DIY sun hoods...had to share...

Reaction score
Hey guys, I thought this was pretty cool. Enjoy.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: rusticroad
You should use a little higher quality cardboard, and then make some and sell them. I don't have the patience to make something like that, but I am sure people would buy them. Just a suggestion, but they look real good. I have a crystal sky and use shade or cover most of the time when I am flying and not using the crystal sky, but I do know how much of a pain it is to see the tablet in the sun. Again, you look like you know how to do it. Price them right, maybe sell them 2-3 in a package. I bet you could earn some money in the process. Great video!! I kind of just realized you may or may not be the person in the video. LOL. My suggestion still stands.

UPDATE.....So i should have just kept it simple. The video suggest just using poster board or something similar. Me trying to be fancy went to a local craft store, bought some thicker poster board and rushed home to make it. I also bought some velcro so i'd be able to break it down once done. I spent about $9. Right away i thought "is this even worth it?" I've seen some cheap ones for my ipad mini online for about $10. Junk maybe but works im sure. Still, i proceeded. What I found out was i should have just stuck with the $1 poster board. The one i bought looks good except it doesnt break down enough to store away in my case. Its just too thick. I was hoping to find something in between poster board and what I ended up buying but no luck. Lesson learned i guess. Still was a fun little project. I think I'll just spend the $10 or $15 for one that breaks down the way i need.

Love it well done thanks for the video..Perhaps instead of sticky tape or paper clips, how about a small piece of velcro??? easy to break down then Just a thought..

Thanks stay safe Len

Last edited:
Reactions: ron-ep
Love it well done thanks for the video..Perhaps instead of sticky tape or paper clips, how about a small piece of velcro??? easy to break down then Just a thought..

Thanks stay safe Len
I made one very like this a year ago, but used a Kmart plastic A4 document folder as material, & sprayed it matte black.Much lighter than the bought one I had been using.

Reactions: Lenj and ron-ep
You have a great idea,I made one for my brother,only I made it from Wal-Mart foam board,! Make your marks the same on the foam board using a pencil ( it show's up better on the black foam board.) Now here's the catch,make your cuts with an ex-acto knife,being very careful cut thru the first layer of paper and foam,but don't cut all the way thru.Now fold the cut open and on the other part of the foam board. Now the cut you just opened cut a 45 angle on each side of the cut this will make a 90 dg fold. I you have have trouble with my instructions go to flite test.com and watch how they make there cuts They also make R/C planes from the foam board!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic