Distance and height-Personal best

Reaction score
Pretty excited right now, I went out into rural South Dakota and tried the furthest and highest the beast will give...

Take a look, 2247.9 feet away and
image.jpg

2111.0 feet high. All on one battery charge, direct line of sight (couldn't see sh!t, but no obstacles). Lost control a few times, but regained shortly after notifications. Then kept on going. Each time had auto return home bring it back. At the end I was under 20% battery, but it kept going, safe and sound back. I didnt record any of it to save battery power. But I am not sure if there is a huge difference between running with gimbal on but not recording and gimbal on with recording. I could have turned the gimbal/camera off, but wasn't thinking.

image.jpg

Pretty amazed right now. No mods, besides the CNC milled China gimbal. Oh, and the new Tx with the scroll wheel..

Let's see other's personal bests for comparison.

Later all.

Reactions: dirkclod
Very irresponsible on the max height test. Rural area or not, exceeding 400ft altitude puts you into the potential airspace of small aircraft.

Very irresponsible on the max height test. Rural area or not, exceeding 400ft altitude puts you into the potential airspace of small aircraft.
Yeah, I guess you're right.

Still cool tho...;)

EDIT

To my defense, North Dakota and South Dakota are the only two states without No Fly Zones. So, technically, I didnt break any laws. :D

Last edited:
Yeah, I guess you're right.

Still cool tho...;)

EDIT

To my defense, North Dakota and South Dakota are the only two states without No Fly Zones. So, technically, I didnt break any laws. :D
There are no laws to break if you are more than five miles from an airport. Even then it's just "notify ATC".

Reactions: Intruder101
Brilliant distance you got;) I went out 900ft & pooed my pants:D then bought it back.;) But I would love to go that little bit further, you know what it's like.;)

Good for you for not braking the law with your height, here in the UK we can only go 400ft but I know many people have gone higher:)

This begs the question 400 feet above what? Is it the highest peak in the area, the lowest valley? Am I in violation if I am 500' above the valley floor, but 300' above the hill the valley sits in?

Good question, who knows;)

Where I fly, no hills/valleys. So I have set my limit to 400ft & that's it, won't go any higher, don't want to peeeeeeee the CAA off but I can see your point.;)

I found this after the original post:
http://www.faa.gov/news/press_releases/news_story.cfm?newsId=18295
it's from February but still...

That is an interesting release, but it is for non-recreational flying. It also says 500' max altitude, but doesn't give a basis for zero. If it is 500' AGL at the point in space you are at, we will all need to get terrain following radar (which would be way cool). http://knowbeforeyoufly.org/for-recreational-users/ says "Fly no higher than 400 feet and remain below any surrounding obstacles when possible." Again, no basis for the zero point.

Good question, who knows;)

Where I fly, no hills/valleys. So I have set my limit to 400ft & that's it, won't go any higher, don't want to peeeeeeee the CAA off but I can see your point.;)
Where I fly, it isn't real flat. Elevation can vary 200' in the surrounding mile.

Where I fly, it isn't real flat. Elevation can vary 200' in the surrounding mile.

Surely it must mean ground level then, if I could fly a mile out would the phantom recognise the increased in land height I'm sure it would, would it?

Can anyone else comment on this:)

Surely it must mean ground level then, if I could fly a mile out would the phantom recognise the increased in land height I'm sure it would, would it?

Can anyone else comment on this:)
I took it pure horizontal across a hill. No altitude change was noted on the display. It is all relative to where you take off from.

I took it pure horizontal across a hill. No altitude change was noted on the display. It is all relative to where you take off from.

Hey KenW,

Well that proved my thoughts wrong...:( I really don't know then...

Can anyone else help out here:) any help would be much appreciated;)

I think this conversation "took a wrong turn in Albaquircy" i think the 101 wanted to talk #'s not ethics. Flyin straight up for alt test is diff than cruizing at that alt. now the #'s .
I got psv w/ re700 everything else stock it lets me go 2400-2600 ft most flights ( corn fields & tree lines. Re500 w/boost app 1900-2100 ft both 200 ft height .. P2v plus stock same flight area 2900-3200 ft

furthest Ive had mine out is around 900 feet as well, get a little paranoid not being able to spot it in the sky lol have had it up to 500 feet upwards
I know the feeling. I was pretty much frantic the entire time until I have heard the bird and finally laid eyes on it on it's way back, Some scary miuntes.

I believe the reason I was so "brave" was that my wife was right next to me, egging me on. And when she said: "what's the worst that can happen? It's l;ost and you buy yourself another one and know better then". That sealed the deal for me then. Howerever, still not a good feeling for most of the flight. Especially up.

I think this conversation "took a wrong turn in Albaquircy" i think the 101 wanted to talk #'s not ethics. Flyin straight up for alt test is diff than cruizing at that alt. now the #'s .
I got psv w/ re700 everything else stock it lets me go 2400-2600 ft most flights ( corn fields & tree lines. Re500 w/boost app 1900-2100 ft both 200 ft height .. P2v plus stock same flight area 2900-3200 ft

Hey DB,

You pretty much nailed it. But, some always will want to read between the lines and comment on the not so obvious. :rolleyes: If it really bothers them so much they should be able to comment on that, but the idea was to, like you mentioned, see other's capabilities...

Those are some impressive numbers. Kind of makes me want to upgrade something... :D

furthest Ive had mine out is around 900 feet as well, get a little paranoid not being able to spot it in the sky lol have had it up to 500 feet upwards

Right squid,

So we both have the 900ft under our belt;) competition time..... Let's see if we can go that little bit further:D

101 went 2247.9ft with only a upgrade tx, brilliant distance;)

Mine is all stock, no upgrades:(

And yours, upgrade tx & RE700
I'm not gonna stand a chance;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.