DIY Antenna Booster for Phantom 3

I got my friend to 3D print for me one in hot red!

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1442456330.574178.jpg

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1442456352.325619.jpg

However he said that the material that he used doesn't seem to give the booster rigidity, and it could be quite fragile. He has already printed another one for me using materials of better quality.

Can't wait to smack some aluminium foil on it and test it out soon!

Reactions: david wettlaufer
I also ordered the windsurfer and it is fantastic. Where I live in Florida, it is flat but there are trees everywhere with an almost unbroken 80 - 100 ft canopy everywhere. I fly from a park near my house so I can see about 1200 ft but after that, my P3P is obscured by the tree line. Before the windsurfer, I got about 3/4 mile if I held 400 ft. After, I was able to go almost 2 miles at 250 ft, maneuver down at 125 ft at 1 1/3 miles and at 1 1/4 miles drop down to 50 feet and maneuver around a pond with good connectivity, at this perspective flying only by map and fpv because I'm am well below the treeline. I leave mine on most of the time, even for shorter flight, just because it is easier than taking it off and putting it back on.

Did you happen to notice the warning message at 142 mark in the video? It explained the aircraft would begin changing altitude per the RTH height settings. However, it was only active briefly. I'm guessing it came on just from pointing the R/C at the ground or away for a split second. I personally didn't see the aircraft descend any until the battery warning at the end of the flight.

Your icon graph only showed a reception loss on the video side. I agree with David had you been up at least closer to 500ft you would have had more left in the tank. But the battery issue would have came into play more so which we don't want that to happen.

Something you might not know is, the wind is more constant and stronger at high altitudes. If you are in a situation on the return flight that you are flying into the wind in any way, you might consider lowering the altitude down as you fly back. The wind may have gust but it will also have pockets of steady air that you wont have to fight against. That alone will help increase flight time with the battery.

Hi Frank, thanks for looking at my flight. That warning is the "Go Home power limit reached" warning saying it will initiate RTH in 8 seconds. Since I was flying into a headwind and am not so conservative I clicked Cancel and RTH did not get initiated. That should not have affected height at all and as you say, at that time it didn't descend.

Since that flight, I've upgraded to FW 1.4.0010 and 2.1 Go App (and cold IMU calibration). I flew at the same place today but in better conditions - basically no wind at all. It didn't work as well. I was losing signal around 16k' and ended up turning back at 17,700'. Everything else seems ok with the new setup and I like POI. I am now tracking landing height and of the 7 flights I did today, 3 were 5' and the others were 15-22'. Not so bad. Have to do more testing before I am sure about the range being not as good though.

Last edited:
Hi Frank, thanks for looking at my flight. That warning is the "Go Home power limit reached" warning saying it will initiate RTH in 8 seconds. Since I was flying into a headwind and am not so conservative I clicked Cancel and RTH did not get initiated. That should not have affected height at all and as you say, at that time it didn't descend.

Since that flight, I've upgraded to FW 1.4.0010 and 2.1 Go App (and cold IMU calibration). I flew at the same place today but in better conditions - basically no wind at all. It didn't work as well. I was losing signal around 16k' and ended up turning back at 17,700'. Everything else seems ok with the new setup and I like POI. I am now tracking landing height and of the 7 flights I did today, 3 were 5' and the others were 15-22'. Not so bad. Have to do more testing before I am sure about the range being not as good though.

If you add the 32 mod you should be ok. Otherwise I do think it could be less distance involved with this firmware version.

Was the 17,700 round trip distance, or one way?

I've been using Dave's Windsurfer for a few weeks now. The signal is surely improved as I have noticed that it penetrates foliage better and the distance is improved. I don't fly extreme long ranges, but the confidence I have with these attached is greater than I had with stock. Some of the best bang for the buck I've spent on this hobby so far.

If you add the 32 mod you should be ok. Otherwise I do think it could be less distance involved with this firmware version.

Was the 17,700 round trip distance, or one way?

That was one-way. Previously there I have done a couple of flights over 20,000' one way in worse wind conditions and at lower altitude so it was disappointing.

I can't decide which of David's models to order. The best I can tell they all have about the same performance. I watched the video and am leaning toward the first one he shows. Which do you prefer?

I can't decide which of David's models to order. The best I can tell they all have about the same performance. I watched the video and am leaning toward the first one he shows. Which do you prefer?
I'm content with the first model. Love that it's a single piece with fixed alignment. Also like the small indentation in back to hold the cable.

Just ordered one from David's site.
This looks like a great product, way less scary the the DBS mod.
Can't wait to post a review after I try it out.
- I went with the 1 piece revised (slightly shorter) model based on the video showing that it allowed greater movement of the antenna angle.

Thanks guys! I'm convinced the one piece is the way to go, but am still considering the shorter version since it allows for greater movement. Any disadvantage to it over the original?

I'm not a distance flyer and this is actually my 2nd flight that would be related to distance. I flew the flight to put something together to test some new dashware gauge settings.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor