Courtesy

Jax

Reaction score
Here's an interesting one I wanted to canvas opinions about:

Was out flying the other day, in what was obviously a very popular spot. When I arrived, there was a P3 in the air, though by the time I'd set-up and took off, it was gone.

I took off and grabbed some footage until my first battery started showing 30%. Landed, swapped batteries and took off again.

As I was swapping batteries, I noticed not far from me, another P3 owner setting up and calibrating his compass.

All good, I thought - I only need a couple more flyovers, I'll be outta here within 10 minutes

So I take off and start shooting again. I get a shot and look up to see my aircraft (as I much prefer to fly VLOS unless actually shooting), and see it hovering in mid-air just above me. I'm utterly confused for a second before I realise that the one above me is the other owner's, and mine is out where I thought it would be. I was done, so I bring it back to land. The other owner walks up to me and starts chatting, saying 'I went up high to get some stuff while you were down low'

Great, I thought - but it got me thinking about courtesy when there's more than one drone around.

I read on another post, up to 6 other drones flying around the area. To me, that sounds confusing at best, and it feels like you're putting a lot of trust in other pilots that they're not reckless (either deliberately or ignorantly).

When the other owner turned up when I was flying I figured if he launched before me, I'd let him fly around for a bit and then launch mine back up. The batteries aren't the longest lasting in the world, so you don't necessarily have to wait for too long. But if there were a few there, it's entirely possibly your options are fly amongst others or don't fly at all..

What are your thoughts on pilot/drone courtesy in popular spots?

Where I live, there is hardly anyone be me that has a drone. I don't run into that situation at all so far.
But, I would think that if I did have it arise, I would probably go and talk to the other pilot. See where he is going to fly and see if that would conflict where I was going to fly.
You kinda gotta play it by ear. It would be good to know that if you were both up in the air, where each other is EXPECTED to be. It would probably make me attentive to what, and where I was flying for sure.
It is an interesting point that you have brought up. I don't recall seeing any other posts on this subject. (or maybe I just passed over them) LOL.

I am curious to what others here have to say as well.

Have had only two encounters with other pilots in my favorite spot to fly. The first was uneventful. We agreed that when one landed, the other would fly. No big deal. Worked out great. Nice guy. No issues.
Weeks later a second drone pilot shows up there and according to him was an expert phantom pilot and videographer. Well, ok. [emoji849]. He wanted some shots of his drone airborne, so we agreed to fly formation and trade videos at a later date. After flying for about 15 minutes we returned to the home point to land. I was first to land and did my usual hover at 6 feet altitude and did my standard hand catch that I always do. He made a comment that it was dangerous and I should never hand catch. Really? Whatever dude. I had my camera still on and pointed at his drone for his landing as agreed.

His Phantom came in a bit hot, (fast) bounced once, came back down and flipped....breaking a prop and tearing the camera/gimbal completely off the bird. Tough luck guy. I said something like... "that's why I'm not comfortable landing sometimes and prefer to hand catch. Anything can happen and I would rather not take the chance."

Haven't seen the guy since. Still got his video though. That was a helluva bounce!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Mark The Droner
Communication is key. It is an issue since we fly in 'unrestricted airspace' with the caveat that we defer to any manned craft.

If you know what the other guy is doing, it's much harder to screw up. Sort of similar situation at a busy boat ramp. Although there are protocols and etiquette it's usually better to talk to people and see what their plans and concerns are. You can usually create a plan that is more efficient than a free for all.

I agree communication is best - but what about if you are unable to locate the other pilot? We all know it's easy to fly a fair way away, and it may be very difficult (or impossible depending how far the other drone has flown) to locate the other pilot.

I was lucky in that the guy who was setting up towards the end of my flight was doin so quite near me, but I spent some time attempting to locate the owner of the drone that was in the air when I arrived to no avail.

It's easy to imagine a situation where all three of us could have ended up flying all at the same time - I was happy to wait until the first drone was gone before disappearing, but you're trusting that others afford you the same courtesy, or will also attempt to locate you if they decide to start flying as well.

Here's an interesting one I wanted to canvas opinions about:

Was out flying the other day, in what was obviously a very popular spot. When I arrived, there was a P3 in the air, though by the time I'd set-up and took off, it was gone.

I took off and grabbed some footage until my first battery started showing 30%. Landed, swapped batteries and took off again.

As I was swapping batteries, I noticed not far from me, another P3 owner setting up and calibrating his compass.

All good, I thought - I only need a couple more flyovers, I'll be outta here within 10 minutes

So I take off and start shooting again. I get a shot and look up to see my aircraft (as I much prefer to fly VLOS unless actually shooting), and see it hovering in mid-air just above me. I'm utterly confused for a second before I realise that the one above me is the other owner's, and mine is out where I thought it would be. I was done, so I bring it back to land. The other owner walks up to me and starts chatting, saying 'I went up high to get some stuff while you were down low'

Great, I thought - but it got me thinking about courtesy when there's more than one drone around.

I read on another post, up to 6 other drones flying around the area. To me, that sounds confusing at best, and it feels like you're putting a lot of trust in other pilots that they're not reckless (either deliberately or ignorantly).

When the other owner turned up when I was flying I figured if he launched before me, I'd let him fly around for a bit and then launch mine back up. The batteries aren't the longest lasting in the world, so you don't necessarily have to wait for too long. But if there were a few there, it's entirely possibly your options are fly amongst others or don't fly at all..

What are your thoughts on pilot/drone courtesy in popular spots?
The guy above you was violating the rule about not flying over anyone not involved in the operation (you flying your bird did not automatically involve you with his). Sounds like bad form to me.

His Phantom came in a bit hot, (fast) bounced once, came back down and flipped....breaking a prop and tearing the camera/gimbal completely off the bird. Tough luck guy. I said something like... "that's why I'm not comfortable landing sometimes and prefer to hand catch. Anything can happen and I would rather not take the chance."

Haven't seen the guy since. Still got his video though. That was a helluva bounce!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I'm new to drones (having a blast) but am farrr from new at motorcycles and that sounds like he was trying to show off. I see the same thing with riders all the time. Show off = something breaks

Reactions: Tim in Florida
I have never flown in an area where there were other drones in the same area.

If I were that other drone owner I would have waited or flown completely away from you.

And I thought radio interferences are a big concern: it is not recommended to fly several drones in the same area.

I have never flown in an area where there were other drones in the same area.

If I were that other drone owner I would have waited or flown completely away from you.

And I thought radio interferences are a big concern: it is not recommended to fly several drones in the same area.

I may be wrong but I think the Phantom - at least the 3s I have - uses secured comms, hence the need to link the controller to the aircraft like I have with my RC Spektrum DS6. I think I also read that it does frequency hopping. If I'm right then a handful of drones should be no problem at all.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1