Decided to strap my Gamin 910XT to the Phantom...

Reaction score
I normally use my 910XT for triathlons, but with it's barometric altimeter, I thought, what the hell...

According to the Garmin, the Phantom hit 528' and a top speed of 31mph. The numbers are a bit suspect however, You'll notice that at takeoff I was supposedly at 156' elevation, but later I landed at -6' elevation, so something is off with the Garmin.

Here's what the Garmin looks like strapped to the Phantom. I was going to put it on top, but then realized that's where the Naza's GPS would be and I didn't want to interfere.
viewimage.php

I've also decided that Course Lock mode is awesome, makes it very, very simple to fly the Phantom without fear of getting in trouble when you change the direction the nose is pointing and then having to reverse everything when flying it back to you. I turned off Course Lock for a half a second and realized in very short order that I'm not capable of flying the Phantom at those altitudes and that speed.

I also experienced a slight panic at 500' or so when I realized the wind was strong enough to push the Phantom off course regardless of my steering inputs. Needless to say, I bought it down very quickly. You'll also notice that at one point it looks like I land the Phantom. Yeah, that was me descending too rapidly and bouncing the Phantom off the thankfully spongy soccer field.

You can have a look at the data and even playback the flight here:
http://connect.garmin.com/player/279482931

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj