Different props

Reaction score
Hi guys
New to drones and have recently bought a FC40
I've put a gopro camera on one of the Chinese gimbal but it seems to struggle a little so I was thinking if I put the props from a phantom 3on it would this help or would it cause an issue in stable flight its currently fitted with the 8540 props
Regards Baz

Hi Baz Greenwood,

Air screw alterations can cause major effects on performance, most of which are NOT good - from unstable flight to severe vibrations causing the GoPro and a plethora of other issues, like a lower pitch makes the motor reach maximum revs at slower aircraft speeds. Conversely, a higher pitch will deliver greater aircraft top speeds, but slower acceleration

Your current prop is a 8540 (that is 8.5 inches long and pitch of 40).

The Phantom 3 blade is a 9450 with a length is 9.4 inches with a pitch of 50.

That basically means the P3 blade would need to a have one inch of length removed, and that alone will play absolute havoc with the pitch, which on a quadcopter is not consistent along its length (the pitch varies during its length).

This is not to say the higher pitch of the P3 won't suit the FC40, but I'd be careful.

This may be helpful to you.

Regards

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply
That's the kinda thing I was thinking about it is a fairly exact science.
I don't want to plough it into the field but upon seeing the longer and more aggressive prop I did wonder if it would be suitible.
I have seen some posts of people using the props on the phantom one that are off the p3 to combat weight but nobody seems to come back and let the results be known.
Regards Baz

Hi guys
New to drones and have recently bought a FC40
I've put a gopro camera on one of the Chinese gimbal but it seems to struggle a little so I was thinking if I put the props from a phantom 3on it would this help or would it cause an issue in stable flight its currently fitted with the 8540 props
Regards Baz

Balance the living crap out of your props. It makes all the difference in the world with a rig like that. I started my company with a Phantom 1, DYS Gimbal and a pair of Hero cameras (3+ and 4). With the props meticulously balanced, I was able to shoot smooth footage that I could stabilize in post. The results made clients very happy and established my company in that market.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

By today's standards there's nothing miraculous about this video. But by early 2016 standards this was pretty darn good.

D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mattnn