DJI FW-related service experience

Reaction score
I’d like to describe my recent experience with DJI’s customer service department, adding to other reports available on various sites. I am posting to make fellow users aware of DJI business practices and to get it off my chest, I guess.

My DJI Phantom 3 Advanced functioned without problems until a day after the last flight, I was prompted by the DJI App to update firmware on both aircraft and the controller. I had updated firmware a number of times before, so this wasn’t anything new to me. The update on the drone seemed to go well with the expected sequence of beeps indicating completion. The text file on the microSD card indicated that it already had the latest firmware. This begs the question why I would be prompted to update FW if it’s already up to date but it gets worse from here. After I updated the FW on the RC, it completely lost connection with my tablet and with the aircraft. I followed protocols on the forum sites and recommended by DJI customer service chat with the goal to recover the RC to no avail. In the end, the DJI chat customer support person told me to send in both aircraft and RC.

A week later I get a repair quote of $289, later reduced to $245. The repairs call for a replacement of a Video Downlink Module V14 and a Phantom 3 Advanced Gimbal Video Downlink Main Board V10. I have no idea if those parts are in the aircraft or the RC.

I challenged the charges by contacting customer support, escalating to a “manager”. Customer service agents on the phone appeared ill informed and unable to provide any response other than telling me that the drone is out of warranty and therefore repairs would not be covered.

Of course, it is difficult to prove a causal relationship between the firmware update and the malfunction but the likelihood of a coincidence; i.e. the drone spontaneously breaking while a DJI mandated FW is being installed seems far-fetched to me. The manager speculated that the drone must have already been defective and that the FW update just brought that defect to light. This explanation appears implausible to me.

Needless to say, I am disappointed and angry. I am generally not a conspiracy theorist but it would be a pretty interesting business model to force customers to install faulty FW and then charge them to fix the damage. Analogous to the ransomware attacks, I guess. If you google the topic, you’ll find a class action lawsuit against DJI in early 2017 alleging exactly that. I am not a big fan of litigation and I don’t know the fate of that specific law suit. I suspect that indifference and incompetence are a lot more likely than a nefarious conspiracy but take your pick.

I was planning to purchase the Mavic Air or the rumored Mavic 2 to get a more portable drone option but I will not hand my money to a company that does not respect its customers and engages in these dubious business practices.

Any suggestions?

I’d like to describe my recent experience with DJI’s customer service department, adding to other reports available on various sites. I am posting to make fellow users aware of DJI business practices and to get it off my chest, I guess.

My DJI Phantom 3 Advanced functioned without problems until a day after the last flight, I was prompted by the DJI App to update firmware on both aircraft and the controller. I had updated firmware a number of times before, so this wasn’t anything new to me. The update on the drone seemed to go well with the expected sequence of beeps indicating completion. The text file on the microSD card indicated that it already had the latest firmware. This begs the question why I would be prompted to update FW if it’s already up to date but it gets worse from here. After I updated the FW on the RC, it completely lost connection with my tablet and with the aircraft. I followed protocols on the forum sites and recommended by DJI customer service chat with the goal to recover the RC to no avail. In the end, the DJI chat customer support person told me to send in both aircraft and RC.

A week later I get a repair quote of $289, later reduced to $245. The repairs call for a replacement of a Video Downlink Module V14 and a Phantom 3 Advanced Gimbal Video Downlink Main Board V10. I have no idea if those parts are in the aircraft or the RC.

I challenged the charges by contacting customer support, escalating to a “manager”. Customer service agents on the phone appeared ill informed and unable to provide any response other than telling me that the drone is out of warranty and therefore repairs would not be covered.

Of course, it is difficult to prove a causal relationship between the firmware update and the malfunction but the likelihood of a coincidence; i.e. the drone spontaneously breaking while a DJI mandated FW is being installed seems far-fetched to me. The manager speculated that the drone must have already been defective and that the FW update just brought that defect to light. This explanation appears implausible to me.

Needless to say, I am disappointed and angry. I am generally not a conspiracy theorist but it would be a pretty interesting business model to force customers to install faulty FW and then charge them to fix the damage. Analogous to the ransomware attacks, I guess. If you google the topic, you’ll find a class action lawsuit against DJI in early 2017 alleging exactly that. I am not a big fan of litigation and I don’t know the fate of that specific law suit. I suspect that indifference and incompetence are a lot more likely than a nefarious conspiracy but take your pick.

I was planning to purchase the Mavic Air or the rumored Mavic 2 to get a more portable drone option but I will not hand my money to a company that does not respect its customers and engages in these dubious business practices.

Any suggestions?
Just like any piece of electronics you can only flash a new firmware to it so many times before something gets fried. Doesn’t matter if it is a drone or if you are flashing a tune to a Subaru wrx or to a canon camera. Pretty much, if you are not having problems with your drone do not throw a new firmware on it unless it is going to drastically make it better in some way. Unfortunately some insurance companies do not see it that way like mine and will not cover you unless you stay up to date. Yes the firmware fried your drone,probably not intentionally tho. I had the same thing happen to an inspire with the firmware frying the ncore. Now if you see it happening to a bunch of them then it is something that was done intentionally in The firmware.

Just like any piece of electronics you can only flash a new firmware to it so many times before something gets fried. Doesn’t matter if it is a drone or if you are flashing a tune to a Subaru wrx or to a canon camera. Pretty much, if you are not having problems with your drone do not throw a new firmware on it unless it is going to drastically make it better in some way. Unfortunately some insurance companies do not see it that way like mine and will not cover you unless you stay up to date. Yes the firmware fried your drone,probably not intentionally tho. I had the same thing happen to an inspire with the firmware frying the ncore. Now if you see it happening to a bunch of them then it is something that was done intentionally in The firmware.

Thanks, Scooby! If I remember correctly, I did not have a choice. The message on DJI Go said "Firmware update required". I realize that flash memory has a limited lifespan but I don't think I updated more than 4 times. SSD memory should last a lot longer. I never had a CF or SD card go bad after formatting it easily more than 100x. Similar durability should apply to built-in memory, I would presume. I agree that it's probably not intentional but there is no incentive for DJI to exhaustive test a new FW release if they profit from a flawed one.

Thanks, Scooby! If I remember correctly, I did not have a choice. The message on DJI Go said "Firmware update required". I realize that flash memory has a limited lifespan but I don't think I updated more than 4 times. SSD memory should last a lot longer. I never had a CF or SD card go bad after formatting it easily more than 100x. Similar durability should apply to built-in memory, I would presume. I agree that it's probably not intentional but there is no incentive for DJI to exhaustive test a new FW release if they profit from a flawed one.
And that is another reason why I do not use go or go4 on a regular basis. I use autopilot or litchi. I’ve never come across it before where it would not let you fly unless you updated but I still do not use them because they are bloated to say the least. You would think they would last longer and be able to be flashed a bunch of times but dji doesn’t use the top components in their drones either. Same reason people do not buy lipos from China,same reason why people try to keep away from sd cards made in China. Same reason why you would buy a car amp from Korea before you would buy one from China. The quality of Chinese electronics isn’t the best and never has been. It would be nice if they would use the best of the best but if they did that 800 dollar drone would be 3000 now.

Just like any piece of electronics you can only flash a new firmware to it so many times before something gets fried. Doesn’t matter if it is a drone or if you are flashing a tune to a Subaru wrx or to a canon camera.
Old-skool NVRAM should be good for many thousands of write cycles.

And that is another reason why I do not use go or go4 on a regular basis. I use autopilot or litchi. I’ve never come across it before where it would not let you fly unless you updated but I still do not use them because they are bloated to say the least. You would think they would last longer and be able to be flashed a bunch of times but dji doesn’t use the top components in their drones either. Same reason people do not buy lipos from China,same reason why people try to keep away from sd cards made in China. Same reason why you would buy a car amp from Korea before you would buy one from China. The quality of Chinese electronics isn’t the best and never has been. It would be nice if they would use the best of the best but if they did that 800 dollar drone would be 3000 now.

I need to look into Litchi. Do you need to change anything on the drone or the RC or can you use the Litchi app straight out of the box? If things work, I don't see the purpose of constant FW updates.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4