Distance Mods

Reaction score
Hello,
Been flying my Standard for about a month now. Have learned so much and enjoy reading about everyone's experiences, tips and suggestions. I will be mostly flying in a well populated area with many home routers and the such interfering with my signal ( a few times here and there in the country.) As I get farther along in my experience Im sure the temptation to modify my drone will get to me and I will try something. Being that I will most likely always be around many homes and businesses is there a mod that would be worth doing to increase my range in that situation. Im not looking for the big time distances that I read about on here, but it would be cool to get around a mile, currently the furthest I have gone stock is around 395 m before I lose video or becomes to choppy to use. DBS? ARGtek? putting the pro birdside antenna on the standard? Magic Power? Are the 4 that seems to be talked about the most. Would any of those do what I want or do I just stay happy with 395 in my very populated neighborhood?
Thanks

Last edited:
Hello,
Been flying my Standard for about a month now. Have learned so much and enjoy reading about everyone's experiences, tips and suggestions. I will be mostly flying in a well populated area with many home routers and the such interfering with my signal ( a few times here and there in the country.) As I get farther along in my experience Im sure the temptation to modify my drone will get to me and I will try something. Being that I will most likely always be around many homes and businesses is there a mod that would be worth doing to increase my range in that situation. Im not looking for the big time distances that I read about on here, but it would be cool to get around a mile, currently the furthest I have gone stock is around 450 m before I lose video or becomes to choppy to use. DBS? ARGtek? putting the pro birdside antenna on the standard? Magic Power? Are the 4 that seems to be talked about the most. Would any of those do what I want or do I just stay happy with 450 in my very populated neighborhood?
Thanks

I'm evaluating first with the Tozo antenna's or windsurfers slip on will do. Invest about $20 and if those produce a greater distance then I know the powered antenna's from MAX UAV should really put it out there. At that time I'll just send my contoller in to have it modded.

Oh yeah, sorry I forgot to mention I do have a windsurfer. I need to take it off and run a couple flights to see how much it is giving me. That is what I have used to get to my 395m distance

DBS antenna is worth a look. I can get out 4000 feet over homes and city. 10,000 feet easily in open area.

Add boosters to that and I hear you can fly to China.. lol

Reactions: Kmb
It is worth the investment if you are feeling closed in with the stock range..... (You can open a BIG door).

DBS antenna is worth a look. I can get out 4000 feet over homes and city. 10,000 feet easily in open area.

Add boosters to that and I hear you can fly to China.. lol
I know you are joking in this case,and not recommending it (so this comment is not directed at you). In general, please do not use boosters (active amplification) if you are flying in a busy area (like the OP). Using a booster means creating interference for all the people below your P3S. Our hobby has enough problems already

Better antennas, good. Boosters, bad (in urban areas, if you fly in the wilderness it doesn't matter). In many countries local regulations also require line of sight,and it's hard for anyone to claim that you can still tell the orientation of your P3S when you are >350m away

I know you are joking in this case,and not recommending it (so this comment is not directed at you). In general, please do not use boosters (active amplification) if you are flying in a busy area (like the OP). Using a booster means creating interference for all the people below your P3S. Our hobby has enough problems already

Better antennas, good. Boosters, bad (in urban areas, if you fly in the wilderness it doesn't matter). In many countries local regulations also require line of sight,and it's hard for anyone to claim that you can still tell the orientation of your P3S when you are >350m away
You must be kidding. Have you thought this through. Don't knock amplflication or mods unless you have a better answer. This type of activity is NOT of a dark nature. You need to self educate on this matter.

Reactions: WilliamM
Agreed, some people don't have enough sense to proceed in this path sensibly. However... Modding with antennas and boosters (amps) is in itself NOT a bad thing. If you have the presence to go down this road, you can increase the safety and performance of the drone. I use both max performance antennas and boosters with no bad impact on "mankind". Please don't inhibit others from advancing this technology of next level fun.

Highly recommend the DBS and have them on 3 of my TX's.
And in the right places with no noise it will take you as far as your battery will let you go .
I have tryed almost all of the other options over the past 3
years and have found the panel works the best for me.
Now as far as the op..I don't recommend flying any distances
In your type of environment.

"You must be kidding. Have you thought this through. Don't knock amplflication or mods unless you have a better answer. This type of activity is NOT of a dark nature. You need to self educate on this matter."

In fact there are areas that RF activity is monitored. Pal of mine with boosted 5.8 FPV was 'tapped' on the shoulder after being identified as the source of boosted power. It disrupted a local Port Terminals comms links. So it is not the free for all you seem to to imply. Luckily the guy who spoke to Vilnis was friendly and didn't take it further - but it could have led to serious fines etc. if it had been another ...

I am in process of boosting my set - but will not be powering it up near there !!

Nigel

Not all of us live in a police state. However, all of us need to police the "State". Tap back.......

Interfering with "Needed comms" is not needed or wanted, but some institutions are overly strict. Use common sense and a mind to not be a issue. This tech can be used "freely" with no bothersome problems.

I was just illustrating that it is not the free for all some think it is. And it does not need a Police State either.

I have boosted WiFi so I can sit on my boat down on my moorings at bottom of garden and still have connection ... but its a clean fully setup retail package. I do not say that all DIY drone boosting is poor - far from it - but there will be those that do not take the care with it.

Nigel

Reactions: GrammatonxXXxCleric
I was just illustrating that it is not the free for all some think it is. And it does not need a Police State either.

I have boosted WiFi so I can sit on my boat down on my moorings at bottom of garden and still have connection ... but its a clean fully setup retail package. I do not say that all DIY drone boosting is poor - far from it - but there will be those that do not take the care with it.

Nigel
Agreed there are those who do not deserve these benefits. BUT, the police state as it is, needs to know there are those who would not interfere with needed functions . If you've had interaction, you know this is true. It IS free for us who stand for true and just actions. We do not need a police state, but it is rearing it's head as the people that use this tech seem to think using the drone "willy nilly" is a-okkay.. Prove to them that us that deem law and order in a " right minded" way that we can operate these awesome tools while utilizing same with the extended parameters we love to push.

( and the original poster stood, not knowing the pandoras box he opened would elicit such responses)...

You must be kidding. Have you thought this through. Don't knock amplflication or mods unless you have a better answer. This type of activity is NOT of a dark nature. You need to self educate on this matter.
Everywhere in the world wifi signals are regulated. Max power is part of the regulation. Using a booster (most of them the cheap kind with lots of harmonics) is not a good thing in urban areas (which is what I'm commenting about). I do understand radio signals pretty well (having started building radios in the 70s and installing wifi networks since 1998, pre 802.11b ratification), and a wifi booster is potentially problematic, especially when positioned in a flying drone over urban areas

You seem to live in the USA, FCC rules are pretty clear wrt wifi boosters (unless you have an FCC license, in which case you might or might not be in compliance). Using a booster puts you out of FCC compliance as a non FCC licensed operator

Antenna mods are completely different (and not an issue)

Yeah, you guys are way beyond me at this point!! lol, I will just take my ball ah drone and go home.
It's just me... you are ok... They ddnt like my rant.. Drones are fun. we fly... 50 ft. (waves at the policeman)...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT