Could Flat Earthers Turn Violent? (Threatening YouTube Vids)

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been watching a few videos recently debating whether the earth is flat or not. And one thing that strikes me is how vitriolic some flat earthers are towards scientists. Particularly, Neil DeGrasse. Some videos are quite threatening towards him and general scientists. Their language and anger seems similar to people and groups such as racist, homophobic, anti-abortion and other groups who have used violence. Could people who believe the earth is flat be a threat to scientists and astronomers?

I was shocked how angry they are towards science authors and teachers. There is one video where a 'flat earther' rips up a childrens science book in a Target store and then buys. He even asks the cashier to put the ripped up book into a bag.

This is a video which shows the guy ripping up the book. There is also another video where is thrown out of a hotel for threatening someone.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Sixgun89
Just look back 400 years how the Church treated Galileo. I watched a few of those utube videos a while back. People believe more incredible things than that without evidence and behave badly when challenged.

Reactions: DKG13CC
It’s a General propensity toward violence. Both sides of the confederate monument “protests”, antifa practicing their own brand of violent fascism, now groups violently targeting them as well, etc. etc. etc.: even the “Mod Removed” protests ended up with leaders being investigated for violent rhetoric.

Violence is now the norm: when St. Louis exploded after the Michael brown verdict, NOBODY on the news, etc. uttered the words “violent riot”: it was a “protest”...sorry, protest is somebody at the courthouse with a sign, not a mob of thugs looting stores and burning overturned police cars... Until we get back to the point where we can call violence what it is instead of just sugarcoating it (or, conversely, overstating it) based on our own personal agenda, we can accept this violent society as the new normal. Violence isn’t the exclusive domain of left or right: as soon as we start to admit that, we may be able to get it back under control.

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s a General propensity toward violence. Both sides of the confederate monument “protests”, antifa practicing their own brand of violent fascism, now groups violently targeting them as well, etc. etc. etc.: even the “Mod Removed” protests ended up with leaders being investigated for violent rhetoric.

Violence is now the norm: when St. Louis exploded after the Michael brown verdict, NOBODY on the news, etc. uttered the words “violent riot”: it was a “protest”...sorry, protest is somebody at the courthouse with a sign, not a mob of thugs looting stores and burning overturned police cars... Until we get back to the point where we can call violence what it is instead of just sugarcoating it (or, conversely, overstating it) based on our own personal agenda, we can accept this violent society as the new normal. Violence isn’t the exclusive domain of left or right: as soon as we start to admit that, we may be able to get it back under control.

Are you arguing that scientists have a propensity to violence too? If not, then where are you going with the "both left and right are violent" assertion in the context of this thread?

Reactions: With The Birds
Are you arguing that scientists have a propensity to violence too? If not, then where are you going with the "both left and right are violent" assertion in the context of this thread?
I’m positing just where the propensity for violence comes from: it’s simply become the acceptable norm to get what you want, it’s a societal issue, not specific to scientists. When violence is the unspoken synonym to “protest” in the generally used and accepted dialogue, it’s pretty much a given that a fringe group would go there first in order to further their cause.

The violence that the scientific community imparts upon the public is much more nuanced than that.

I’m positing just where the propensity for violence comes from: it’s simply become the acceptable norm to get what you want, it’s a societal issue, not specific to scientists. When violence is the unspoken synonym to “protest” in the generally used and accepted dialogue, it’s pretty much a given that a fringe group would go there first in order to further their cause.

The violence that the scientific community imparts upon the public is much more nuanced than that.

Words fail me.

Hi, I am very confused. What do you mean by this?

Reactions: With The Birds
Hi, I am very confused. What do you mean by this?
I guess you missed the assorted works of the scientific community over the last few millennia.... for every polio vaccine, there’s been about a hundred organophosphate pesticides and nuclear weapons...

Don’t worry too much about the flat-earthers, there’s really not too much you can do about somebody that is that far off the deep end anyway. They’re no more dangerous than anybody else that makes their threats on YouTube... if it reaches the level of a prosecutable threat, they’ll get a visit. If not, the ones that would actually do anything beyond their keyboard are in the one in a few million plus category. Anybody famous will get threats from the lunatic fringe, always have, always will. Don’t read too much into it being the “voice of a movement”...

I guess you missed the assorted works of the scientific community over the last few millennia.... for every polio vaccine, there’s been about a hundred organophosphate pesticides and nuclear weapons...

Don’t worry too much about the flat-earthers, there’s really not too much you can do about somebody that is that far off the deep end anyway. They’re no more dangerous than anybody else that makes their threats on YouTube... if it reaches the level of a prosecutable threat, they’ll get a visit. If not, the ones that would actually do anything beyond their keyboard are in the one in a few million plus category. Anybody famous will get threats from the lunatic fringe, always have, always will. Don’t read too much into it being the “voice of a movement”...
Mankind (or at lest some within it) will unfortunately always find an evil use or a means for profit in the face of potential harm for certain new discoveries and advancements that lend themselves to it.

What might you propose as a remedy?

Halt all scientific research and experimentation?

That would be ridiculous.

Mankind (or at lest some within it) will unfortunately always find an evil use or a means for profit in the face of potential harm for certain new discoveries and advancements that lend themselves to it.

What might you propose as a remedy?

Halt all scientific research and experimentation?

That would be ridiculous.
Who said it needed a remedy? The vast majority of scientific progress we’ve seen has negatives and positives: pesticides have a long list of health problems attributed to them: but they also saved a spectacular number of people from malaria. Nuclear weapons have their downside, of course, but name the last time two nuclear-armed countries went to direct war with each other; we’ve had a 73 year stretch now without major powers directly fighting one another: that’s pretty much unheard of in the previous history.

IMHO, the worst threat to us from the scientific community is its funding; the scientific community being used as a tool not for scientific progress, but for support of an agenda or commercial purposes. Universities and “think tanks” will come up with any scientific conclusion their benefactor wants to see. That’s by no means a new condition, but it seems to have reached new heights in this century..

The fact remains that, once you have taken that with a hefty grain of salt and thrown out most of the “studies” that don’t do anything to further the body of scientific knowledge anyway, science is still capable of coming up with actual progress from time to time..As long as the net result of said progress stays positive, a “remedy” would probably be unnecessary, or at the very least just a general bad idea..

Last edited:
Reactions: Brother Dave
Getting back to the whole FE thing what you have is an assortment of nut jobs that, for one reason or another, seek to shout from the rooftops that the world is flat and that we're being lied to by:

1. NASA
2. Teachers
3. Text books
4. Politicians
5. Scientists
6. etc. etc. etc

NASA is the main identifiable target but science in general is subject to scorn because scientists engage in, well, not science, but scientism™.

Perhaps the single biggest sub-group in the FE community are religious nuts that hate science for the perceived second Crucifixion of Christ. But, it's not just Christian nuts, religions of many descriptions have ardent followers of FE. There are of course a large number of conspiracy nuts that spout off about chemtrails, 911, school shootings (crisis actors) and many other things in addition to FE. Not the largest group but one that fuels some of the more virulent FE and conspiracy nonsense are nation state trolls who seek to destabilize the west and have had great success and assistance in that effort.

I've followed the FE stuff for a couple years and for the most part they are harmless from a violence standpoint, but the corrosive attacks on science and authority are where the real harm is. I've not personally seen any FE types suggesting violence but if anyone can point to FE figures that are please report them.

Brian

Reactions: Slim.Slamma
Getting back to the whole FE thing what you have is an assortment of nut jobs that, for one reason or another, seek to shout from the rooftops that the world is flat and that we're being lied to by:

1. NASA
2. Teachers
3. Text books
4. Politicians
5. Scientists
6. etc. etc. etc

NASA is the main identifiable target but science in general is subject to scorn because scientists engage in, well, not science, but scientism™.

Perhaps the single biggest sub-group in the FE community are religious nuts that hate science for the perceived second Crucifixion of Christ. But, it's not just Christian nuts, religions of many descriptions have ardent followers of FE. There are of course a large number of conspiracy nuts that spout off about chemtrails, 911, school shootings (crisis actors) and many other things in addition to FE. Not the largest group but one that fuels some of the more virulent FE and conspiracy nonsense are nation state trolls who seek to destabilize the west and have had great success and assistance in that effort.

I've followed the FE stuff for a couple years and for the most part they are harmless from a violence standpoint, but the corrosive attacks on science and authority are where the real harm is. I've not personally seen any FE types suggesting violence but if anyone can point to FE figures that are please report them.

Brian

This is my main issue with much of society in general these days. There are so many people out there who just scoff at scientists and act as if they actually know better than the people who have spent their lives studying and becoming experts at a specific discipline. If a scientific conclusion doesn't align with their ideology, they simply ignore it. It's really just arrogance in its purest form.

Reactions: sar104
On the flip side of that, the older I get, the more I realize that advanced degrees, certifications, “expert status”, etc. in no way disqualifies one from either being dishonest, intellectually or otherwise, or simply a garden variety idiot.

You’ve always got to follow the money.

The flat-earth bunch of today is basically drawn from the bottom of the barrel of conspiracy nut jobs. To anybody who will insist that fire won’t cut steel, in a world built using acetylene, latching on to the current version of the FE theory is child’s play.
The medieval version of FE was simply based on the science popular at the time, plus common observations. Today’s version is not a denial of science, it’s to the contrary simply a version that science is in on the scam driven by the bilderbergs, the reptilians, etc. to hide their control of the earth”s natural resources and climate. It’s not an issue of “scientists don’t know what they’re talking about”, it’s simply that’s science is lying to us about it, along with everybody else.

At some point the whole theory just becomes enough of an interlocking web of conspiracies as to leave Occam’s razor rolling on the floor, incapacitated by stunned laughter, but that’s of course not going to stop the FE faithful: logic doesn’t often stand in the way of a good conspiracy.

One way or another, you’re no more at risk from this bunch than from any other bunch of far-out conspiracy freaks: if you’re unhinged, you’re unhinged. Assigning it to religion, politics, etc. just shows your own agenda; crazy is crazy, and it comes from all sectors. The fact that the FE contingent includes nutty atheists as well as nutty Christians, Jews, et. al., really ought to throw up a serious red flag on the idea that this is at all a religion-driven nuttiness. Can the FE doctrine accept religious factors? Absolutely. It really works better without it, though...it has a hard time surviving without the scientific community being in on the scam, however. It’s pretty tough to seamlessly transport a 747 from one edge of the earth to another without some pretty serious scientific and technical involvement. Saying it’s an attack on religious doctrine in the process is ancillary at best.

If you think religion is irrelevant to FE perhaps you might visit some of the YT channels and see for yourself. Not everyone into FE is a religious nut, but many are and again, look for yourself.

The nation state actors playing up FE do so as part of an agenda to convince people to distrust all authority and in that regard NASA is the foremost authority and must be attacked. Sadly, the nation state trolls playing this game have many willing assistants here and elsewhere.

Brian

Irrelevant? No more than any other ancillary condition that the particularly nutty FE folks may have. There’s atheists with the same fruitcake beliefs as well. Either could attribute their FE belief to that without much loss to the core belief here. Religion or the lack thereof simply isn’t necessary to the premise. I’ve seen some pretty hardcore atheists (or at the very least, agnostics) wade into the FE cesspool with reckless abandon as well. I really think attributing the “movement” as a whole to religion really says more about you than it would about them....

Irrelevant? No more than any other ancillary condition that the particularly nutty FE folks may have. There’s atheists with the same fruitcake beliefs as well. Either could attribute their FE belief to that without much loss to the core belief here. Religion or the lack thereof simply isn’t necessary to the premise. I’ve seen some pretty hardcore atheists (or at the very least, agnostics) wade into the FE cesspool with reckless abandon as well. I really think attributing the “movement” as a whole to religion really says more about you than it would about them....

And again I ask you to peruse some of the home pages of the FE zealots -- religion most definitely plays a role with a good many of them. High in the list of words in the FE vocabulary is "Firmament" which, as you should know, has biblical roots (Genesis Creation Narrative). But, as I said, there are other 'types' that populate the FE community.

Brian

Here, I'll do the work for ya...

Here's the info on a channel called "FlatEarthDoctrine"

The earth is stationary and FLAT because God’s Word is ALWAYS Faithful and True! (Rev. 19:11) 240+ Bible verses reveal the earth to be stationary and FLAT with a dome (aka Firmament) over-head: Over 200 Bible scriptures say the earth is FLAT! #FlatEarthDoctrine

Or how about "Celebrate Truth"

To promote God's Truth and expose the world's lies. What if everything that NASA & Science has taught you about the earth, sun, moon, stars & space was a lie? What is Satan wanted to destroy the foundations of God's Word with perverting the truth of the enclosed flat earth we live in from the very start? It might sound crazy but take the journey and study this topic because it might be the most shocking truth you've ever discovered about the world you live in. Open your bible and read all the verses describing God's creation again. Evolution is a lie and teaching nothing more than you were just an accident in a big bang. Monkey Man Science is all part of the great deception. Don't believe the lies. Check out my latest documentary films Scientism Exposed 1 & 2 Also, Scientism Exposed: Hiding the True Creator of Creation in paperback and ebook. Learn more at CelebrateTruth.org

Or check out some of the video titles "7th Day Truth Seeker"

And then check out the comments sections of many FE videos as they are filled with religious nonsense -- a video about FE will often have comments about 'The Flood" and other biblical stories by the FE proponents.

Brian

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers