly immune but I see with horror that their yellow is all over the country - and worst of all doesn't match the official NFZs and LFZs. In some cases official NFZs are absent or have been randomly moved north by a few tens of kilometres. Where on earth do DJI get their information?
Sadly, being located in China, accountability will be zero.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl