DIY Antenna Booster for Phantom 3

Personally, I prefer slight "V" (<20 degrees vs. vertical) antenna setup to keep antennas slightly apart for lowering interference and improving diversity gain.

They're not diverse on the controller.
One is Tx the other is Rx.

Only the quad utilizes OFDM and MIMO for the LB downlink.

They're not diverse on the controller.
One is Tx the other is Rx.

Only the quad utilizes OFDM and MIMO for the LB downlink.
If the RC is one TX and one RX, then it's easy to break the wireless connection if we put a 50 ohm terminator on either of the 2 MMCX connector on the RC. Moreover, if we add a reflector on either antenna, it wouldn't help to boost the range much but that seems not the case.

I believe RC is also MIMO. DJI wouldn't be that stupid to put MIMO on the quad alone, and leave the RC on SISO. Otherwise, it would sacrifice most of MIMO benefits IMHO.

Reactions: BenDronePilot
I can see how this would increase your range with LOS flight. But would it hinder your range were you to fly behind objects (trees, buildings, etc.)? Wondering, since it seems like this would be a more directional setup.

I'm sorry we won't agree PVFlyer.
That's OK. I'm not on a mission to convince everyone but hopefully others will be curious and investigate for themselves.

The truth lies in the FB marketing you quoted previously (i.e. MIMO downlink, etc.) as well as the FCC required testing data and Grant info. which can be found on the FCC site.

The P3 P&A are clearly identified as MIMO type devices in their FCC Grants while the hand-held controller is not.

Maybe someone more familiar with LB can chime in in the future and add something to help clear this up since I am not successful.

David,

Any chance you would share the .stl file so members with a 3D printer could print their own?

This mod is awesome and I would really love to print one out!

Thanks!

Jovack

All four antennas transmit as the FCC test data confirms this but I can't confirm they all receive as well.
The testing only incorporates radiation.

The FCC document for the remote controller testing is: https://fccid.io/document.php?id=2535091

On page 7 it states:
Antenna Connector Construction
The EUT has an integral dipole antenna arrangement for transmitting, the antenna gain is 3.5dBi @ 2.4G Band, and another antenna only for receiving, fulfill the requirement of the item. Please refer to the internal photos. Result: Compliance.

Unless the design changed after the FCC testing, one antenna transmits, and one receives. Does anyone interpret the FCC document differently?

Let me apologize ahead of time if I take a while to answer e-mails and messages as I'm in the process of moving quite a distance very suddenly within a 2 week window. I will continue to print, prep & ship items as I can, but please bare with me in this busy time. thank you for your patience and understanding

Sincerely,
Dave
Got mine yesterday-- thanks!

Reactions: david wettlaufer
If the RC is one TX and one RX, then it's easy to break the wireless connection if we put a 50 ohm terminator on either of the 2 MMCX connector on the RC. Moreover, if we add a reflector on either antenna, it wouldn't help to boost the range much but that seems not the case.

I believe RC is also MIMO. DJI wouldn't be that stupid to put MIMO on the quad alone, and leave the RC on SISO. Otherwise, it would sacrifice most of MIMO benefits IMHO.

Correct, both the Phantom and the Radio are MIMO. Both antennas Receive and Transmit.

David,

Any chance you would share the .stl file so members with a 3D printer could print their own?

This mod is awesome and I would really love to print one out!

Thanks!

Jovack

Now why would he want to do that? I'm sure he has plenty of time invested in creating the drawing on computer so he could profit by his hard work. Posting the file on the internet could and probably would severely take away potential profits from his wallet.

I know I wouldn't be willing to do that.....

Now why would he want to do that? I'm sure he has plenty of time invested in creating the drawing on computer so he could profit by his hard work. Posting the file on the internet could and probably would severely take away potential profits from his wallet.

I used to work with an engineer, his motto in life was "Knowledge is power"

Ironic that most of his knowledge was given to him by other people.

:rolleyes:

I used to work with an engineer, his motto in life was "Knowledge is power"

Ironic that most of his knowledge was given to him by other people.

:rolleyes:

Okay. So that means I give out knowledge to give someone else the potential probability of having more power than myself?

Ummm, no thanks.

It is very common for communities like this to share designs. Take a look at thingiverse.com, etc. It does not hurt to ask. I totally understand that he has time invested. I too have created/designed items that have been posted for all to use.

Now a request for the file by someone that wants to compete and print for sale would be another story.

At any rate, I have communicated with David and we are all set.

Thank you!

Okay. So that means I give out knowledge to give someone else the potential probability of having more power than myself?

Ummm, no thanks.

I have a different philosophy. It is a difference between engineers and scientists. Scientists believe the community as a whole benefits from the exchange of ideas and information. Engineers do not agree with that approach and if they don't know or can't get the information from a scientist, they simply approximate what they don't know with the equation for a sphere.

Lol

Ummm, no thanks.

It's not the recipe for coca-cola were dealing with here..lol If one were so inclined, they could look at the picture, pull out a pair of calipers, take some measurements off their TX and create their own stl in no time. We're not trying to nail Jello to a tree here. :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl