Discuss your P3's hovering stability

You are chatting with Phantom_Fay
Thank you for contacting DJI Technical Support.

Hello, thanks for contacting DJI. You can also reach us by:
E-mail to: [email protected]
Send an e-mail containing your name, phone number, location, product Serial Number, and brief description of your issue, and our service team will contact you as soon as possible. DJI regional offices during local working hours:
North America:
Call +1 (818) 235-0789, Mon-Fri 9:00am - 5:00pm PST, or e-mail [email protected]
EU Member Countries:
Call +49 (0) 9747-9304200, Mon-Fri 9:00am - 5:00pm Central Europe time, or e-mail [email protected]
Japan:
E-mail [email protected]
If you have any pre-sales questions about DJI products before you buy, please write to us at [email protected], and we will respond shortly.

Thank you!

DJI

20:33:24
Hello?

Hi

Anyone there?

How can I help?

I have a P3 Advanced

Quick question

20:34:36
Today when flying it I felt that it wasn't hovering as stable as it should

Is there anything I can do to make it more stable?

Did you fly outdoor or indoor?

I calibrated it before flying today and had like 17 satellites connected

Outdoors

20:36:53
make sure you have no disturb signal around
And they want us to read the directions? Wow.

For me it is a tale of three Phantoms.

Originally, I would rate my hovering stability as 10 out 10. Really just astounding is all I can say.

Following the infamous FW update, I would rate it 5 out of 10. This was before the VPS bug was confirmed and understood.

Currently I would rate it 8 out of 10. This is with VPS off. Still very impressive no doubt, but not the same as it was originally. No troubles while flying.

One important note. This is all at about 10 feet or below. Above that and all seems fine.

Last edited:
I've noticed that take off location seems to have a huge impact on my hover stability. A week ago, after doing a compass calibration, I took off about 100 yards from a large building, and had no issues. On my second flight around the same building, I tried taking off about 15 yards away, and my P3 began hovering erratically--oscillating over 10 feet, and at one point it seemed to orbit another point with a five foot radius. I managed to land it without incident, and tried three more times to take off after powering off and on, but had the same results. So I took it further from the building--maybe 40 yards, (still different side of the building than first flight), and it hovered just fine. I could fly it within 10 feet of the building and it would however just fine--though it started getting a little erratic with altitude hold when I flew it between two high rises. I assume that was from GPS signals bouncing around erratically--no matter how many satellites you've locked onto.

Later I took it out into the country, and it barely moved a six inches in any direction. I've noticed though that other flights out in the country--if there was any metal around--like my car or a guard rail, hover would wobble a foot or two. This only seems to effect take off location though. If I take off far away from my car, then fly close to it, it hovers perfectly--so, not sure why... but in my experience, take off location is very important--kind of like the importance of calibrating your compass in a metal free environment...
Metal buildings, chain link fences, power lines, cars, heavy equipment, building with a lot of metal or reinforced concrete-- all of this will definitely impact the stability of the Phantom and its ability to receive the transmitter signals from the RC controller. RC airplane model pilots stay away from all magnetic sources such as power lines for that very reason.

I have experienced the same stability issues mentioned here anytime there are metal objects in close proximity to the Phantom.

Just be wise and to stay away from all those things that could cause magnetic interference or interrupt the transmission and receiving of the rc signal .

depends on the day, sometime I get a foot, maybe 2 of variation, other days 2-3 inches. on windy days of course 2-3 feet is common and in my eyes acceptable.

The P3 is the most stable drone I have flown yet. No doubt there will be newer ones that make it look like it's a drunk on a slip'n'slide but it's pretty **** stable even compared to it's predecessor.

Try it with/without VPS and see if that changes anything.

Personally I've used each firmware and VPS on each time and everything works perfectly. I can literally be up and flying within 45 seconds of powering on the remote and drone. The P3 works perfectly one you learn how to use it.

There are times when the GPS in my Chevy Volt shows me driving in the SF Bay (in the water!}, while still 3 or 4 miles from the Bay Bridge. My P3A hovers 95% spot-on in moderate wind - amazing. Maybe the multiple sat. feeds?

There are times when the GPS in my Chevy Volt shows me driving in the SF Bay (in the water!}, while still 3 or 4 miles from the Bay Bridge. My P3A hovers 95% spot-on in moderate wind - amazing. Maybe the multiple sat. feeds?
All GPS devices use multiple satellites, some more than others.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl