CrystalSky Ultra Bright flickering

Reaction score
Just received my CS UB today after months of waiting and unfortunately the screen flickers quite badly. It started after about an hour of use. Restored the unit to factory defaults, did not solve the issue. I don’t have a camera with a fast enough frame rate to capture the flickering on video. This has to be a hardware issue right? So disappointed...

Reactions: salgiambruno
Just received my CS UB today after months of waiting and unfortunately the screen flickers quite badly. It started after about an hour of use. Restored the unit to factory defaults, did not solve the issue. I don’t have a camera with a fast enough frame rate to capture the flickering on video. This has to be a hardware issue right? So disappointed...

I'm guessing those things heat up. Sounds like something went bad on you. Unfortunately, I think the consumers are the quality control for most DJI products.

For what it's worth, my ASUS Zenpad does quite nice in the sun with a sun shade, black shirt and wide floppy hat (not pictured here).

Reactions: salgiambruno

Smeeth,

I read your post last night and thought wow, it sucks that you are having problems when you just got your new CS UB. I felt very lucky because I also just received my new CS UB (from B&H) just yesterday and tested it that same evening with no problems.

Well, I'm sorry to report that all that has changed. Like you, after having run the display for about an hour this morning, the display started flickering very rapidly for a very brief period (about 5 seconds) and then the screen went dark. I can still see something (like a screen where a backlight has failed), so I know the computer is running, but nothing even remotely usable.

I noticed just before the screen failed that the unit was getting very warm. I also noticed that the battery level dropped to around 60% after less than an hour of use on "auto brightness" mode. So I turned the unit off and disconnected the battery, hoping that if I let the unit cool down and put it a fresh battery that it would come back to life. Unfortunately, that is not the case. The screen is almost completely dark even after the unit has cooled and using a fresh battery.

Extremely disappointed that a device that costs as much as my LG OLED flat screen TV could fail so quickly and is pushed out to market with very little documentation (i.e. installing 3rd party apps).

Let's keep this thread posted with updates . . . good luck.

Smeeth,

I read your post last night and thought wow, it sucks that you are having problems when you just got your new CS UB. I felt very lucky because I also just received my new CS UB (from B&H) just yesterday and tested it that same evening with no problems.

Well, I'm sorry to report that all that has changed. Like you, after having run the display for about an hour this morning, the display started flickering very rapidly for a very brief period (about 5 seconds) and then the screen went dark. I can still see something (like a screen where a backlight has failed), so I know the computer is running, but nothing even remotely usable.

I noticed just before the screen failed that the unit was getting very warm. I also noticed that the battery level dropped to around 60% after less than an hour of use on "auto brightness" mode. So I turned the unit off and disconnected the battery, hoping that if I let the unit cool down and put it a fresh battery that it would come back to life. Unfortunately, that is not the case. The screen is almost completely dark even after the unit has cooled and using a fresh battery.

Extremely disappointed that a device that costs as much as my LG OLED flat screen TV could fail so quickly and is pushed out to market with very little documentation (i.e. installing 3rd party apps).

Let's keep this thread posted with updates . . . good luck.

Oh man, that really sucks. Based on what I'm seeing on DJI forums, your issue appears to be somewhat common. I wonder if mine is on the cusp of the same thing. Seems like whatever supplier DJI is using for the ultra bright display panels has some serious QC issues.

To add insult to injury, CrystalSky is not listed as a product you can select when sending an email to DJI support. So frustrated.

Might be a QC issue, might just be a serious design flaw. I read on another forum/post about someone who had a CS with a fan that was running at full speed all the time. I didn't even know these things had fans, because mine never came on - at least I didn't hear it - which may be the reason it overheated (and probably led to the backlight failure).

I contacted DJI tech support which really was a waste of time. All they suggested was that I return the unit to B&H. They weren't able to suggest a way to recover video/data from the device or reset the device to factory default and erase my personal data. I was able to pull my video content from the internal storage by connecting the HDMI Out to an external monitor (also works with DJI Goggles). To enable HDMI Out, I used a strong flashlight to front-light the dead display and navigate to the CS menu. Then I was able to copy the files to an SD card and also reset the entire device (deleting all personal data) to factory defaults.

Returns/refunds for B&H for the CS are done through a company called "Gradus Group LLC."

Reactions: Brent10
Good to hear. I sent mine back for a refund and purchased a kit with 3-batteries on Amazon. Everything is working fine now and no overheating since I installed an update that addresses the problem. The prompt to update never showed up on my last unit . . .

I feel an update/correction to my latest post in this thread is in order. I’ve been using the second UB CS unit for a couple or so days now, running it continuously for 4-6 hours at a time.

Here are my observations on a typical day of use:

The device gets very, very warm when operated in the shade of a garage on a 70-75 degree day while the display is set to full brightness. I do not hear the cooling fans turn on, but because the unit is so warm and I do not want to risk another screen burn-out, I dim the screen to near minimum brightness in the display settings.

The device continues to be useable, but seems to run slow for a near-$1,000, limited-use computer tablet, especially when I compare it to the overall useabilty and feel of my iPhone 7s or late-model Samsung Tablet S3. The phone and S3 tablet just seem to be a lot smoother and more responsive in touch-screen use. The phone and tablet also seem to work much better with DJI GO 4, their own OS’s, and third party apps like Litchi and Drone Harmony.

Automated flight seems more fluid and responsive on the phone and S3 Tab and the overall experience just seems more “solid and trustworthy” on these devices than on the CrystalSky.

While this second CS unit does manage to run continuously (and not crash) for 4 hours or so, on one day I took it out into direct sunlight and got an overheating message after only a few minutes.

I have tried many ways to find the perfect solution for my needs. The DJI goggles didn’t focus, were too cumbersome and require a spotter. I’m sending them back.

The Epson Moverio glasses work well but have a cumbersome user interface and HID (touch pad). I’m keeping them for backup and/or dual-user experience.

As others have stated, I too am not so sure the CS is ready to meet the needs of serious drone users.

As of now, I am seriously considering returning the CrystalSky for a refund.

Reactions: Gburnstein
There seem to be a number of problems with the CS. Mine would not get brighter. Send it back and DJI replaced it. It get very warm, and it is 10F outside. The other day it would not connect to the net. I had to do a reboot.

Reactions: Gburnstein
When I play around with my CS Ultra and CS 5.5 and install/test other apps from the play store, it doesn't get hot and the fan never comes on. As soon as I fire up DJI Go 4 4.1.18, it starts to get hot and the fan turns on. When I stop using 4.1.18 and use Litchi or UcGS or Drone Harmony, the fans turn off and the back of the unit cools down.

This leads me to believe that 4.1.18 is the reason for the overheating and I am perplexed that DJI are not upgrading it to the latest version in the CS

According to the comments in this video DJI is replacing burnt out ultrabrite crystalsky with the 1000 nit display's without making up the price difference..
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Here's an update on my CS situation:

The first UBCS 7.85" I bought failed after a couple of hours or so. Was overheating like crazy and just burning through the battery (note I didn't say batteries because the unit failed before I even got through ONE battery, in other words, it failed within an hour or two of operation). The screen flickered briefly and then went dark, never to return to normal.

I have a NEW unit (not replaced, but purchased from another vendor) now and it seems to be WORKING JUST FINE. No overheating, normal battery consumption and with the new firmware and DJI Go update, I'm starting to like it - a lot.

I suggest you do not return your unit for exchange (but for a refund). Get your money back and buy a new one from ANOTHER vendor until you get one that works. If the vendors keep losing sales on bad units, they will be more likely to join us in complaining to DJI about getting the CSs to work right. My 2 cents.

My Ultra went blank after less than 20 minutes of use so I sent it back for a refund and ordered the high brightness

Tested the high brightness all weekend and so far its nice, can see everything better than the tablets or cell phones but it's not as bright as the Ultra

The difference is NOT worth losing a grand and possibly a drone, I almost lost mine when screen went black but luckily I was able to bring her home

We use the Ultra Bright, we have 4, two have been replaced so far but the replacements are working. If you do a side by side, there is a noticeable and distinct difference in brightness. That being said, the high bright is extremely bright compared to anything other than an ultra bright.

According to the comments in this video DJI is replacing burnt out ultrabrite crystalsky with the 1000 nit display's without making up the price difference..
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
We have gotten two Ultra Brights replaced with Ultra Brights, we use @Advexure , they have been great to work with.

I read in many places that the Ultra version had issues, so I did not buy one, not to mention the £250 premium over the high brightness version. After a lot on consultation and advice and user experience reports of the Hi brightness version, I personally opted for that one, saved a lot of money in the process, and I have to say is more than sufficient in all conditions. I've taken mine to Spain - fierce sunshine there - and the 1000 nits version is more than adequate

Here's an update on my CS situation:

The first UBCS 7.85" I bought failed after a couple of hours or so. Was overheating like crazy and just burning through the battery (note I didn't say batteries because the unit failed before I even got through ONE battery, in other words, it failed within an hour or two of operation). The screen flickered briefly and then went dark, never to return to normal.

I have a NEW unit (not replaced, but purchased from another vendor) now and it seems to be WORKING JUST FINE. No overheating, normal battery consumption and with the new firmware and DJI Go update, I'm starting to like it - a lot.

I suggest you do not return your unit for exchange (but for a refund). Get your money back and buy a new one from ANOTHER vendor until you get one that works. If the vendors keep losing sales on bad units, they will be more likely to join us in complaining to DJI about getting the CSs to work right. My 2 cents.

I am not nearly as forgiving frankly. When I buy a product costing nearly £1000 I expect a certain quality, not this level of quality control DJI still do not appear to have gotten over. If you receive a faulty £1000 product, you should jump down DJI's throats for it to hit home their incompetence for putting out a regularly high rate of quality. You do not get this from companies like Sony, or Apple, or other manufacturers pumping out high value products , and you get FAR better customer care also. Putting all that aside, I was put off by all the unreliability reports I read on the Ultra, and the price difference put me off more ! The 1000 nits version is more than sufficient even in sunshine, frankly

My CS Ultra failed today after 30 minutes into a flight with my Mavic Pro. It just went dark. I have used this unit for less than 3 hours. It got very hot and I did not hear any fans.

My regular CS is working fine, thank goodness. Looks like a trip to DJI is in the future.

My CS Ultra failed today after 30 minutes into a flight with my Mavic Pro. It just went dark. I have used this unit for less than 3 hours. It got very hot and I did not hear any fans.

My regular CS is working fine, thank goodness. Looks like a trip to DJI is in the future.
Do you find the High Brightness CS good enough for flying in the sun or is it smarter to just wait some more for DJI to find a fix for the Ultra brite,
I flew with my ipad mini 2 this morning and hated it , and it was overcast...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers